The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LJD View Post
    Agreed. I would be hiring an attorney to go after all of the decision-making parties for negligence.
    Absolutely. Especially making people still pay the show fees. That rises somewhat above mere negligence IMO. Lawyer up, riders.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by starhorse View Post
    A barn in the NE I used to ride at left Ocala on Sunday, and more or less bragged on Facebook that they made it through inspection with no issues.

Did I mention they are hosting an IEA regional show on Saturday?
    Oh, no.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by titan View Post
    I would be equally concerned with 'other' drugs that suppress the immune system and make a horse more susceptible to infection.
    Like Dexamethasone?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NinaL aka Chrissy View Post
    Like Dexamethasone?
    Or even bute?

I think Dex, for sure, depresses the immune system and, quite likely Bute would mask a fever..

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    Random question, because I am just curious - are there meds that the show horses take (legally for legitimate reasons) that might also suppress/reduce a fever. I ask b/c, based on reading, it seems like taking the temperatures twice a day is the best way to detect a horse that might be infected - monitoring for fever spike.
    I can't find anything really contraindicating acetaminophen in horses. And that can quickly reduce a fever at very low doses, especially if used with other cooling techniques.
    Last edited by k_lee85; Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:17 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    I have a question. If people can't come in to show, yet they still hold the show, can someone sue/complain otherwise hassel the USEF to have points not count for the weeks during quarantine?
    Wondered the same thing....what happens in this instance??

Also, just curious to those who know about the virus: could you draw blood and test for EHV if the horse has been exposed?? Would that be an accurate way of finding out or would it be useless?

I don't feel that USEF can make the points not count. We still have to pay the USEF fees and it is a USEF recognized horse show. I am sure this is going to get blasted but what else are we supposed to do, we are stuck here on the grounds and the horses have to get out and keep their daily routine as normal as possible to avoid any more stress. With that said if I could have gotten my horses off the grounds when the rumor mill started the other day I would have but it just wasn't an option for me.

For all you critics on here unless you are in this situation you really don't know how you would react to it. It sucks and we are all trying to get thru this as best we can.

8 members found this post helpful.

Points should not be an issue at this time.

The welfare of the horses is the only thing that matters.
    friend of bar*ka

4 members found this post helpful.

Does anyone know if the horses/ponies that left before the HITS Ocala quarantine are being quarantined and tested now that they arrived back home? I know a trainer in PA that was stabled and showing in Ocala came back this week just before the quarantine. They show a lot and I am hoping not to see them in zone 2 anytime soon.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by njhorseshowmom View Post
    Does anyone know if the horses/ponies that left before the HITS Ocala quarantine are being quarantined and tested now that they arrived back home? I know a trainer in PA that was stabled and showing in Ocala came back this week just before the quarantine. They show a lot and I am hoping not to see them in zone 2 anytime soon.
    This is my concern. That people may have had exposed but asymptomatic horses at HITS Ocala, thought they were "out of danger" and came home. Only to then have their horse expose other horses at home.
    Last edited by vxf111; Mar. 1, 2013 at 09:12 AM.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

3 members found this post helpful.

We kept our horses off grounds and trailered in to show before the quaratine. None of our horses are exhibiting any signs not do they have temperatures. We are doing a voluntary quaratine and NOT coming home for 21 day since the last day of being at the show grounds in the best interest of our horses at home. My trainer is taking temperatures three times a day. Of course I want my boy home and the cost to keep him on day care for that time of his vacation will be considerable, but its the right thing to do.
    RIP Triple Take (aka Indiana )

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by brynleigh View Post
    ...With that said if I could have gotten my horses off the grounds when the rumor mill started the other day I would have but it just wasn't an option for me.

For all you critics on here unless you are in this situation you really don't know how you would react to it. It sucks and we are all trying to get thru this as best we can.
    Yeah, I know a few that shipped down there about a week ago, after this started. Since they don't dwell on computer chat boards and social media, they knew nothing until they had been there a few days. Then all they got was rumors and run around from management.

When you are on the hook for 3 weeks worth of UNREFUNDABLE stall and misc. other charges (that could hit 1k a week or more) with no definitive information? On a HUGE show grounds? With a 1200+mile trip home? It is not so easy.

Something similar happened about 8 years ago or so at WEF. EHV was confirmed in Ohio and a barn with affected horses, including one that died at OSU, shipped some others down to WEF. Caused quite a stir but show management lacked any authority to step in since the horses met all requirements for entry including a 30 day health certificate and a voluntary check up and temp readings over several days by the show vet. Not sure what some think show management is actually able to do unless the state folks step in that do have the authority.

