The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Edited: Nevermind. I am getting so confused with all of the press releases "it is the mutated neuro strain", now "it's not the neuro strain."

Either way, I still think they should have quarantined the whole facility from the start.
    Last edited by jlphilli; Mar. 1, 2013 at 02:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

2 members found this post helpful.

I wonder if the same commercial shipping truck might have had contact with all locations... Seems like a logical (and fast) way to move the disease.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katherine w View Post
    I wonder if the same commercial shipping truck might have had contact with all locations... Seems like a logical (and fast) way to move the disease.
    Even if a commerical shipper didn't initially transmit the disease, I'm sure they have been going like gangbusters transmitting it since the first case was identified and many owners did the selfish, ill-advised thing, and started shipping horses all over the place that had been at HITS.

1 members found this post helpful.

FalseImpression had noted this a couple of pages back.

Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    http://myemail.constantcontact.com/N...id=vwvr-Hw7p4Y

nEHV-1 has surfaced in Quebec. The horse was already euthanized.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by jody jaffe View Post
    My vet recommended against it. Said it doesn't help with the neuro kind and vaccines of any kind can stress the horse.
    That is interesting. When they had the outbreak in Saskatoon a few years back (at the Vet Hospital/university), they did think that the vaccinated horses got less sick and were more likely to recover. Obviously not a huge sample set, but enough to make me want to vaccinate.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

I may be banging my head against a wall trying to explain this but as ar as I can tell NO MUTANT VIRUS has been detected in the Ocala related horses. The wild type and mutant viruses vary by a single point mutation in their DNA. The UF released as statement that the horse from Tent 7 in Ocala was positive for wild type EHV 1. Wild type EHV 1 can have neurological symptoms but it IS NOT the MUTANT (D-strain) VIRUS. Some correct me if you have evidence to the contrary.

FL cases are NOT the Neuro strain, and the vaccine can reduce shedding to reduce severity and spreading with both strains. My horse got a booster today after talking with my VET, but it was only a month ealier than I would normally give it anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by titan View Post
    The wild type and mutant viruses vary by a single point mutation in their DNA.
    This is all it takes to render a vaccine ineffective. A single point mutation (depending on which amino acid) can cause as much as a conformational shift in the viral capsid which influences things like virulence factors, survivability, and reproductive factors in the host. Glad to hear this is the WT strain.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    FalseImpression had noted this a couple of pages back.
    Oops! Must have missed that. Sorry FalseImpression!

Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    Oops! Must have missed that. Sorry FalseImpression!
    It's all good! I didn't mean it as rudely as the text implies. Just that there are cases throughout the U.S. and Canada that aren't being talked about as much. Utah and Quebec both have dead horses from EHV-1.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Today's update from the Florida Department of Agriculture regarding EHV-1 (includes information that one horse at Miles Away Farm developed neurological signs today and is being treated at the University of Florida, College of Veterinary Medicine. )

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/ai/p...siteUpdate.pdf
    Old age is no place for sissies.
    Bette Davis

Bristol Bay, maybe there wasn't a 'massive' outbreak after Thermal last year, but up here in the PNW it continued to circulate (see post #83). Not only did one horse in the barn where I keep my horses die, but several others in our barn got sick a month or more later, after being exposed to a horse who got sick a week after returning from Thermal. Since one of the other trainers in the barn continued to show, it spread to other barns. We (my trainer) had a self-imposed quarentine that lasted for months. There was a lot of pressure from other trainers in the facility to deny that horses were sick or dead so that they could go do as they pleased. We kept the area vets in the loop and called on their expertise in educating others, but you can't make other trainers, HITS, or anyone else do the right thing.

2 members found this post helpful.

"I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by FifteenOne View Post
    Today's update from the Florida Department of Agriculture regarding EHV-1 (includes information that one horse at Miles Away Farm developed neurological signs today and is being treated at the University of Florida, College of Veterinary Medicine. )

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/ai/p...siteUpdate.pdf
    This morning, the horse would not eat. Shortly later, he was showing signs that he was not feeling well - legs splayed as if he were trying to keep his balance, and his eyes were looking from back to front rapidly. When he was haltered and asked to walk, he was stumbling and uncoordinated. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers as he fights through this terrible ordeal - he has beat the odds before (ex-racehorse turned show horse who has battled pneumonia and recovered from invasive eye surgery) and with luck and good care, he will hopefully put this behind him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by laughATTACK View Post
    This morning, the horse would not eat. Shortly later, he was showing signs that he was not feeling well - legs splayed as if he were trying to keep his balance, and his eyes were looking from back to front rapidly. When he was haltered and asked to walk, he was stumbling and uncoordinated. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers as he fights through this terrible ordeal - he has beat the odds before (ex-racehorse turned show horse who has battled pneumonia and recovered from invasive eye surgery) and with luck and good care, he will hopefully put this behind him as well.
    Sending prayers & jingles. It is a heartbreaking situation.
    Old age is no place for sissies.
    Bette Davis

Poor sweetie sounds like he's been through enough in his life. Hoping that he recovers fully. Let us know how he's doing over the coming days.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Also sending prayers for him. I'm so sorry.

LaughATTACK - Heartbreaking, so sorry and prayers to the horse

Sending more jingles as well. Hoping he fights the good fight and has a full recovery.
    Member of the Redheads with Redheads clique.
    I have a blog about Sammy: http://www.sammyssaga.blogspot.com/

I am on the show grounds in Ocala.

I think the best thing I can do for the horses in my care is to minimize their stress level by carrying on with their normal routine and not ship them until they are outside the stated incubation period.

3 members found this post helpful.