The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

The real question is what is the negative predictive value of the PCR diagnostics for EHV-1 at 5 days? The linked article spoke about positive predictive value, but in order to rule out disease you'd want a test with high sensitivity and high negative predictive value.

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    I didn't see that article answering the question, unless I am misreading?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

DOME,

I am also really confused by your 5 day quarantine plan. If this was considered accurate why the quarantine at HITS? Why not just test everyone? It is your choice to risk the health and lives of the horses in YOUR barn but I sincerely hope you don't consider showing over the next two weeks and risk exposing many others.

5 members found this post helpful.

New York State has restricted interstate travel at this time to all horses exposed to the EHV-1 in Ocala. I tried to copy and paste link from my phone with no luck... It can be found if you google EHV-1 2013.... Wonder if other states will follow suit?

Quote Originally Posted by Equsrider View Post
    New York State has restricted interstate travel at this time to all horses exposed to the EHV-1 in Ocala.
    I wonder how they plan to enforce such a thing.

The article explains that they request to be notified by anyone having knowledge of horses returning.

Quote Originally Posted by LizzyM View Post
    DOME,

I am also really confused by your 5 day quarantine plan. If this was considered accurate why the quarantine at HITS? Why not just test everyone? It is your choice to risk the health and lives of the horses in YOUR barn but I sincerely hope you don't consider showing over the next two weeks and risk exposing many others.
    I did not read in her post that she is showing anytime soon. She seems to be very proactive and responsible. Let's just hope that others follow her lead.

1 members found this post helpful.

The 7 horses are still in quarantine. They have not been exposed to any other horses, and will not be until 100% sure they will not put other at risk. We will show the ones who have been home all winter.
    Ramble On Farm

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DOME View Post
    The 7 horses are still in quarantine. They have not been exposed to any other horses, and will not be until 100% sure they will not put other at risk. We will show the ones who have been home all winter.
    Great to hear. Thank you for being responsible.

I am confused about the incubation period of 21 days everyone keeps throwing out on this post. Everything I have read says incubation og just 3-10 days and in rare caes 14 days. where is the 21 days coming from?

I am looking for some advice as I am not familiar with what most barns will be doing upon returning from Ocala. Everyone except for my horse and two others remained at home this winter. All 14 that were down at HITS for the past 6 weeks are returning the day after the current quarantine is lifted. There has been no plan for them to be brought to another facility away from the unexposed horses and the barn is not set up to quarantine. Would it be rash to consider moving my horse for the month following the return of these horses? Thanks

http://www.aaep.org/pdfs/control_gui...es%20Virus.pdf

<<Shedding Time of Organism Past Resolution of Clinical Signs
    Likely for up to a week, possible for 21 days or more.>>

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...v-1-hits-ocala

<<There is no other restriction on horse movement right now, and the show is going on as usual,” said show manager Kristen Vale.

“The standard EHV quarantine duration is 21 days, from what I understood from the vet this morning, so right now, that’s what we’re expecting,” she continued. >>
    ~Veronica

East west, I would certainly think about your options. If no other horses at HITS get sick in the next 3 weeks,your risk is low. If a horses runs fevers but no one notices, the horse could still be shedding virus when he arrives home.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/nahss/e...ons_051611.pdf

Emphasis mine...

<<Management Option 1 (Best)
    Confirmed and suspect EHV-1 and EHM cases should remain isolated with no movement of
    horses in or out of the affected premises for a period of at least 21 days from the resolution of
    clinical signs in all horses on the premise
    s. Daily monitoring of rectal temperaturesfor all horses
    on the premisesshould continue through the 21 day period and horses should not be on any nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) during this time, as NSAIDs will mask a fever. If
    no new suspect or confirmed cases are identified during the 21 days, then sample all exposed
    horses on the premises using real-time or nested PCR testing of nasal swabs. If all negative
    results are obtained, the quarantine can be discontinued

Management Option 2 (For premises with many horses where Option 1 may be economically
    impractical)
    Confirmed and suspect EHV-1 and EHM cases should remain isolated with no movement of
    horses in or out of the affected premises for a period of at least 28 days from the resolution of
    clinical signs in all horses on the premises
    . Daily monitoring of rectal temperatures for all horses
    on the premises should continue through the 28 day period and horses should not be on any
    NSAIDs during this time. If no new suspect or confirmed cases are identified within this 28 day
    period, then the quarantine can be discontinued with no additional diagnostic testing.
    >>

Sorry, that didn't cut and paste well.

I have never heard of waiting a week, testing, and then re-integrating exposed horses. I don't doubt ANYONE'S good intentions. I'm just saying, I have never never heard of re-integrating horses into a show barn a week after exposure. The horses from HITS could give it to the other horses, and if THEY leave the property-- the exposure can spread. It just seems far more prudent, if exposes horses are already in quarantine, to leave them in quarantine for another 2 weeks, retest, and then reintegrate.
    ~Veronica

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    If anyone cares to dredge up the threads from last year's outbreak at Thermal, there were little to no consequences for the lack of quarantine. I don't know if the circumstances are exactly comparable, but there was no massive spread of disease from that show. We had horses come back from that show and our BM and vets were not concerned. The biggest impact was financial, as far as shows canceling or limping along with very low numbers. In other words, the sky didn't fall except on show organizers.
    What happened at Thermal last year definitely affected others: more than a few barns in San Diego (not just h/j barns) were on voluntary lock down during that time, just as a precaution.
    Last edited by Mardi; Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:28 PM.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

From the NY State Ag. press release:
    "Horses quarantined in Florida due to EHV-1/EHM are not allowed for interstate movement into NY at this time."

That's an important distinction: only "horses quarantined in Florida...."
    are restricted from entering the state.

Yet many escaped the HITS Ocala quarantine hours before it began.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/animals/ehv.shtml
    Virginia has implemented same restrictions as New York on horses originating from quarantined premises in Florida...
    horses in Quarantine should not be able to travel anywhere, so I am a bit confused . Wonder if this will stay in effect after quarantine is lifted?

And just how are they going to be able to peform this ? Nobody is going to go right on home from FL. And how do the know their horses are okay even with a health certifacte. Alot of farms stop at other shows and fars on the way back.