The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast
Results 561 to 580 of 585
  1. #561
    Join Date
    Jun. 16, 2006
    Location
    Rochester NY
    Posts
    310

    Default

    The State is set to swab the horses in tents 3,6,7 on Monday. As long as there are no positives, the QT will be lifted Wednesday afternoon. If all those don't agree to be tested, the QT will last until Wednesday March 20.
    I think there are people in those tents that don't want to be tested because it is very easy to have a false positive.



  2. #562
    Join Date
    Mar. 8, 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    19,592

    Default

    The positive nasal swabs can be confirmed or denied via blood testing. Not consenting to a test is foolish.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  3. #563
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 1999
    Location
    Averill Park NY and Citra Fl
    Posts
    5,575

    Default

    At whose expense? The cost could be significantly more than one more week in Hotel Ocalafornia.
    Last edited by Jumphigh83; Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: wrong icon
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.



  4. #564
    Join Date
    Nov. 8, 2006
    Posts
    2,384

    Default

    EHV-1 PRC (the most expensive test) is under $100. My vet charged me $25 for the stall side western blot test and $60 for multiple tests sent to the lab (influenza, wnv, EHV).

    Having to pay for such testing is "part of doing business" if you're showing and there is an outbreak. The government is not responsible for picking up your tab if things don't go as planned (although many people think that's what the government is for... Sigh)

    I don't understand all the "whose going to pay?!?" comments. I wonder if people thought the government should pay for their coggins test, because the law is requiring it?


    5 members found this post helpful.

  5. #565
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 2001
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    3,770

    Default

    So the cost for testing is fairly close to the cost of a day's braiding bill, including a tail. I don't think that's too bad, to get your horse out of the situation. And ask your vet about "false positives" - not as common as some people say, and easy to check with a blood test. One trainer in our facility last year was screaming "false positive!" until the horse was lying dead at his feet. If you can pay to play in Florida for the winter, the cost of the tests is nothing.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  6. #566
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt
    Posts
    18,266

    Default

    A filly was euthanized yesterday or the day before at Santa Anita racetrack which is in full swing. The California Racing Commission vet said there would be no quarantine, as it is not uncommon for horses to be euthanized for this reason.

    Now that's taking things lightly.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire



  7. #567
    Join Date
    Mar. 11, 2005
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    4,878

    Default

    I have two gripes (and I apologize in advance for sounding so snarky):

    1) WHY would anyone who is showing on the winter circuit...scratch that, on the A-circuit complaining about paying for a test that could lift the quarantine and show their animal is actually okay? It's not that expensive, it's responsible, and if you're so worried about the cost of a health test like this (which really is NOT that expensive), then perhaps you have ZERO business showing.

    2) I readily admit that I allow myself to write very loosely (in terms of rules) on message boards and social media, but is it really so difficult for people to use something resembling proper grammar and spelling? Quarantine is not that difficult to spell!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique



  8. #568
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2011
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    2,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    EHV-1 PRC (the most expensive test) is under $100. My vet charged me $25 for the stall side western blot test and $60 for multiple tests sent to the lab (influenza, wnv, EHV).

    Having to pay for such testing is "part of doing business" if you're showing and there is an outbreak. The government is not responsible for picking up your tab if things don't go as planned (although many people think that's what the government is for... Sigh)

    I don't understand all the "whose going to pay?!?" comments. I wonder if people thought the government should pay for their coggins test, because the law is requiring it?
    Plus if they don't want to pay for the test...what the heck are they going to do if their horse starts showing symptoms? There is literally nothing they can do at that point that would be anywhere remotely near the cost of the test.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz



  9. #569
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by equisusan View Post
    Yes. Understood but the thread is on HITS Ocala. Even with EHM its worth discussing prevention measures don't you think?
    Well, there has been discussion of the IL outbreak here as well, so that's why I clarified.

    And, sure, I have no problem talking about prevention measures. Here's one: stay home until the outbreak is over.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  10. #570
    Join Date
    Mar. 1, 2007
    Posts
    644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    ........

    And, sure, I have no problem talking about prevention measures. Here's one: stay home until the outbreak is over.
    THe reason I raised control and prevention measures is because we are never going to be sure when or where the next outbreak might occur. So... do you mean everyone everywhere should stay home or just those in areas where there are active outbreaks. I think its pretty reasonable to expect that this is around these days -- and that the likelihood of it happening again somewhere else is high.

