The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Update;

We pulled blood and swabbed noses for three days in a row for the tests for EHV-1 on day 7,8,9 of exposure 2 tests have come back negative, waiting for the third today.

On our 2 horses that were in Ocala.
    Still on self imposed quarantine day 12.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit Springs Farm View Post
    Update;

We pulled blood and swabbed noses for three days in a row for the tests for EHV-1 on day 7,8,9 of exposure 2 tests have come back negative, waiting for the third today.

On our 2 horses that were in Ocala.
    Still on self imposed quarantine day 12.

I so wish that every horse owner in Ocala was posting daily updates on their horses. Also every horse owner in Wellington, just for the sake of completeness.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by currycomb321 View Post
    I so wish that every horse owner in Ocala was posting daily updates on their horses. Also every horse owner in Wellington, just for the sake of completeness.
    There are over 1200 horse farms in Ocala.

3 members found this post helpful.

there is no way that will happen
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    There are over 1200 horse farms in Ocala.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    there is no way that will happen

whooooooooooshhhhhh.......

Did you hear that? That was the sound of sarcasm flying right over COTHers' heads.

7 members found this post helpful.

Exclamation ASK the VET LIVE - EHV-1 Horse Health Alert - 3/7 @ 8pm

FYI -- please spread the word to anyone interested -

Equine herpesvirus-1 (EHV-1) is a highly contagious disease that can cause epidemic abortion in mares and respiratory and/or neurologic disease. The neurologic form is often fatal. In response to recent cases, our experts answer your EHV-1 questions.

Join TheHorse.com on Thursday, March 7, at 8 p.m. EST for a Special Edition of Ask the Vet LIVE. We will address current EHV-1 cases in North America and offer information that can help you protect your horses.

Submit your questions now to be answered during the live event!

http://www.thehorse.com/ask-the-vet/...e-health-alert
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

2 members found this post helpful.

Default "2 more Ocala-area farms linked to equine herpes virus"

Not sure where the updated list of quarantined farms is, so I thought I would post this in case it is something new.

(Posted: 6:52 a.m. Tuesday, March 5, 2013; www.wftv.com)

"Two more horse farms have been quarantined following an outbreak of equine herpes virus at an Ocala area farm.

No new cases of the outbreak were found. But officials quarantined Hard Ford Farm in Reddick and Chestnut Hill Farm in Ocala on Monday after horses housed there later developed the illness."

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/...s-virus/nWg6t/

Edited: Found the updated list:

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/ai/p...siteUpdate.pdf

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    Not sure where the updated list of quarantined farms is, so I thought I would post this in case it is something new.

"Two more horse farms have been quarantined following an outbreak of equine herpes virus at an Ocala area farm.

No new cases of the outbreak were found. But officials quarantined Hard Ford Farm in Reddick and Chestnut Hill Farm in Ocala on Monday after horses housed there later developed the illness."

Edited: Found the updated list:

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/ai/p...siteUpdate.pdf
    DAMN IT! Chestnut Hill Farm in WI is right near me. I realize it is their Ocala location that is quarantined, but this is still not good news.

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    FYI -- please spread the word to anyone interested -

Equine herpesvirus-1 (EHV-1) is a highly contagious disease that can cause epidemic abortion in mares and respiratory and/or neurologic disease. The neurologic form is often fatal. In response to recent cases, our experts answer your EHV-1 questions.

Join TheHorse.com on Thursday, March 7, at 8 p.m. EST for a Special Edition of Ask the Vet LIVE. We will address current EHV-1 cases in North America and offer information that can help you protect your horses.

Submit your questions now to be answered during the live event!

http://www.thehorse.com/ask-the-vet/...e-health-alert
    I have avoided posting here for too long. This information is NOT accurate. There have been more quarantines but these are based on THE SAME POSITIVE HORSE FROM TENT 3 FROM FEB 14. There have been NO MORE POSITIVES at HITS Ocala. The disease incubation is from 2 to ten days...it has been nearly three weeks since the last positive horse....While this is cause for concern, the misinformation is abounding. I understand concern but....
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

THIS INFORMATION....I dont understand this computer...

