The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Oh no...

No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Surly Sue View Post
    While I understand not wanting to panic anyone, everyone, particularly HITS management but also the FL Dep Ag, still seem to be downplaying this as much as possible given the known facts. The more they downplay it, the less careful people are. Now HITs is saying maybe the neuro horse wasn't really neurological because maybe it just got cast? Is that why they weren't taking it seriously at all until these latest 5 cases?

Also, I see the second horse tested positive the night of the 26th but they didn't institute the quarantine until this afternoon because it took that long to decide what to do. How many horses left the grounds between the horse testing positive and closing the gates? How many horses in Tent 6 came into contact with other horses after HITs knew about the new positive test and before the quarantine was instituted? Were there people who knew the gates were going to be closed and thus got out "in time".

Quote Originally Posted by Surly Sue View Post

My stomach dropped as I read this...

Thumbs down The Show MUST Go On!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ive-test-ocala

“What they were trying to decide was how to quarantine and what areas to quarantine, but they felt that the horse show could go on. They ultimately decided to quarantine the whole grounds in that no horses may leave. Clearly, we’re trying to get the horses who are coming in to come in now and with documentation of where they came from so they can be traceable.”
    So there is a disease outbreak – no horses can leave – yet the Show Will Go On! – and they are still accepting NEW horses onto the grounds?

Am I the only one that thinks this is a little nutty? Wouldn’t be easier to reduce possible exposure if horses were not mingling in warm up arenas etc?

And why would you bring your horse TO the show – knowing that there is a disease outbreak, and that now your horse would be stuck on the grounds and part of the quarantine?

Is there ANY THING that would cause them to cancel events? Or do we have to wait for more horses to get sick for that to happen?

3 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ive-test-ocala

So there is a disease outbreak – no horses can leave – yet the Show Will Go On! – and they are still accepting NEW horses onto the grounds?

Am I the only one that thinks this is a little nutty? Wouldn’t be easier to reduce possible exposure if horses were not mingling in warm up arenas etc?

And why would you bring your horse TO the show – knowing that there is a disease outbreak, and that now your horse would be stuck on the grounds and part of the quarantine?

Is there ANY THING that would cause them to cancel events? Or do we have to wait for more horses to get sick for that to happen?
    It comes down to money as far as the show management is concerned. There is no way in h*ll I would send a horse to show given the circumstances and am shocked that a) they are allowing horses on the grounds, and b) people still want to come and c) the show is continuing, for the reasons you listed.

I'm not a vet or a trainer but allowing horses on the grounds seems highly irresponsible to me.
    Last edited by Event4Life; Feb. 27, 2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: clarification
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

3 members found this post helpful.

The show will go on..thats just absurd. Lets just spread it around as much as possible.

7 members found this post helpful.

Nope, I wouldn't go. I'd stay home. And this is one case where I rather see show fees refunded to those who scratch before arrival....but they won't. And the show obviously must go on. Ugh.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Their (the show management) actions seem to CLEARLY indicate that FEEs are MORE important than the health and well being of the HORSE.

Disgraceful.

11 members found this post helpful.

Certainly the show grounds should be closed to folks coming in. But if you have a horse already there, what do you do? You can't Lock them in their stalls for 20 day days. Colic will become a big problem, not to mention other management problems. Your horse is going to be out and about somewhat, hand walked around at the very least. Not sure actually running the show for folks already there is so horrendous. Those horses have to get out; is it that different a risk hand walking in the ring versus jumping a course? Not many good choices there.

9 members found this post helpful.

Last week I scratched my horses that were supposed to show at HITS starting this week. When I contacted the show office I was essentially told there was no reason to scratch, that it was under control and that the show was continuing "business as usual". There was no way I was going to bring my horses somewhere that had a confirmed case of a contagious disease but I was basically encouraged to still come. Had I listened, my horses would have been exposed AND been stuck in the grounds for a 21 day quarantine. Despite the 50.00 per week, per horse scratch fee - NO show is worth the health of my horses. I was shocked at the nonchalance and hope everyone uses common sense and adheres to bio security so we can get this contained.
    Last edited by Hunters Ridge; Feb. 27, 2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

19 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jr View Post
    Certainly the show grounds should be closed to folks coming in. But if you have a horse already there, what do you do? You can't Lock them in their stalls for 20 day days. Colic will become a big problem, not to mention other management problems. Your horse is going to be out and about somewhat, hand walked around at the very least. Not sure actually running the show for folks already there is so horrendous. Those horses have to get out; is it that different a risk hand walking in the ring versus jumping a course? Not many good choices there.
    They are not allowing ship-ins. It it totally quarantined at this time. Nothing in, nothing out.

Quote Originally Posted by jse View Post
    They are not allowing ship-ins. It it totally quarantined at this time. Nothing in, nothing out.
    Is the Chonicle article wrong then? Maybe it needs updating?

“The state veterinarians were absolutely involved in the decisions; we started talking last night with them about the options,” said HITS Ocala show manager Kristen Vale.

“What they were trying to decide was how to quarantine and what areas to quarantine, but they felt that the horse show could go on. They ultimately decided to quarantine the whole grounds in that no horses may leave. Clearly, we’re trying to get the horses who are coming in to come in now and with documentation of where they came from so they can be traceable.”
    Makes it sound like the show manager - Kristen Vale - is allowing more horses to come on the grounds. Maybe she misspoke?

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by jse View Post
    That is not what the article said. It said horses weren't allowed out but they were allowing horses in. Again, I say, where is the logic in this?!!!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Is the Chonicle article wrong then? Maybe it needs updating?

Makes it sound like the show manager - Kristen Vale - is allowing more horses to come on the grounds. Maybe she misspoke?
    Either she misspoke or they heard her wrong. I have friends there who stay at a farm separate from the show grounds and they are not allowed to ship-in.

How I understand they have left it.....They are not allowing ship-in to show. If you do ship in (WHY?), you can't leave until the all clear is given.

Quote Originally Posted by titan View Post
    How I understand they have left it.....They are not allowing ship-in to show. If you do ship in (WHY?), you can't leave until the all clear is given.
    But you can't ship in. Now if there are people who have travelled from afar (which I'm not sure a normal person would do at this point) to HITS to ship-in, then I'm not sure what they'd do other than let them in, document where they've come from and say "enter at your own risk. oh and you're not leaving for a long time!"

Until further notice NO horses In or Out at the HITS Show ground.

Very sad, praying for all the horses and their owners/trainer/riders and family and friends.

Didn't the press release say its tents 3, 6, & 7?

Amazing how there seems to be so much conflicting information between the press release, first-hand knowledge, FL Dept of Ag, and what HITS' PR team is saying. THATS the scariest part, to me. Nobody seems to know their (donkey) from their elbow as far as what's going on.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

4 members found this post helpful.

Which press release stated the tent numbers? Sorry ... did not see it on the Chronicle one and am curious where you found that