The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thanks vxf111! While the 21 days currently imposed is what they believe to be sufficient time, relying on that seems to be risky. They are stabled in a permanent barn far from tents with current cases but most of the horses are continuing to show therefore increasing risk. All of the equipment that will be returning directly from the potentially contaminated site also concerns me. Hopefully most will "air" on the side of caution. Seems that my best option is to move prior to there return.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I just got an iJump email blast saying that riders from the east coast were coming out to Thermal, which has two remaining weeks. Assuming that they are bringing horses and coming from FL this does not make me happy.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Anyone see this and TS's comments?

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/...se-show/nWc65/
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Quote Originally Posted by ponygirl View Post
    Well, in the words of somebody wiser than I, "if somebody tells you what they are, BELIEVE THEM". Wow.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

"Horses come first. We wouldn't have the horse show if horse safety wasn't our top priority," said show director Tom Struzzieri.

Struzzieri said there is one strain of herpes that can be fatal but the horse that tested positive at the show does not have that strain. He said he wonders if the state jumped the gun by ordering the quarantine.

Struzzieri said the quarantine scared away up to 700 riders and their horses.

"It's disappointing. But I'm not sure what drives the motivation for it -- whether the motivation is science related or public relations related," said Struzzieri.

Say what?? Good night, this guy needs to stop. Just stop!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

5 members found this post helpful.

We from the racing industry have dealt with this for years...Rule is quareenteen until post 21-30 days from last horse with fever...so horses have to be fever free for that time and also all negative nasal swabs...?you are all so lucky this hasn t struck the show industry before.....Do some research as I posted before Hawthorne Race Track was devastated fall winter there is a site for IL racing and a horsemanship page Go Read the protocols and procedures the state vet imposed...they had far less horses and it was cold.....

1 members found this post helpful.

TS's (show director) comments were off putting at the show ground meeting where they announced the quarantine. He said something along the lines of "A few years ago when one of these cases came up, we would quarantine the horse and a 20ft radius. I'm not sure why now our protocol for addressing this health issue is so different. That's a question you'll have to ask the State Vets when they arrive"
    I understand that the horse show is facing a loss, but his whole tone seemed to convey he didn't understand why the quarantine was necessary and he made it sound like since so many horses are at one point potentially exposed to EHV that all this testing is bound to show positives but it was coincidental that the horses were all associated with the horse show.

We are on day 11 of our self imposed quarantine, both horses runny noses have cleared up.

Still normal temperatures.

Still eating normally.

Still waiting for the results of the nasal and blood work.

Our plan is still 28 days quarantine.

Just resting alittle easier for me that they will be ok.

4 members found this post helpful.

Not that this is at all reliable, but someone on Diva says the quarantine in Ocala has been extended to 3/22 or 21 because another horse has gotten sick. Anyone reading this thread in Ocala? Is this fabrication?

LaughAttack, any news on your horse? Hope he's feeling better!

I guess the ban/quarantine has been lifted on barn 7..... I heard some people with horses/ponies from tent 7 say they were showing this weekend.

That newscast from WCTV was in error. Every horse touches his neighbor's nose in those stalls (which I like for the airflow, but not the nasal contact with neighbors)

From what I hear, there have been many fevers and coughs there.......just be thankful none have gone neurological.

I am one of the ones who was there earlier, left before the breakout, and didn't come back when I heard of it. I'm really disappointed to not be there showing, but can't imagine driving in past padlocks where you know you're quarantined once you get there....but the upside for HITS is now all horses there have to stay till the end and may very well show, haha.. I know I'm making light of a devistating situation.....sorry!

I know the state vet very well, and he's a wonderful guy with the right intentions as far as I would expect..........
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Tequestrian Farm in Wellington was released from Quarantine at just 14 days according to FL AG website so I guess maybe the upto 14 day incubation is playing a role in some decisisons. Its confusing how they are handling all this with 21 and 28 day isolation requirements but then releasing a farm with positive test at farm in just 14 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-ramma View Post
    I guess the ban/quarantine has been lifted on barn 7..... I heard some people with horses/ponies from tent 7 say they were showing this weekend.
    From the meeting I believe they decided to split tent 7 based on proximity and possible length of time of exposure. So, those who were further away or shipped in later, decreasing the exposure to the virus would be allowed to start showing again, but those who were closer to the index horse or who had been in the tent while the index was stabled there are still under more restrictive quarantine.

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    We from the racing industry have dealt with this for years...you are all so lucky this hasn t struck the show industry before......
    Yes it has.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    I just got an iJump email blast saying that riders from the east coast were coming out to Thermal, which has two remaining weeks. Assuming that they are bringing horses and coming from FL this does not make me happy.
    Can you post the email here ?
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by JumpsJumps View Post
    From the meeting I believe they decided to split tent 7 based on proximity and possible length of time of exposure. So, those who were further away or shipped in later, decreasing the exposure to the virus would be allowed to start showing again, but those who were closer to the index horse or who had been in the tent while the index was stabled there are still under more restrictive quarantine.
    Pffffft. Because why play it safe when all it takes to get a few more horses showing is reckless disregard for other peoples' horses?

Given that lots of horses left Ocala before the quarantine and I think it's safe to assume at least a few or some owners will be taking those horses to other shows, what are your show plans for March and April?

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    Can you post the email here ?
    The relevant part is "SO now it all starts to heat up...not only with the weather but in the ring as well. The circuit seems to be picking up steam as the weeks go on and the excitement builds. With word from the east coast that Thermal will see several riders arrive from the 'other' coast, it is getting FUN."

There is a link at the top of the email that gives you the option of reading the content on a web page: http://secure.campaigner.com/Campaig...n-euvul12&_v=2
    The Evil Chem Prof

I just came from watching at HITS last weekend and TS offered free Flu Avert to all horses on the grounds and owners won't be charged if their horses have to stay longer than they planned to show. As far as I could tell most were taking advantage of the Flu Avert. FL department of ag are positioned at the entrance and they check every trailer coming in or going out to make sure they are empty. No clear word yet on when the quarantine will be lifted.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!