Last edited by Jumphigh83; Mar. 5, 2013 at 06:57 PM. Reason: repeat...computer hysteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumphigh83 View Post

THIS INFORMATION....I dont understand this computer...
    There may not be new cases (this is unclear), but Chestnut Hill is absolutely under a state mandated quarantine. It is right there on the FL Dept of agriculture website. Nevertheless, Chestnut Hill's Facebook page indicates that they've been "laying low" because of a "questionable illness" at HITS and hope to get more showing in before they come home (to WI). You know, "laying low" vs. "state mandated quarantine." Almost the same thing, right?

I believe the quarantine for Hard Ford Farm is related to being stabled in Tent 3.

It is my understanding they were stabled in Tent 3, removed their horses thus "opting" to quarantine at their home farm.

http://www.nola.com/news/baton-rouge..._threaten.html
    According to link above, they have quarantined 6 horses in New Orleans as well that left Ocala before the quarantine.Seems to me they are tracking down all those exposed in affecting stabling areas, better safe than sorry , I think..

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes, I agree that it's good they are tracking them down. Better late than never, I guess. I'm mostly just frustrated that some farms are not being straightforward about the quarantine. If you are quarantined but have no sick horses (or even if you do have sick horses), there is no shame in that. The shame is in being misleading, nonchalant, or outright lying about it.

14 members found this post helpful.

^^^^AGREED!!!

Ok guys, all of this contradicting information about EHV-1 is really stressing me out.

A girl from my barn had 2 horses at HITS Ocala, and I believe she showed both of them until around the 23rd of February (keeping her horses off site). After all of this EHV stuff went down, she stopped showing, but other horses at her barn still went to the show. She finally brought her horses home about a week ago and they stayed on an isolated part of our barn property until they were supposedly tested for EHV-1 by our vet. I assume the tests came back negative, because today she brought both of the horses back onto the main property, hacked around one of them while we were having a lesson, and then put them back in their normal stalls (and they are headed out with half of our barn to a show next week).

Now, I really really want to trust my trainers and vet (and there are many factors to this girl's situation that I do not know), but I have read SO much contradicting information about EHV-1, I can't help but fear the worst and be incredibly paranoid.

By now, it is too late, and my horses have already been completely exposed to her horses (despite my greatest efforts). I guess, more than anything, I am hoping someone will think I am being too paranoid and will reassure me that I should be fine.

I haven't really heard anything about the tests being inaccurate (nasal AND blood test combination, which I hope and assume were done), yet everyone still says you must quarantine.

How bad of a situation am I in? please break it to me easy

Text of today's update from the Fl. Dept of Ag. (http://www.freshfromflorida.com)

EHV-1 Outbreak and Quarantine Information
    March 5, 2013
    Revised information is italicized

On February 20th, the Division of Animal Industry (DAI) was notified that a horse participating in the Horse Shows in the Sun (HITS) show in Ocala had been referred to the University of Florida, College of Veterinary Medicine, after exhibiting clinical neurological signs. The horse tested positive for Equine Herpes Virus (EHV-1), wild-type strain. That horse had been housed in Tent 7 on the HITS Showgrounds which prompted a quarantine of the tent. The horse remains at the university and is in stable condition.

DAI veterinarians began monitoring horses at HITS and tracing exposed horses that had left the showgrounds. As a result of the investigations, five additional horses were found to be positive for EHV-1. Those horses were housed in Tents 3 and 6 adjacent to Tent 7. One horse is under quarantine at Redfield Farm in Ocala. Four horses were placed under quarantine at Miles Away Farm in Loxahatchee. One of these four horses developed neurological signs and was transported to the University of Florida.

With concern that the outbreak was more widespread, the entire HITS Showgrounds was placed under quarantine on February 27th. Movement of horses on or off the showgrounds is prohibited. The quarantine will remain in effect for a minimum of 21 days from the last exposure (February 20th). Any horse showing febrile, respiratory, or neurological signs will be tested. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services’ personnel are manning the gates of the showgrounds 24 hours a day.

Another horse associated with the HITS Showgrounds, which never showed any clinical signs of EHV-1, has tested positive. This horse is located at Calder Farms in Ocala.

