The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

The State is set to swab the horses in tents 3,6,7 on Monday. As long as there are no positives, the QT will be lifted Wednesday afternoon. If all those don't agree to be tested, the QT will last until Wednesday March 20.
    I think there are people in those tents that don't want to be tested because it is very easy to have a false positive.

The positive nasal swabs can be confirmed or denied via blood testing. Not consenting to a test is foolish.

3 members found this post helpful.

At whose expense? The cost could be significantly more than one more week in Hotel Ocalafornia.
    Last edited by Jumphigh83; Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: wrong icon
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

EHV-1 PRC (the most expensive test) is under $100. My vet charged me $25 for the stall side western blot test and $60 for multiple tests sent to the lab (influenza, wnv, EHV).

Having to pay for such testing is "part of doing business" if you're showing and there is an outbreak. The government is not responsible for picking up your tab if things don't go as planned (although many people think that's what the government is for... Sigh)

I don't understand all the "whose going to pay?!?" comments. I wonder if people thought the government should pay for their coggins test, because the law is requiring it?

5 members found this post helpful.

So the cost for testing is fairly close to the cost of a day's braiding bill, including a tail. I don't think that's too bad, to get your horse out of the situation. And ask your vet about "false positives" - not as common as some people say, and easy to check with a blood test. One trainer in our facility last year was screaming "false positive!" until the horse was lying dead at his feet. If you can pay to play in Florida for the winter, the cost of the tests is nothing.

7 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

A filly was euthanized yesterday or the day before at Santa Anita racetrack which is in full swing. The California Racing Commission vet said there would be no quarantine, as it is not uncommon for horses to be euthanized for this reason.

Now that's taking things lightly.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I have two gripes (and I apologize in advance for sounding so snarky):

1) WHY would anyone who is showing on the winter circuit...scratch that, on the A-circuit complaining about paying for a test that could lift the quarantine and show their animal is actually okay? It's not that expensive, it's responsible, and if you're so worried about the cost of a health test like this (which really is NOT that expensive), then perhaps you have ZERO business showing.

2) I readily admit that I allow myself to write very loosely (in terms of rules) on message boards and social media, but is it really so difficult for people to use something resembling proper grammar and spelling? Quarantine is not that difficult to spell!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    EHV-1 PRC (the most expensive test) is under $100. My vet charged me $25 for the stall side western blot test and $60 for multiple tests sent to the lab (influenza, wnv, EHV).

Having to pay for such testing is "part of doing business" if you're showing and there is an outbreak. The government is not responsible for picking up your tab if things don't go as planned (although many people think that's what the government is for... Sigh)

I don't understand all the "whose going to pay?!?" comments. I wonder if people thought the government should pay for their coggins test, because the law is requiring it?
    Plus if they don't want to pay for the test...what the heck are they going to do if their horse starts showing symptoms? There is literally nothing they can do at that point that would be anywhere remotely near the cost of the test.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

Quote Originally Posted by equisusan View Post
    Yes. Understood but the thread is on HITS Ocala. Even with EHM its worth discussing prevention measures don't you think?
    Well, there has been discussion of the IL outbreak here as well, so that's why I clarified.

And, sure, I have no problem talking about prevention measures. Here's one: stay home until the outbreak is over.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post

And, sure, I have no problem talking about prevention measures. Here's one: stay home until the outbreak is over.
    THe reason I raised control and prevention measures is because we are never going to be sure when or where the next outbreak might occur. So... do you mean everyone everywhere should stay home or just those in areas where there are active outbreaks. I think its pretty reasonable to expect that this is around these days -- and that the likelihood of it happening again somewhere else is high.

Unless we are all saying we are not shipping or showing our horses, we need to shift our focus to prevention and minimization of risk. A vaccine that works is of course one avenue, reducing horse to horse exposure in stalls at horseshows is another. Finding ways to boost immune systems without doing anything else might be another option.

Quote Originally Posted by justathought View Post
    THe reason I raised control and prevention measures is because we are never going to be sure when or where the next outbreak might occur. So... do you mean everyone everywhere should stay home or just those in areas where there are active outbreaks. I think its pretty reasonable to expect that this is around these days -- and that the likelihood of it happening again somewhere else is high.

Unless we are all saying we are not shipping or showing our horses, we need to shift our focus to prevention and minimization of risk. A vaccine that works is of course one avenue, reducing horse to horse exposure in stalls at horseshows is another. Finding ways to boost immune systems without doing anything else might be another option.
    I was referring to areas where there are active outbreaks, although I personally think it makes sense for everyone to stay home for a little while because there are so many horses returning to their respective non-FL homes right now.

In general, I think vaccination and good judgment are good protections (no nose-to-nose touching at shows, etc.).

I heard from a friend (who heard from her vet) that most of the cases (multiple states) can be traced to one shipper. Has anyone else heard this? Obviously the HITS connection with those who have been to HITS but I think she meant some of the others.
    Visit my website @ http://hihorsefarm.tripod.com (PONIES!)
    and
    http://heidalaycavaliers.tripod.com (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

It is my understanding HITS is picking up the tab for the nasal swabs.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel0309 View Post
    I heard from a friend (who heard from her vet) that most of the cases (multiple states) can be traced to one shipper. Has anyone else heard this? Obviously the HITS connection with those who have been to HITS but I think she meant some of the others.

And the shipper is? People are going to (hopefully) be able to come and go -

Quote Originally Posted by justathought View Post

And look at that we still agree. I'm going to be showing and shipping and other horses at the same farms will be too. I would, of course, not try to put my horse in direct danger but sometimes danger is invisible and I believe lots of things about our sport are risky.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Quarantine to be lifted from HITS Ocala tomorrow:
    http://www.freshfromflorida.com/ai/p...siteUpdate.pdf
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Hallalujah.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Wow, I couldn't decide whether to laugh or shake my head in sadness. So I did both, and it really confused my co-workers. Thanks for the update though.

Quote Originally Posted by Button View Post
    Wow, I couldn't decide whether to laugh or shake my head in sadness. So I did both, and it really confused my co-workers. Thanks for the update though.
    I thought about it for a second elected to roll my eyes Then I did the same thing.