The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dags View Post
    Thanks Char.
    According to that link some of the Gurnee horses attended a dressage clinic at a (gorgeous) WI facility that also hosts 5 HJ trainers.
    Additionally, horses from either the Gurnee or WI barn (the reference is vague and indistinguishable) attended an HJ clinic at Bull Run.

But nothing verified or official.
    And so we wait...

I know many horses in that area
    Do you know the dates of those clinics? I'm in WI and now feel like I'm going to vomit. Any chance anyone can confirm that none of the horses from the affected barn attended the Kim Severson clinic in Madison, WI March 1-3?

Does anybody know if it is worth giving the vaccine for the EHV-1? I know it protects against the non-neurological effects. Has anybody given it? What are the side effects?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by horseluvr222 View Post
    Does anybody know if it is worth giving the vaccine for the EHV-1? I know it protects against the non-neurological effects. Has anybody given it? What are the side effects?
    I assume you meant to type does NOT protect against the neurological effects because it doesn't. I am of the opinion that if your horse is due for it you should give it as usual provided there is no chance they have been exposed recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I assume you meant to type does NOT protect against the neurological effects because it doesn't. .
    Isn't that what horseluvr222 said?

8 members found this post helpful.

I give my guys the vaccine. I've never had a problem. They get everything at once and never any side effects but all horses are different. I will say we will be staying put, not even trailering to parks for rides much less the shows for at least the next month or so.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    Isn't that what horseluvr222 said?
    Yep, that is how I read it too.
    Visit my website @ http://hihorsefarm.tripod.com (PONIES!)
    and
    http://heidalaycavaliers.tripod.com (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

The UC Davis White Paper, which seems to have much better info than just what's on their website and can be found here http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/ceh/do...WhitePaper.pdf has this to say about vaccination:

"On premises with confirmed clinical EHV-1 infection (any form), booster vaccination of horses that are likely to have been exposed already is not recommended. However, it seems rational to booster vaccinate nonexposed horses as well as horses that must enter the premises with one
    of the four vaccines listed above if they have not been vaccinated against EHV-1 within the past 60 days. This ap- proach relies on the assumption that the immune system of most mature horses has already been “primed” by prior exposure to EHV-1 antigens through field infection or vaccination and can therefore be “boosted” within 7 to 10 days of administration of a single dose of vaccine.

While this approach does not guarantee protection of individual horses against the potentially fatal neurological form of EHV-1, the hope is that reduced nasal shedding of infectious EHV-1 by recently vaccinated horses will indirectly help protect other horses by reducing the dose of virus to which they are exposed."

I haven't kept up with all 27 pages, so sorry if this is a repeat, but Illinois has cases too...
    http://www.thehorse.com/articles/314...oarding-stable

Just heard on fb 2 cases in Shelby county tn
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Oh crap, really?

ETA: I'm seriously questioning the Shelby Co. report until it is confirmed. There was an EHV-1 outbreak in Shelby Co. LAST year, and we all know how FB timeline likes to bump posts up.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Default TN

From TN Department of Agriculture:

Single EHV1 Case Reported in Tennessee - 3/6/2013 - The State Veterinarian for Tennessee has reported a single case of the neurological form of Equine Herpes Virus Type 1 (EHV1) in Shelby County, Tennessee. The case involves one premises which has been quarantined. The affected horse has been isolated and is under the care and observation of a veterinarian. Strict bio-security measures have been implemented to prevent any further exposure. An investigation into possible sources of the disease is ongoing. However, there appears to be no known connection to the current EHV1 outbreak in Florida, and state animal health officials have no reason to believe that other horses have been exposed at this time.
    Last edited by ParadoxFarm; Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Add title
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

4 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for quick confirmation Paradox!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Thanks for quick confirmation Paradox!
    You bet. Scares me as I am in TN.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Exclamation Tomorrow - THURS - 3/7 - 8 p.m. EST

FYI -- this looks like a great opportunity to ask questions & get info

"Join TheHorse.com on Thursday, March 7, at 8 p.m. EST for a Special Edition of Ask the Vet LIVE. We will address current EHV-1 cases in North America and offer information that can help you protect your horses.

Submit your questions now to be answered during the live event!"

http://www.thehorse.com/ask-the-vet/...e-health-alert
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by JumpsJumps View Post
    I'm under the impression that Double W is the type of boarding facility that emphasizes fun and takes anyone (western, jumping, dressage) and not a facility that focuses on showing. It would be my guess this is not related to FL/HITS
    There is a group of dressage riders that board there who do travel locally. Everyone agrees it's probably not related to Florida's cases, however, the barn is not quite as isolated a community as the impression is coming across on the internet.

Filly at Santa Anita has been euthanized from EHV-1
    http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/news/e...nta-anita.aspx
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

This whole thing scares the crap out of me. The "A" team of our barn is at our Florida barn for the winter and they are in the quarantine zone around the HITS grounds. Apparently they are still planning on being home March 20th. I talked to our vet today and they have to be cultured to be let out of the quarantine but she still thinks they should spend another 2 weeks in a separate barn back in wisconsin. I am pretty sure the BO won't do that though. The vet is bumping up the spring vaccine dates to have them done before they get back, but I'm just sick thinking about them returning. Probably overreacting, right?
    "Vulgarity is no substitute for wit.” - Lady Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham

Quote Originally Posted by jacksinthebox View Post
    This whole thing scares the crap out of me. The "A" team of our barn is at our Florida barn for the winter and they are in the quarantine zone around the HITS grounds. Apparently they are still planning on being home March 20th. I talked to our vet today and they have to be cultured to be let out of the quarantine but she still thinks they should spend another 2 weeks in a separate barn back in wisconsin. I am pretty sure the BO won't do that though. The vet is bumping up the spring vaccine dates to have them done before they get back, but I'm just sick thinking about them returning. Probably overreacting, right?
    If your trainer is not willing to isolate the horses returning from Florida, could you possibly move your horse to another location for a couple of weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by snaffle635 View Post
    If your trainer is not willing to isolate the horses returning from Florida, could you possibly move your horse to another location for a couple of weeks?
    Move your horse for a couple of weeks? I would be giving my notice right there to leave. She obviously isn't concerned for the safety of all the horses.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GucciJumper View Post
    Move your horse for a couple of weeks? I would be giving my notice right there to leave. She obviously isn't concerned for the safety of all the horses.
    Wow, that's a big conclusion you've drawn. The horses in Florida will have cleared quarantine, had a negative result from a culture, and you say the trainer 'obviously isn't concerned for the safety of all horses'?