That said, show management DOES have the authority to validate any rumors by utilizing a show vet and send an e mail or otherwise attempt to contact all owners and trainers with entries and give them the information...and instigate some type of refund policy for those that do want to stay home or leave early if circumstances allow.

But those stuck there on that vast outdoor showgrounds should certainly go ahead and show using basic common sense and daily temp checks. Not like it's a crowded and dank indoor set up with poor ventilation which is where the crap really thrives and spreads (it can and does spread anywhere with direct contact but more likely to do so in the crowded indoor environment).

I would hope the one barn mentioned that left has the good sense to NOT host that winter, indoor IEA event with guest horses and human guests who will go home and come in contact with other horses coming in though. Likewise, any other barn should use common sense in hosting any winter/indoor shows within 30 days of return...that's what most of the Ohio barns did during our midwinter EHV outbreak. They cancelled. And refunded any pre paids.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer13 View Post
    It includes both strains. But remember, just because a horse gets EHV-1 does NOT mean it will become neurologic, or that the virus it sheds will make another horse neurologic. The virus has to mutate.
    I am thus assuming that any horse with EHV can no longer show, be stabled around other horses or be sold. If there is no cure, this seems as good as a death sentence.

Why oh why would people take that risk or put others at risk.

SMH at those who brought horses back and aren't quarantining them.
    Last edited by SSacky; Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: woops

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Yeah, I know a few that shipped down there about a week ago, after this started. Since they don't dwell on computer chat boards and social media, they knew nothing until they had been there a few days. Then all they got was rumors and run around from management.
    THOSE are the people who I feel really bad for, as well as those who were too busy at the show to get real news and relied on HITS management. I know my trainer, try as he might, is not internet savvy at all. Now, I'll refrain from comment on anyone else who thumbed their nose at the situation and I'm nervous about those who think that HITS are actually on top of reporting and guiding people... I only hope those people have talked to their vets at home and got the real scoop on how to handle.

For other reasons on top of this, I really want to avoid Culpeper this year. However, getting my trainer and the whole freakin' barn on board will prove to be a difficult task. HITS needs more competition, IMO. I not saying I want management to come down to the ring and give me a hug every time I get ribbon, but at least give a _______ about your clients. I get it's a business, but don't make it obvious it's just a money grab for you.

Ooops. I ranted. My bad.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy17 View Post
    For other reasons on top of this, I really want to avoid Culpeper this year. However, getting my trainer and the whole freakin' barn on board will prove to be a difficult task. HITS needs more competition, IMO. I not saying I want management to come down to the ring and give me a hug every time I get ribbon, but at least give a _______ about your clients. I get it's a business, but don't make it obvious it's just a money grab for you.
    ^^This. After hearing updates through my vet here, and waiting and waiting for HITS to make formal up-to-date statements to inform their customers, I just have little respect for their management right now. I noted in an article written by The Chronicle, when management was asked about the newly in place quarantine, they had explained that they wanted to be sure that those that wanted to get onto the grounds could do so. It really disgusts me their blatant disregard for their customers and the horses that they make their living off of.

After all is said and done, they've lost a customer in me.

Quote Originally Posted by SSacky View Post
    I am thus assuming that any horse with EHV can no longer show, be stabled around other horses or be sold. If there is no cure, this seems as good as a life sentence.

Why oh why would people take that risk or put others at risk.

SMH at those who brought horses back and aren't quarantining them.
    Thats not accurate. Here is some info from the USDA:

By 2 years of age, almost all horses have been
    infected with EHV-1. The initial exposure generally
    occurs in foals from contact with their dams.
    The virus can then become latent, or inactive, in
    the horse’s body, setting up a carrier state that
    is life-long. Horses of any age that are carriers of
    EHV-1 do not show any external signs of disease
    when the virus is in a latent form. The virus can
    be reactivated during times of stress, such as
    strenuous exercise, long-distance transport, or at
    weaning.
    Here is the source.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

FYI, rumor has it that there is a barn in Maryland that has been quarantined yesterday (at 5pm) who left the showgrounds before the lock down (by only a couple of hours). Oh even better, they stopped at Aiken on their way home. So now we are potentially infecting the professional Eventers now too. Oh joy!
    Nothing is as good for the inside of a man as the outside of a horse. Sir Winston Churchill.

I got an email this morning that said a horse show in New York has been postponed, since the farm that hosts it recently returned from Ocala before the outbreak. They have no sick horses, but they are doing the responsible, prudent thing by erring on the side of caution.

10 members found this post helpful.