The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WB Mom View Post
    I just found out that there may be cases in northern Illinois. This has not been confirmed, and was on FB only. Info said 2 cases (now deceased) in Gurnee. If anyone can provide information, please do. Thanks!
    I heard this same thing last night from a friend who heard it from a friend living in IL who supposedly heard it from a vet. Exact same information as listed above. I would also like confirmation.

Confirmed case of neurological ehv1 at a barn in northern Illinois. Barn is on quarantine. Two horses have been euthanized, many others in critical condition. Sending many thoughts and prayers their way.

Please excuse any typos - Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by preciouspony View Post
    Confirmed case of neurological ehv1 at a barn in northern Illinois. Barn is on quarantine. Two horses have been euthanized, many others in critical condition. Sending many thoughts and prayers their way.

Please excuse any typos - Sent from my iPhone
    Were these horses at HITS or are these unrelated cases??? (And yes it does make a difference)

Any ties to the EHV from Ocala? Were horses at HITS or related farms in FL in February. Also is it wild type EHV with neurological symptoms, or is it the hyper virulent mutant EHV that wasnot found in Ocala?

Quote Originally Posted by titan View Post
    Any ties to the EHV from Ocala? Were horses at HITS or related farms in FL in February. Also is it wild type EHV with neurological symptoms, or is it the hyper virulent mutant EHV that wasnot found in Ocala?
    Unfortunately, at this time this is all I know. From my knowledge, this is mostly a boarding facility and I do not think anyone would have traveled to Florida. I could be incorrect about this. There are a lot of rumors flying around at this point and I do not want to add to any of it until everything is confirmed. I will try to post an update as soon as more details are found out.

From Chicago Equestrian Facebook page:

from Dana Marsh DVM
    Ehv
    News Update Bulletin

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Two horses were euthanatized Monday after developing fevers on Friday and subsequently developing neurologic signs. They were found to be PCR positive for Herpes. Several other horses (6-7) at the same barn, Double W in Gurnee, IL, have developed fevers and neurologic signs and are under medical treatment. No other barns are affected at this time. The State Veterinarian has quarantined this barn.

1 members found this post helpful.

Day 14 of our self imposed quarantine, all 3 blood and nasal tests are back negative. Blood drawn and nasal swabbed day 7,8,9 of exposure.

Both hores showing no clinical signs and no temperature.
    Will startt back to work day 15 lightly.
    Preparing to show in 2 weeks again. temperatures taken 2 x daily until day 28.

Vet feels we have done all that we can and feels the hores are in the clear, test showed NO EHV-1. Phew... onward...
    Last edited by Summit Springs Farm; Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: spelling

6 members found this post helpful.

Good news SUMMIT!
    friend of bar*ka

Summit Springs, it sounds like you are very organized and responsible.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JMRhorse View Post

By now, it is too late, and my horses have already been completely exposed to her horses (despite my greatest efforts).

How bad of a situation am I in?
    EHV-1 is spread through nasal discharge. If she stabled off the show grounds, then her initial exposure was minimal. The state vets even agreed that horses who had been trailering in or riding in who only went to the rings have low chances of exposure and were not involved in the quarantine. The real danger is for the horses who are stabled near each other and could infect the stable goods around them, causing spreading (i.e. sneeze on a bucket of a neighbor, or cough on a wheelbarrow while mucking which then goes to each other stall with the virus on it, communal washracks, or sharing brushes). Unless her horse had a runny nose in the arena or sneezed on you, I would say the possibility of exposure is very minimal. But if you're so uncomfortable with the situation, why don't you approach your trainer to learn about every precaution they are taking. And if it would ease your mind to do something for your horse, a little immune booster supplement wouldn't hurt.

From what I have read; new cases in IL are Neurological Strain (which Ocala horses are NOT) and they had recently been to clinics in the Chicago horse area, so I do not think they are related to HITS Ocala horses. But still praying for all of them :O(
    Last edited by Char0308; Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by preciouspony View Post
    Unfortunately, at this time this is all I know. From my knowledge, this is mostly a boarding facility and I do not think anyone would have traveled to Florida. I could be incorrect about this. There are a lot of rumors flying around at this point and I do not want to add to any of it until everything is confirmed. I will try to post an update as soon as more details are found out.
    Well this just got much closer to home. I would appreciate details about the situation if anyone has them.

Chicago is a hotbed of commercial horse shippers...
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

I'm under the impression that Double W is the type of boarding facility that emphasizes fun and takes anyone (western, jumping, dressage) and not a facility that focuses on showing. It would be my guess this is not related to FL/HITS

dags, checkout http://midwest-horse.com/forum/index.php?topic=23294.0
    for more local info on Illinois horses including farm name.

Jumps, I'm under the same impression of the facility, but if they all just shipped out to a local clinic they could have used a truck that just came in from FL.

Completely theoretical of course, they quite likely hauled themselves. But it's somewhat less frightening than EHV just randomly and suddenly popping up all over the country and Canada.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

Seems this has been popping up all over the place since Jan
    http://www.thehorse.com/topics/disea...erpesvirus-ehv
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Thanks Char.
    According to that link some of the Gurnee horses attended a dressage clinic at a (gorgeous) WI facility that also hosts 5 HJ trainers.
    Additionally, horses from either the Gurnee or WI barn (the reference is vague and indistinguishable) attended an HJ clinic at Bull Run.

But nothing verified or official.
    And so we wait...

I know many horses in that area
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/U...id=4Z5wXFGqpUk

Merritt & Associates Equine Hospital Announcement

There have been several cases of confirmed EHV-1 at Double W farm in Gurnee Illinois. 2 severely neurologic recumbent horses have been euthanized. It is not believed any of these horses were in contact with any horses from the Florida outbreak. It is not known at this time where the horses may have come in contact with the disease. The farm has been placed under quarantine.
    We recommend that ALL horses get the Pneumabort K vaccination ASAP. Please call us at 847-526-9550 to schedule. The vaccination is only $28.90 and the call fee is only $5.

I think both Utah and Canada cases are Neuro Strain NOT the Wild Strain like in FL; so seems those might be closer match to Illinois, but as scary as it is; it can pop up anytime anywhere horses are stressed and there is latent carrier somewhere :O( Very scary
    Last edited by Char0308; Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by JMRhorse View Post
    Ok guys, all of this contradicting information about EHV-1 is really stressing me out.

A girl from my barn had 2 horses at HITS Ocala, and I believe she showed both of them until around the 23rd of February (keeping her horses off site). After all of this EHV stuff went down, she stopped showing, but other horses at her barn still went to the show. She finally brought her horses home about a week ago and they stayed on an isolated part of our barn property until they were supposedly tested for EHV-1 by our vet. I assume the tests came back negative, because today she brought both of the horses back onto the main property, hacked around one of them while we were having a lesson, and then put them back in their normal stalls (and they are headed out with half of our barn to a show next week).

Now, I really really want to trust my trainers and vet (and there are many factors to this girl's situation that I do not know), but I have read SO much contradicting information about EHV-1, I can't help but fear the worst and be incredibly paranoid.

By now, it is too late, and my horses have already been completely exposed to her horses (despite my greatest efforts). I guess, more than anything, I am hoping someone will think I am being too paranoid and will reassure me that I should be fine.

I haven't really heard anything about the tests being inaccurate (nasal AND blood test combination, which I hope and assume were done), yet everyone still says you must quarantine.

How bad of a situation am I in? please break it to me easy
    I agree with other posters....talk to your trainer and your vet. But I would say you are probably in the clear. It seems they did the correct things upon getting the horses home and kept them isolated and tested them. The fact that she stabled off-site is a good thing and exposure is very limited.
    My mare was at HITS as well and has now been home for 10 days and we have been monitoring her temperature up to 4x daily. She has been fine and I believe we are also in the clear. She was stabled off-site as well.
    If it makes you feel better, start to check your horses' temperature for 10-20 days now that her horses are back in the barn. Peace of mind and being proactive never hurts!