The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby G. Weber View Post
    I am on the show grounds in Ocala.

I think the best thing I can do for the horses in my care is to minimize their stress level by carrying on with their normal routine and not ship them until they are outside the stated incubation period.
    Wishing you and everyone else on the show grounds 3 weeks straight of 99.5 temperatures.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

8 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, Renn!

I arrived today. I didn't specifically overhear anyone mention the EHV situation, but you can tell people are being extra-cautious. Our grooms, as well as several other barns, have built their own wash racks. No one is hand grazing. People seem pretty careful about staying away from each others horses. There was a guard at our entrance to the property (we are in tent 11) and a barricade around tent 7.

A lot of people left before the quarantine. Last year there were 33 in the low AOs, this year (same week) there are about 11.

Here's hoping we hear only good news about healthy horses from here on out.

1 members found this post helpful.

I should have been more specific.

My vet recommended against vaccinating right now, after potential exposure. That would not be her recommendation for routine vaccinations when there is little worry that the horse has been exposed to it and might be in the beginning stage of fighting the virus.

=CHT;6865763]That is interesting. When they had the outbreak in Saskatoon a few years back (at the Vet Hospital/university), they did think that the vaccinated horses got less sick and were more likely to recover. Obviously not a huge sample set, but enough to make me want to vaccinate.[/QUOTE]

Oh, LaughAttack...that was positively heartbreaking to read! Poor guy. He's already had quite a time. I'll be keeping him in my thoughts and sending warm :jingles: his way.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Jingles for LaughATTACK's horse and for ALL the horses caught up in this mess.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

The following from the Florida Dept of Ag:

EHV-1 Outbreak and Quarantine Information March 1, 2013 Revised information is italicized A horse participating in the Horse Shows in the Sun (HITS) horse show in Ocala was referred to the University of Florida, College of Veterinary Medicine after showing clinical neurological signs on February 20th. The horse subsequently tested positive for the Equine Herpes Virus (EHV-1), wild-type strain. Currently, the horse is in stable condition and continues to be treated at the University of Florida. Six additional horses that are linked to the HITS Show in Ocala have tested positive for EHV-1 wild type. One is located at Redfield Farm in Ocala and four are located at Miles Away Farm in Loxahatchee, Florida. One of the positive horses located at Miles Away Farm, has developed neurological signs today and is being treated at the University of Florida, College of Veterinary Medicine. While the additional positive horses were detected after leaving the Showgrounds, they resided in Tent 3 and Tent 6 in proximity to Tent 7 which housed the index case. With evidence of more widespread exposure, the HITS Showgrounds have been placed under quarantine. The sixth horse had no clinical signs of disease and is located at Calder Farms in Ocala. That horse continues to remain clinically healthy with no signs of EHV-1 infection. A horse not believed to be linked with any of the HITS-associated quarantined premises has also been positive for EHV-1. This horse is located at Tequestrian Farm in Wellington, Florida. The Division of Animal Industry is continuing their disease investigation and developing protocols for surveillance and quarantine release measures. An Incident Command Team comprised of state and federal personnel has been mobilized to implement appropriate control measures. The FEI tent at Wellington Showgrounds was released from quarantine on Thursday, February 28, 2013 after test results for the horses tested on that premises were negative. Quarantined Farms/Premises**  HITS Showgrounds, Ocala – Entire facility  Up Country Farm/Synergy Farm, Ocala  Montera Farm, Ocala  Flutterby Farm, Ocala  Foxwood Farms, Pinellas Park
     Black Forest Farm, St. Augustine
     POD-F Farm (Littlewood Farm), Wellington
     Brookmore Farm, Oviedo
     Kings Ridge Farm, Reddick
    • Tequestrian Farm, Wellington
    • Redfield Farm, Ocala
    • Miles Away Farm, Loxahatchee
    **The quarantines listed above do not necessarily encompass the entire premises.
    New Quarantined Premises
     Calder Farms
    Premises Released from Quarantine
     FEI tent at Wellington Showgrounds – February 28, 2013
    Recommendations for horses that have shown at HITS since February 5, 2013 include
    close monitoring of animals, reporting of fevers greater than 101.50F and strict biosecurity
    measures for at least 21 days after departure from HITS.
    Additional movement requirements or restrictions have not been imposed by Florida or
    any other states at this time. We are advising horse owners and trainers to contact the
    venue of destination for any additional requirements prior to travel.
    We are asking all those in the equine community to practice prudent bio-security on their
    farm and to report any suspected cases of EHV-1. For reporting, you may call 850-410-
    0900 Monday through Friday 8:00am-5:00pm and 1-800-342-5869 after hours and
    weekends.
    The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services with continue to work with
    HITS management, trainers, and veterinarians to ensure proper safeguards are taken to
    prevent further spread of the disease.
    Frequent informational updates will be provided, so please continue to visit this Website
    regularly