Additional exposed horses that had been stabled in Tents 3, 6 and 7 and moved prior to the HITS quarantine have been placed under quarantine around the state. The following is a list of facilities that are currently under quarantine.

Quarantined Farms/Premises**

· HITS Showgrounds, Ocala – Entire facility
    · Up Country Farm/Synergy Farm, Ocala
    · Montera Farm, Ocala
    · Flutterby Farm, Ocala
    · Foxwood Farms, Pinellas Park
    · Black Forest Farm, St. Augustine
    · POD-F Farm, Wellington
    · Brookmore Farm, Oviedo
    · Kings Ridge Farm, Reddick
    · Redfield Farm, Ocala
    · Miles Away Farm, Loxahatchee
    · Calder Farms, Ocala
    · Hard Ford Farm, Reddick
    · Chestnut Hill Farm (Wisconsin based farm, Ocala temporary location)

**The quarantines listed above do not necessarily encompass the entire premises.

Premises Released from Quarantine

· FEI tent at Wellington Showgrounds - February 28, 2013
    o The quarantine was initially placed due to two potentially exposed horses that had moved to the tent from Tequestrian Farm and subsequently moved back to Tequestrian Farm the same day. These horses were tested the next day and were negative for EHV-1. The quarantine was released due to these two horses being in the FEI tent for a short period of time and testing negative for the virus, indicating no exposure occurred.

· Tequestrian Farm - March 4, 2013
    o The farm was initially quarantined due a horse testing positive for EHV-1. This horse was imported from another state and isolated at the farm on arrival. No connection was made between this horse and the HITS Showgrounds’ EHV-1 cases. The horse never developed neurological signs and the quarantine was released after fourteen days with no evidence of transmission, no clinical signs on the farm, and all horses testing negative on the premises.

Known State Movement Restriction for Horses

· California requirements include a negative test for Equine Infectious Anemia, obtained within the six (6) months before date of entry, and a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) with a body temperature recorded for each horse in the shipment. Accredited veterinarians preparing CVIs are responsible for fulfillment of the temperature recording requirement.

We are advising horse owners and trainers to contact the venue of destination for any additional equirements prior to travel.

Recommendations for horses that have shown at HITS since February 5, 2013 include close monitoring of animals, reporting of fevers greater than 101.5o F (38.6oC) and strict bio-security measures for at least 21 days after departure from HITS.

We are asking all those in the equine community to practice prudent bio-security on their farm and to report any suspected cases of EHV-1. For reporting, you may call 850-410-0900 Monday through Friday 8:00am-5:00pm and 1-800-342-5869 after hours and weekends.

The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services will continue to work with HITS management, trainers, and veterinarians to ensure proper safeguards are taken to prevent further spread of the disease.

Frequent informational updates will be provided, so please continue to visit this Website regularly at:
    http://www.freshfromflorida.com/ai/.

Additional Resources:

More information on the Equine Herpes Virus (EHV-1) can be found at the following
    Websites:

· American Association of Equine Practitioners,
    http://www.aaep.org/health_articles....irus+%28EHV%29
    · Gluck Equine Research Center, University of Kentucky,
    http://www.ca.uky.edu/gluck/BiblioEHV1.asp
    · University of Florida, College of Veterinary Medicine,
    http://extension.vetmed.ufl.edu/file...-June-2011.pdf

Bio-security information, to help reduce the risk of spread contagious and infectious
    diseases can be found at the following Websites:

· American Association of Equine Practitioners,
    http://www.aaep.org/pdfs/control_gui...ctions%201.pdf
    · United States Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection
    Service (USDA, APHIS),
    http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publicatio...rity_final.pdf
    Old age is no place for sissies.
    Bette Davis

Quote Originally Posted by JMRhorse View Post
    How bad of a situation am I in? please break it to me easy
    Ask your own vet !
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Default Now Cases in Northern Illinois?

I just found out that there may be cases in northern Illinois. This has not been confirmed, and was on FB only. Info said 2 cases (now deceased) in Gurnee. If anyone can provide information, please do. Thanks!
    Some days the best thing about my job is that the chair spins.