    Unless we are all saying we are not shipping or showing our horses, we need to shift our focus to prevention and minimization of risk. A vaccine that works is of course one avenue, reducing horse to horse exposure in stalls at horseshows is another. Finding ways to boost immune systems without doing anything else might be another option.



  11. #571
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justathought View Post
    THe reason I raised control and prevention measures is because we are never going to be sure when or where the next outbreak might occur. So... do you mean everyone everywhere should stay home or just those in areas where there are active outbreaks. I think its pretty reasonable to expect that this is around these days -- and that the likelihood of it happening again somewhere else is high.

    Unless we are all saying we are not shipping or showing our horses, we need to shift our focus to prevention and minimization of risk. A vaccine that works is of course one avenue, reducing horse to horse exposure in stalls at horseshows is another. Finding ways to boost immune systems without doing anything else might be another option.
    I was referring to areas where there are active outbreaks, although I personally think it makes sense for everyone to stay home for a little while because there are so many horses returning to their respective non-FL homes right now.

    In general, I think vaccination and good judgment are good protections (no nose-to-nose touching at shows, etc.).



  12. #572
    Join Date
    Jun. 6, 2002
    Location
    Gainesville, Florida USA
    Posts
    1,225

    Default

    I heard from a friend (who heard from her vet) that most of the cases (multiple states) can be traced to one shipper. Has anyone else heard this? Obviously the HITS connection with those who have been to HITS but I think she meant some of the others.
    Visit my website @ http://hihorsefarm.tripod.com (PONIES!)
    and
    http://heidalaycavaliers.tripod.com (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)



  13. #573
    Join Date
    Jan. 27, 2000
    Location
    On Blue Run
    Posts
    1,489

    Default

    It is my understanding HITS is picking up the tab for the nasal swabs.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  14. #574
    Join Date
    Jun. 16, 2006
    Location
    Rochester NY
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel0309 View Post
    I heard from a friend (who heard from her vet) that most of the cases (multiple states) can be traced to one shipper. Has anyone else heard this? Obviously the HITS connection with those who have been to HITS but I think she meant some of the others.


    And the shipper is? People are going to (hopefully) be able to come and go -



  15. #575
    Join Date
    Jun. 8, 2012
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    1,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justathought View Post
    THe reason I raised control and prevention measures is because we are never going to be sure when or where the next outbreak might occur. So... do you mean everyone everywhere should stay home or just those in areas where there are active outbreaks. I think its pretty reasonable to expect that this is around these days -- and that the likelihood of it happening again somewhere else is high.

    Unless we are all saying we are not shipping or showing our horses, we need to shift our focus to prevention and minimization of risk. A vaccine that works is of course one avenue, reducing horse to horse exposure in stalls at horseshows is another. Finding ways to boost immune systems without doing anything else might be another option.
    And look at that we still agree. I'm going to be showing and shipping and other horses at the same farms will be too. I would, of course, not try to put my horse in direct danger but sometimes danger is invisible and I believe lots of things about our sport are risky.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!



  16. #576
    Join Date
    Jun. 8, 2012
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    1,385

    Default

    Quarantine to be lifted from HITS Ocala tomorrow:
    http://www.freshfromflorida.com/ai/p...siteUpdate.pdf
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!



  17. #577
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 1999
    Location
    Averill Park NY and Citra Fl
    Posts
    5,575

    Default

    Hallalujah.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.



  18. #578
    Join Date
    Dec. 22, 2000
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    14,881


    1 members found this post helpful.

  19. #579
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Wow, I couldn't decide whether to laugh or shake my head in sadness. So I did both, and it really confused my co-workers. Thanks for the update though.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #580
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2011
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Button View Post
    Wow, I couldn't decide whether to laugh or shake my head in sadness. So I did both, and it really confused my co-workers. Thanks for the update though.
    I thought about it for a second elected to roll my eyes Then I did the same thing.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan. 23, 2013, 07:45 PM
  2. Austerity hits Irish horses
    By Posting Trot in forum Off Course
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Nov. 28, 2010, 01:49 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: May. 9, 2010, 10:37 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jan. 28, 2010, 11:32 AM
  5. Equine Piroplasmosis? Horses Quarantined in MO
    By ~DressageJunkie~ in forum Off Course
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Sep. 9, 2009, 08:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •