The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grandysgirl View Post
    FYI, rumor has it that there is a barn in Maryland that has been quarantined yesterday (at 5pm) who left the showgrounds before the lock down (by only a couple of hours). Oh even better, they stopped at Aiken on their way home. So now we are potentially infecting the professional Eventers now too. Oh joy!
    Granted, that post started with "rumor has it" and I'm sure you haven't had a chance to confirm it, so I'll try not to get carried away, but that's what I was wondering would happen with Aiken. Now, perhaps I'm not following you, but are you sure they didn't stop by the PSJ Highfields, instead of whichever event was in the area? I've noticed people have mentioned the fear of it spreading around Zone 2, but how many people swing into the March Madness shows in Aiken on their way home? I honestly don't know, as I'm not a snowbirder. Can someone weigh in on that?

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I got an email this morning that said a horse show in New York has been postponed, since the farm that hosts it recently returned from Ocala before the outbreak. They have no sick horses, but they are doing the responsible, prudent thing by erring on the side of caution.
    So thankful for the responsible barn owners.

4 members found this post helpful.

I have directed all my FB friends and everyone at my barn to this thread. Scary stuff.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    So thankful for the responsible barn owners.
    Right?! Good on them! I'm sure they already had cash out there for putting on a show, too. Massive kudos.

3 members found this post helpful.

We arrived there the 18th, showed the wed, thurs with one horse in the first years and ticketed with the other, found out that Friday am at 9:38am a phone call from our trainer.

I was still at hotel sleeping in getting ready to show in the Adults, soooo excited.

Made the decision after calling our vet to pack up and leave, we potentially exposed for 3 days.

Next called our groom said pack up we are leaving.

Next call to trainer at home to pick up my 3 horses at my farm, told her about our situation. So we could arrive at an empty barn.

Next called our neighbor to let her know and to call her vet and get any instructions we may need being next door.

Next spoke to show vet to make sure we were not risking others and if our health cert was valid, all good.

Checked out and drove home.

We are self quarantine and are following bio-security measures until its been 21 days.

I posted a very good article eveybody who is intested in this virus should read.

Take the emotions and $$ out of the equation and we can all rest alittle easier that we are doing the right thing.

26 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy17 View Post
    Granted, that post started with "rumor has it" and I'm sure you haven't had a chance to confirm it, so I'll try not to get carried away, but that's what I was wondering would happen with Aiken. Now, perhaps I'm not following you, but are you sure they didn't stop by the PSJ Highfields, instead of whichever event was in the area? I've noticed people have mentioned the fear of it spreading around Zone 2, but how many people swing into the March Madness shows in Aiken on their way home? I honestly don't know, as I'm not a snowbirder. Can someone weigh in on that?
    Press Release on PSJ site-
    no horses allowed from Post time farm from a certain date. I dont know why I cant copy and paste the press release but its dated Feb 28th and on the front page of the PSJ website.
    RIP Triple Take (aka Indiana )

Quote Originally Posted by Jumperprincess View Post
    Starhorse, What is the state for that IEA show-thanks
    Sending you a PM.

SUMMITSPRINGSFARM Hope all your horses remain safe and sound.
    friend of bar*ka

1 members found this post helpful.

I got an email this morning that said a horse show in New York has been postponed, since the farm that hosts it recently returned from Ocala before the outbreak. They have no sick horses, but they are doing the responsible, prudent thing by erring on the side of caution.
    Can you post the name of the barn so we can give them kudos?

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    Can you post the name of the barn so we can give them kudos?
    Lehman Farms near Rochester, NY. Good on them!

12 members found this post helpful.

FYI, rumor has it that there is a barn in Maryland that has been quarantined yesterday (at 5pm) who left the showgrounds before the lock down (by only a couple of hours). Oh even better, they stopped at Aiken on their way home. So now we are potentially infecting the professional Eventers now too. Oh joy!
    This is scary. Horses from my barn are in Aiken now and are coming back the end of next week.

If anyone cares to dredge up the threads from last year's outbreak at Thermal, there were little to no consequences for the lack of quarantine. I don't know if the circumstances are exactly comparable, but there was no massive spread of disease from that show. We had horses come back from that show and our BM and vets were not concerned. The biggest impact was financial, as far as shows canceling or limping along with very low numbers. In other words, the sky didn't fall except on show organizers.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Lehman Farms near Rochester, NY. Good on them!

Gail is amazing!

3 members found this post helpful.

Is the barn quarantined because of a sick horse or as a precautionary measure?

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    If anyone cares to dredge up the threads from last year's outbreak at Thermal, there were little to no consequences for the lack of quarantine. I don't know if the circumstances are exactly comparable, but there was no massive spread of disease from that show. We had horses come back from that show and our BM and vets were not concerned. The biggest impact was financial, as far as shows canceling or limping along with very low numbers. In other words, the sky didn't fall except on show organizers.
    Here is the link for the Thermal thread:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-Thermal-EHV-1

At this point I have zero faith in HITS management to do what they are able to safeguard horses at their shows. Enough so that I wouldn't show there. Not that it's super-likely at this point anyway, so I'm not exactly making them lose revenue. But enough that I'm having second thoughts about my field trip out to Thermal because I'm just that annoyed..
    The Evil Chem Prof

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Is anyone else's vet recommending vaccinating for EHV-1. He says it may help by reving up the horses immune system, but it has no labeled effect for the mutant strain. He say we will probably have horses returning from HITS to our area soon.
    Last edited by csaper58; Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM.

My vet recommended against it. Said it doesn't help with the neuro kind and vaccines of any kind can stress the horse.

Granted, the authorities need to communicate better. However, any post that starts out " rumor has it" is not helpful.

This situation is bad enough and rumors have a way of evolving, and start getting stated as fact, adding even more confusion.

JMO

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    We kept our horses off grounds and trailered in to show before the quaratine. None of our horses are exhibiting any signs not do they have temperatures. We are doing a voluntary quaratine and NOT coming home for 21 day since the last day of being at the show grounds in the best interest of our horses at home. My trainer is taking temperatures three times a day. Of course I want my boy home and the cost to keep him on day care for that time of his vacation will be considerable, but its the right thing to do.
    THANK YOU! This IS the right thing to do.

4 members found this post helpful.