The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

NM - I answered my own question!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    "Once a horse contracts Equine Herpes Virus he or she has the virus for life. No method exists which will eradicate the disease, but extended periods of latency (viral dormancy) are commonly observed in one’s horse."

Now does this include EVH 4 or just EVH 1????
    It includes both strains. But remember, just because a horse gets EHV-1 does NOT mean it will become neurologic, or that the virus it sheds will make another horse neurologic. The virus has to mutate.

1 members found this post helpful.

Just got an email from USEF on the issue....
    They're only a week late.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpony321 View Post
    Just got an email from USEF on the issue....
    They're only a week late.
    And it says, basically, nothing. Call a show before you go to make sure the show's not impacted. CALL A SHOW BEFORE YOU GO?! How about "stay put until this gets resolved."
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

7 members found this post helpful.

FEI at WEF just posted on Facebook "FEI UPDATE: FEI is open for business."

Not exactly sure what that means. Will try to get more info.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

The Ocala Young Horse Show scheduled for 19 March has been postponed due to the virus. Rain date will be announced in due course.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

The quarantine has been lifted at WEF! The horses in the FEI stabling came back negative. Woo!
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

6 members found this post helpful.

Starhorse, What is the state for that IEA show-thanks

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    The quarantine has been lifted at WEF! The horses in the FEI stabling came back negative. Woo!
    Fantastic.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer13 View Post
    It includes both strains. But remember, just because a horse gets EHV-1 does NOT mean it will become neurologic, or that the virus it sheds will make another horse neurologic. The virus has to mutate.
    Not exactly, this is very difficult to explain in lay terms. The wild type virus doesn't have to mutate, there is a mutant strain already.
    However, in +/- 20% of EHM cases the wild type virus was found to be responsible of the neurologic symptoms but 80% of the time horses with EHM were infected with the mutant strain. Hopes this helps explain.
    Viruses like EHV that need their host to survive so that the virus can survive generally do not mutate quickly, it is conterproductive for them to kill the host.

I have a question. If people can't come in to show, yet they still hold the show, can someone sue/complain otherwise hassel the USEF to have points not count for the weeks during quarantine?
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Char0308 View Post
    Lets not forget one of the new cases is said to not even be related to the HITS Ocala show grounds, so we would have it in FL even without horses travelling from HITS. (Not excusing HITS, just saying) I believe that one is in Loxahatchee near Wellington. Thats what is even a little more scary to me; is that this can lay latent in horses and just pop up when immune system and stress levels are right for it to happen. Yikes!
    Just to clarify - the barn in Loxahatchee with four confirmed cases ... those cases ARE directly related to Ocala. After showing in Ocala for two weeks, the horses returned to their winter base in Lox with plans to finish out the winter at WEF as always. Fortunately, the spiked temps were caught before heading to the showgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    I have a question. If people can't come in to show, yet they still hold the show, can someone sue/complain otherwise hassel the USEF to have points not count for the weeks during quarantine?
    Very good question! I'd be curious, too.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by titan View Post
    Not exactly, this is very difficult to explain in lay terms. The wild type virus doesn't have to mutate, there is a mutant strain already.
    However, in +/- 20% of EHM cases the wild type virus was found to be responsible of the neurologic symptoms but 80% of the time horses with EHM were infected with the mutant strain. Hopes this helps explain.
    Viruses like EHV that need their host to survive so that the virus can survive generally do not mutate quickly, it is conterproductive for them to kill the host.
    OK, but I am correct that most horses that are carriers of EHV-1 will not develop EHM, right? Always thought EHM was similar to FIP/FECV in cats in that it was always a mutant of a less virulent form, but I stand corrected.

And feel free to explain in non-layman's terms (I'd prefer it actually, I have some knowledge of basic immunology and virology)

Quote Originally Posted by Summit Springs Farm View Post
    Excellent resource! Thanks.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

2 members found this post helpful.

Random question, because I am just curious - are there meds that the show horses take (legally for legitimate reasons) that might also suppress/reduce a fever. I ask b/c, based on reading, it seems like taking the temperatures twice a day is the best way to detect a horse that might be infected - monitoring for fever spike.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

2 members found this post helpful.

I am a dinosaur in the field now (participated in the first human gene therapy trial using retroviral vectors back in 1990, eek) so I am not the best resource for current information. Maybe some vet student is studying that chapter now and can educate everyone. I was just trying to clarify some of the confusion between the different forms of the virus and the frequency of neurological symptoms. I am sure it seems that neurological cases are more prevalent but that is probably because so many wild type infections have mild symptoms that can't be distinguished from other equine respiratory virus and go unreported.

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    Random question, because I am just curious - are there meds that the show horses take (legally for legitimate reasons) that might also suppress/reduce a fever. I ask b/c, based on reading, it seems like taking the temperatures twice a day is the best way to detect a horse that might be infected - monitoring for fever spike.
    I would be equally concerned with 'other' drugs that suppress the immune system and make a horse more susceptible to infection.