Jingles for LaughATTACK's horse and for ALL the horses at HITS Ocala, plese let us know how he progresses, prayers too

Quote Originally Posted by Summit Springs Farm View Post
    Jingles for LaughATTACK's horse and for ALL the horses at HITS Ocala, plese let us know how he progresses, prayers too
    Lots of jingles.

It's amazing how much misinformation there is out there. Apparently there's a barn in my area that had exposed horses at HITS Ocala (a tent near tent 7). Came home and separated all the HITS horses. Since they didn't have symptoms, they're going to back to the show barn and business as usual. I appreciate the effort.... but where's the information here? 21 day incubation period. TWENTY ONE DAYS. It's been, what, less than a week?! I am sure this person has good intentions, but the education needs to get out there. This person is risking exposing the rest of the horses in the barn and the rest of us in the area if we venture out in public/to shows (which I am not).
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

2 members found this post helpful.

I thought the incubation period was 3-7 days, but the 'shedding period' was 21 days?

21 days is an estimate, according to my vet, who also says it remains a latent virus that can reappear anytime the horse gets stressed (I'm guessing much like herpes in humans where fever blisters pop up on your lip - or elsewhere - when you get stressed). Its a troubling thing to consider that exposed horses can shed the virus for an unknown period of time.

Im wondering why some exposed horses get symptomatic and others don't and if there is anything in addition to vaccines we can do to bump up their immune system to make them more resistant or resilient. I plan to discuss this with my vet.

thank you for specific information in a timely manner.

The following from the Florida Dept of Ag:

EHV-1 Outbreak and Quarantine Information March 1, 2013 Revised information is italicized A horse participating in the Horse Shows in the Sun (HITS) horse show in Ocala was referred to the University of Florida, College of Veterinary Medicine after showing clinical neurological signs on February 20th. The horse subsequently tested positive for the Equine Herpes Virus (EHV-1), wild-type strain. Currently, the horse is in stable condition and continues to be treated at the University of Florida. Six additional horses that are linked to the HITS Show in Ocala have tested positive for EHV-1 wild type. One is located at Redfield Farm in Ocala and four are located at Miles Away Farm in Loxahatchee, Florida. One of the positive horses located at Miles Away Farm, has developed neurological signs today and is being treated at the University of Florida, College of Veterinary Medicine. While the additional positive horses were detected after leaving the Showgrounds, they resided in Tent 3 and Tent 6 in proximity to Tent 7 which housed the index case. With evidence of more widespread exposure, the HITS Showgrounds have been placed under quarantine. The sixth horse had no clinical signs of disease and is located at Calder Farms in Ocala. That horse continues to remain clinically healthy with no signs of EHV-1 infection. A horse not believed to be linked with any of the HITS-associated quarantined premises has also been positive for EHV-1. This horse is located at Tequestrian Farm in Wellington, Florida. The Division of Animal Industry is continuing their disease investigation and developing protocols for surveillance and quarantine release measures. An Incident Command Team comprised of state and federal personnel has been mobilized to implement appropriate control measures. The FEI tent at Wellington Showgrounds was released from quarantine on Thursday, February 28, 2013 after test results for the horses tested on that premises were negative. Quarantined Farms/Premises**  HITS Showgrounds, Ocala – Entire facility  Up Country Farm/Synergy Farm, Ocala  Montera Farm, Ocala  Flutterby Farm, Ocala  Foxwood Farms, Pinellas Park
     Black Forest Farm, St. Augustine
     POD-F Farm (Littlewood Farm), Wellington
     Brookmore Farm, Oviedo
     Kings Ridge Farm, Reddick
    • Tequestrian Farm, Wellington
    • Redfield Farm, Ocala
    • Miles Away Farm, Loxahatchee
    **The quarantines listed above do not necessarily encompass the entire premises.
    New Quarantined Premises
     Calder Farms
    Premises Released from Quarantine
     FEI tent at Wellington Showgrounds – February 28, 2013
    Recommendations for horses that have shown at HITS since February 5, 2013 include
    close monitoring of animals, reporting of fevers greater than 101.50F and strict biosecurity
    measures for at least 21 days after departure from HITS.
    Additional movement requirements or restrictions have not been imposed by Florida or
    any other states at this time. We are advising horse owners and trainers to contact the
    venue of destination for any additional requirements prior to travel.
    We are asking all those in the equine community to practice prudent bio-security on their
    farm and to report any suspected cases of EHV-1. For reporting, you may call 850-410-
    0900 Monday through Friday 8:00am-5:00pm and 1-800-342-5869 after hours and
    weekends.
    The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services with continue to work with
    HITS management, trainers, and veterinarians to ensure proper safeguards are taken to
    prevent further spread of the disease.
    Frequent informational updates will be provided, so please continue to visit this Website
    regularly
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Update on our two horses, we are on day nine of our self imposed quarantine.

Both horses have normal temperatures, taken twice a day,morning and afternoon, well we have been taking it at lunch time too, but its supposedly unnecessary.

Both horses have a runny nose,both horses have had their nose swabbed for 3 day in a row as well as their blood taken. The swabs and blood will go to UGA for tests to determine if they are positive for EVH-1. We will know results on Tuesday.
    Both horses a bright and eating well.
    Strick bio-security in place in barn. NO contact with other horses.

4 members found this post helpful.

Hope your guys are ok summit springs! Glad your doing the right thing.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Bristol Bay, maybe there wasn't a 'massive' outbreak after Thermal last year, but up here in the PNW it continued to circulate (see post #83). Not only did one horse in the barn where I keep my horses die, but several others in our barn got sick a month or more later, after being exposed to a horse who got sick a week after returning from Thermal. Since one of the other trainers in the barn continued to show, it spread to other barns. We (my trainer) had a self-imposed quarentine that lasted for months. There was a lot of pressure from other trainers in the facility to deny that horses were sick or dead so that they could go do as they pleased. We kept the area vets in the loop and called on their expertise in educating others, but you can't make other trainers, HITS, or anyone else do the right thing.
    Wow, Kestrel. I had no idea. Our vets really downplayed it and thought people were overreacting by staying home from the shows in droves. The Thermal thread petered out and I stopped checking the CA ag page after a while of no news.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

USEF just released a statement stating that the "Florida Department of Agriculture has confirmed that a second horse associated with the Ocala Equine Herpes Virus 1 (EHV-1) has presented with neurological signs."

http://www.usefnetwork.com/news/9641...n_florida.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by DNB View Post
    USEF just released a statement stating that the "Florida Department of Agriculture has confirmed that a second horse associated with the Ocala Equine Herpes Virus 1 (EHV-1) has presented with neurological signs."

http://www.usefnetwork.com/news/9641...n_florida.aspx
    This is all so confusing. Would this mean that both strains are going around?
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Correct. Both EHV strains are going around as well as straight flu.

I thought I read on the Florida Ag page last night that its just the wild type? Two horses have presented neuro symptoms, right? But the first confirmed as wild type, right?

I'm getting confused now...
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by slainte! View Post
    Correct. Both EHV strains are going around as well as straight flu.
    Please read the article I posted in this thread. There is not a strain of neurological EHV-1. The individual horse mutates the EHV-1 into neurological symptoms.

Please read the article I posted in this thread. There is not a strain of neurological EHV-1. The individual horse mutates the EHV-1 into neurological symptoms.
    Ahh. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis