The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Summit Springs Farm View Post
    Please read the article I posted in this thread. There is not a strain of neurological EHV-1. The individual horse mutates the EHV-1 into neurological symptoms.
    Thats how I interpreted it...whew! I thought maybe I fried my brain with the 13-hours of microbiology yesterday.

By the way, Summit Springs, you are incredible and responsible...THANK YOU! Please keep us posted for the test results?
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    Thats how I interpreted it...whew! I thought maybe I fried my brain with the 13-hours of microbiology yesterday.

By the way, Summit Springs, you are incredible and responsible...THANK YOU! Please keep us posted for the test results?
    Aw, Thanks, I just wish I didn't have to be, my stomach has been in knots since this thing began, just trying to believe they will be ok.

As well as all the horses, especially the ones that have less responsible owners/trainers in their life.

I know exactly who you are speaking about. I too am very concerned about how quickly they want to put this behind them. I sincerely hope they do NOT venture out to any shows for several weeks at least. I know I am not alone in feeling this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Lots of jingles.

It's amazing how much misinformation there is out there. Apparently there's a barn in my area that had exposed horses at HITS Ocala (a tent near tent 7). Came home and separated all the HITS horses. Since they didn't have symptoms, they're going to back to the show barn and business as usual. I appreciate the effort.... but where's the information here? 21 day incubation period. TWENTY ONE DAYS. It's been, what, less than a week?! I am sure this person has good intentions, but the education needs to get out there. This person is risking exposing the rest of the horses in the barn and the rest of us in the area if we venture out in public/to shows (which I am not).

HITS is offering flu booster to all horses on show grounds tomorrow free of charge because flu is going around too. They are pretty verbal about wanting to get the "State of their back", but seriously, as long as my horse has to be there, I'm glad they are too. It's horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemyboy View Post
    HITS is offering flu booster to all horses on show grounds tomorrow free of charge because flu is going around too. They are pretty verbal about wanting to get the "State of their back", but seriously, as long as my horse has to be there, I'm glad they are too. It's horrible.
    EHV-1 is the flu, herpes is a cold/flu

EHV-1 is NOT the flu. Influenza is the flu. EHV is another virus altogether, any of which can cause 'flu-like symptims'. Just to clarify.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

9 members found this post helpful.

They have EHV and Influenza going around? Yikes.

Rhinopneumonitis. The vaccines are generally 2-way flu/rhino.

OK, so there is no flu then? They are just trying to head off the EHV outbreak.

I have no direct knowledge of what exact vaccine HITS is proposing except that it is modified live so I would guess it's Pfizer's Rhinomune. I don't think there is a combined MLV for flu/rhino.

I wish there was a vet or epidemiologist on this thread to clarify things.

From what I've read, there were 1800 horses that either shipped in or stabled at the Ocala show grounds after exposure and before quaranitne. Now there are reportedly 1300. That leaves 500 exposed horses somewhere.

My question for a vet would be how much greater of a risk is this for the general horse population that goes to the same kind of events? Say the upcoming Atlanta horseshow where I know some will have been at Ocala.

I've read that most horses have been exposed to EHV by the time they are two, yet only a small percentage become symptomatic. Is this a case of another shot at exposure with little likelihood of becoming ill? Or is there a difference between an outbreak of six sick horses and the routine EHV exposure horses receive?
    Last edited by jody jaffe; Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Brain fart

Quote Originally Posted by jody jaffe View Post
    I wish there was a vet or epidemiologist on this thread to clarify things.

From what I've read, there were 1500 horses that either shipped in or stabled at the Ocala show grounds after exposure and before quaranitne. Now there are reportedly 1300. That leaves 500 exposed horses somewhere.

My question for a vet would be how much greater of a risk is this for the general horse population that goes to the same kind of events? Say the upcoming Atlanta horseshow where I know some will have been at Ocala.

I've read that most horses have been exposed to EHV by the time they are two, yet only a small percentage become symptomatic. Is this a case of another shot at exposure with little likelihood of becoming ill? Or is there a difference between an outbreak of six sick horses and the routine EHV exposure horses receive?
    You mean 200 exposed horses somewhere other than Ocala right?

I meant 1800, not 1500. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by buschkn View Post
    EHV-1 is NOT the flu. Influenza is the flu. EHV is another virus altogether, any of which can cause 'flu-like symptims'. Just to clarify.
    Sorry yes it is all flu like symptoms except the nuero strain, which still will start with flu like symptoms but when it comes to vacs you are still going to use the flu/rhino or just the rhino vac.

Quote Originally Posted by DOME View Post
    Just to keep everything on the up and up, I wanted to post here and clarify the status of my business, Ramble On Farm, here on these boards to further avoid hearsay, and any misconstruing of the facts.

I had 7 horses and ponies down in Ocala, FL from February 1st 2013 -February 25th 2013.

Upon my return, due to the exposure of these 7 animals to the EHV outbreak, I voluntarily quarantined them at a seperate facility, where we continued to monitor temperatures and any signs of symptoms, and practicing all bio-security measures necessary. No human or animal or any related equipment that had been in contact with these 7 horses visited my other farm where I normally run my business, where my remaining 23 horses are housed, that did not go to FL.

Under the advice of my veterinarian, and due to my desire to protect all of the horses under my care, and with respect to all surrounding farms and business, I had each FL horse nasallly swabbed and tested for EHV, and said testing was sent to UC Davis for laboratory results. See their link for info here: http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/ceh/ehv1_diagnostic.cfm

I opted not to wait for

Per the reccomendation of my vet, they can return to work and into my program, as I have taken all precautionary proactive measure to ensure that my horses are healthy, not at risk, and not putting any other surrounding horses at risk.
    If anyone has any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to call me at 484-325-0380, or my veterinarian 610-584-6000 (Blauner VMD). I would much rather answer questions directly.

In addition, below is a direct copy of my Facebook status (3/1/13) that I published for all of my friends and fellow professionals and horseman to see:

"Ramble On Farm returned on Monday from a successful three weeks at HITS Ocala. In order to be proactive regarding the situation at the show grounds, the 7 horses and ponies that accompanied us were voluntarily quarantined at my second farm in Malvern, PA. All equipment, tack, trailer, etc were vigorously disinfected, horses monitored for symptoms, and nasally tested by my veterinarian for any strain of EHV. All the remaining horses at my Berwyn location who were not in FL received Rhino boosters. Today, March 1st 2013 I am so relieved to receive official word that all horses and ponies have tested NEGATIVE for EHV-1! They will now be vaccinated and put back into our program. We are so happy to be home with all of our customers and are looking forward to a successful spring season!"

Regards,
    Dominique Damico
    Ramble On Farm

Now I'm confused. Why has a long quarantine been necessary in other cases if blood testing is all it takes to confirm the horse is clear. I thought EHV wouldn't necessarily show up on a blood test right away, hence the need for the lengthy quarantine followed by a blood test.

4 members found this post helpful.

DOME you seem very resonsible!! good for you! and thanks for sharing your experience. i think this whole thing is very upsetting and i think everyone needs to do their share to prevent this virus from spreading further.
    their seems to be alot of finger pointing and judgements going around. if you were stuck on the showgrounds for 3 weeks, wouldnt you rather continue showing while implementing strict preventative measures. its easy for people back at home to say, oh thats horrible that they are showing. they are not the ones stuck in the tents in Ocala.
    I dont understand why everyone is so hostile towards HITS? a horse brought a virus in. and even the State of Florida didnt put the showgrounds under quarantine. it seems like there are alot of misconceptions about what everyone should do if the virus appears. maybe a plan can be formed so that all show managers know what to do if the virus hits in the future.
    and for those who say its just a horseshow, you can skip a few here and there, what about the people who earn a living off of horseshows. can they all just take a months vacation without pay.
    as an expample, what if one office developed a virus so all offices closed down without pay for a month. that is a great financial hardship for those workers. its not an easy thing to make a decision on. should all offices be closed or should they allow uninfected offices to continue doing business while trying to prevent the spread of the disease. people still go to work even though the flu is around. and flu can be deadly. but people still go to work with the chance of being exposed to other people with flu.
    i really hope that this virus gets under control and everyone can continue to enjoy taking their horses out and about. i really feel for the people in ocala at the horsesshows (from grooms, braiders, to trainers) and i do feel for the horseshow managers. its a nightmare, and their livelehood depends on it.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    Now I'm confused. Why has a long quarantine been necessary in other cases if blood testing is all it takes to confirm the horse is clear. I thought EHV wouldn't necessarily show up on a blood test right away, hence the need for the lengthy quarantine followed by a blood test.
    And, I'm confused; because I believe that there is a nasal swab test AND a blood test. AND, I believe there was at least one horse that had a negative nasal swab BUT the blood test was POSITIVE. See:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ed-ehv-1-scare

(Tests for various things usually have some rate of false positive / false negative results - no idea what those statistics are for EHV-1)

I also thought there was an EHV vaccine (for NON neuro strain).
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

2 members found this post helpful.

My understanding is that a negative test means a horse is not INFECTED but can still have been exposed and unless the horse is disinfected (impossible) can carry the infection around and spread it for the entire incubation period which is 21 days. I'm also not sure that a horse wouldn't test negative if it had JUST been infected before the blood was drawn but levels hadn't built up in response to the infection yet. I wish there was some clarity on this, maybe from a vet hospital.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

2 members found this post helpful.

DOME, I am confused. I thought the incubation could be as long as 21 days. Your premise seems to be that instead of isolating for 21 days,one can do daily nasal swabs and if all horses in the barn are negative at 5 days, the horses are clear and not incubating EHV. If your veterinarian has evidence that this is true, everyone should be following your protocol. Does your vet have any studies that indicate this approach works?

5 members found this post helpful.