The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

As of moments ago HITS posted the following on their FB page.

"Greetings all - a horse was shipped to UF Gainsville last night with EHV symptoms. The symptoms were confirmed and the horse is stable. The tent where the horse was stabled has been quarantined and all horses are being monitored closely. Any signs of fever will be treated by vets immediately. No restrictions on horse movement on or off the show grounds have been declared at this time.

Everyone is reminded to adhere to HITS' Equine Health Entry Requirements:www.hitsshows.com/pdf/fl_equinehealth_13.pdf"
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Close enough to cause an issue..coupled with the sheer numbers of horses in and out and on and off the grounds and back and forth to other venues across the state this time of year.
    ^ This is the scary part.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...v-1-hits-ocala

This says neurological form. My trainer heard respiratory. Anyone know?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by snaffle635 View Post
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...v-1-hits-ocala

This says neurological form. My trainer heard respiratory. Anyone know?
    Peterson & Smith is reporting the neuro form.

"As some of you may have heard, Dr. Dana Zimmel with the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine has informed us that a horse from the HITS showgrounds in Ocala has been admitted to their hospital and confirmed to have the neurologic form of Equine Herpesvirus 1 (EHV-1). We will provide more info on this outbreak as it becomes available to us. In the meantime, we would like to provide information on the disease, and outbreak recommendations. A concise review has been provided by the University of California, Davis School of Veterinary Medicine. It can be viewed at this link."

As of moments ago HITS posted the following on their FB page.

"Greetings all - a horse was shipped to UF Gainsville last night with EHV symptoms. The symptoms were confirmed and the horse is stable. The tent where the horse was stabled has been quarantined and all horses are being monitored closely. Any signs of fever will be treated by vets immediately. No restrictions on horse movement on or off the show grounds have been declared at this time.

Everyone is reminded to adhere to HITS' Equine Health Entry Requirements:www.hitsshows.com/pdf/fl_equinehealth_13.pdf"
    This is pissing me off. I personally can tell you all that we were just told that the vet would not give my horse a health certificate to leave the state of FL. We had a trip planned to go down and get her and we were leaving today.
    Like I said before, my mare isn't even stabled on the show grounds so if only 1 tent is under quarantine then why is it that my horse is not free to come and go??? It's not just my horse but her trainers whole line of horses. No one is leaving....but why can't they just say that???

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't have any specific details but generally in situations like this horses, except for those under quarantine, may move within the state. If the horse has been on a facility or with other horses that have been on a facility that has a confirmed case of EHV-1 then they are probably restricted from entering any other state.

2 members found this post helpful.

i cannot see any vet giving anyone who had a horse on the showgrounds a health cert to leave the state of florida. it can take up to 21 days for signs of the nero form of herpes to show up. the tent 7 is under qt for 21 days at this point. and that is if no other cases or horses spike a fever. if they do qt starts all over again from that new date.hawthrone race track went thru this from oct of 2012 until the end of jan. 2013. they will not let you leave this state, and should not be letting people come in and out of those showgrounds either..
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

7 members found this post helpful.

We've posted an updated story... http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...v-1-hits-ocala and we'll be following this situation over the weekend.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjumpereq2 View Post
    it was race horses--nothing to do with hits or barns in ocala, is what i hear from contacts in ocala
    So are race horses affected as well? If this is true all of Ocala should just go into quarantine asap..... Wishing the best for everyone down there.

Just spoke to someone from my barn. We have 4 boarders horses competing in the jumpers there. According to my friend, one horse has died, which has not been reported and as reported by EN, the grounds are on lockdown.
    How will this effect other equestrian events in Ocala?

Quote Originally Posted by maxxtrot View Post
    i cannot see any vet giving anyone who had a horse on the showgrounds a health cert to leave the state of florida. it can take up to 21 days for signs of the nero form of herpes to show up. the tent 7 is under qt for 21 days at this point. and that is if no other cases or horses spike a fever. if they do qt starts all over again from that new date.hawthrone race track went thru this from oct of 2012 until the end of jan. 2013. they will not let you leave this state, and should not be letting people come in and out of those showgrounds either..
    You stated that you work with a vet clinic earlier so I am taking interest into your posts as I am sure you are up to date and well-briefed with the virus. How will they conduct the quarantine in the tent? It seems to me virtually impossible to quarantine one tent at a show when the tents are so close, the horses need to get out, etc. I just do not understand how it will be conducted.

Thanks for keeping us up to date!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by maxxtrot View Post
    We just got confirmation from our vet that nothing is leaving or coming into FL right now. This could last for 30 days. Fun.
    Just still wishing HITS would be open and honest about this stuff and not leave us in the dark when we pay them good money to run their shows.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
    You stated that you work with a vet clinic earlier so I am taking interest into your posts as I am sure you are up to date and well-briefed with the virus. How will they conduct the quarantine in the tent? It seems to me virtually impossible to quarantine one tent at a show when the tents are so close, the horses need to get out, etc. I just do not understand how it will be conducted.

Thanks for keeping us up to date!
    My questions lie more closely with that on a busy active densely populated show grounds like HITS Ocala with a confirmed case. How can you be so sure that that horse has not had outside contact with others on the show grounds prior to becoming symptomatic ? Seems like just quarantining one barn in this circumstance is like holding a cup of sea water and claiming there are no whales in the ocean.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    Just spoke to someone from my barn. We have 4 boarders horses competing in the jumpers there. According to my friend, one horse has died, which has not been reported and as reported by EN, the grounds are on lockdown.
    How will this effect other equestrian events in Ocala?
    Wow.... Thank you for getting the inside scoop. My prayers go out to all down there and the horse that died. Those grounds better be on lockdown. And there should virtually be no shipping of horses in that area.

My questions lie more closely with that on a busy active densely populated show grounds like HITS Ocala with a confirmed case. How can you be so sure that that horse has not had outside contact with others on the show grounds prior to becoming symptomatic ? Seems like just quarantining one barn in this circumstance is like holding a cup of sea water and claiming there are no whales in the ocean.
    Exactly, it would be one thing to control the case within the grounds but so many barns have horses at hits and their properties surrounding the area. Hoping for the best of course but this is a serious situation and I hope EVERYONE there is treating it as a serious matter.

2 members found this post helpful.

This is all very sad and scary. My heart goes out to all involved.

As a side question, who is responsible for the fees to board at HITS while horses are quarantined? Are they having to pay show stall rates? How about vet fees for monitoring? And please don't take that question as being insensitive, as that is not my intent.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
    Wow.... Thank you for getting the inside scoop. My prayers go out to all down there and the horse that died. Those grounds better be on lockdown. And there should virtually be no shipping of horses in that area.
    Honestly, while I am sorry that horses may be on lock down and unable to leave, I have no interest in having 4 horses that may have been exposed returning to the barn I am at. Seems to me that things could be reported better.

6 members found this post helpful.

I was wondering the same thing, paradox. Thank you for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    Honestly, while I am sorry that horses may be on lock down and unable to leave, I have no interest in having 4 horses that may have been exposed returning to the barn I am at. Seems to me that things could be reported better.
    I'm with you Lori....as an owner its unsettling that I had to call my vet to have him call the official vet of the show to see what's really going on. Why can't HITS just say it outright?

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jse View Post
    I'm with you Lori....as an owner its unsettling that I had to call my vet to have him call the official vet of the show to see what's really going on. Why can't HITS just say it outright?
    Because it might affect revenue. Show is still going on. If the horses were their first concern a press release would have been made by HITS on their pages FIRST. Not people shipping in to be greeted by a State vet at the gates informing them that they may show at their own risk.

8 members found this post helpful.