The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Too early to start thinking about conspiracy theories? **

**I do not actually think this is a conspiracy to destroy the hunter/jumper world. I know that sarcasm doesn't always travel across the internet clearly...

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    Sorry for the dumb question, but is EHV-1 always fatal? Or does it depend on the type?
    No.

The SAME virus most often cuases respiratory/nasal probems (rarely fatal), less often caues abortion/foal death (often fatal to the foal or embryo but not the mare), or neurological problems (of which a significant percent are fatal).
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    No.

The SAME virus most often cuases respiratory/nasal probems (rarely fatal), less often caues abortion/foal death (often fatal to the foal or embryo but not the mare), or neurological problems (of which a significant percent are fatal).
    Thanks!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Sigh. Scary stuff. I ride at the NJ outpost of one of the farms under quarantine. We likely won't be showing/bringing any horses in or out for several weeks.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Sigh. Scary stuff. I ride at the NJ outpost of one of the farms under quarantine. We likely won't be showing/bringing any horses in or out for several weeks.
    I feel for your farm as well as any of the other NJ-based farms that also travel to Ocala (really, anyone who attended both Gardnertown and Ocala, or whose barnmates did.) Potential double whammy.

I hope all the affected horses make swift, full recoveries and don't transmit this to anybody else. What a nightmare this could really turn out to be. I hope it doesn't.

Even if my horse were in any condition to be going anywhere, I would be staying home from horse shows right now. It's the equine equivalent of "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been." With horses traveling home who could have been exposed, and horses who could have been exposed through their barnmates... I am suddenly very, very glad I recently moved to a small farm with limited equine traffic in and out. (For more reasons than just this!)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

3 members found this post helpful.

My horse was stabled nearby- off the show grounds. Did one class about 12:30 -1:00 today. The quarantine/new case announcement was made
    about 2:30. They gave a time frame where anyone could leave. My barn decided to leave immediately. Office personnel unapologetic - had to pay $175 Nomination Fee (in addition to expected class, USEF fees, etc )for one warm up / schooling class even though was told could not bring horse back on show grounds to show in other 3 planned ,Nominated classes -as if I would, Never would have shown today if HITS had been forthcoming this morning about the new cases associated with their show. Felt like a setup.

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Carry On View Post
    My horse was stabled nearby- off the show grounds. Did one class about 12:30 -1:00 today. The quarantine/new case announcement was made
    about 2:30. They gave a time frame where anyone could leave. My barn decided to leave immediately. Office personnel unapologetic - had to pay $175 Nomination Fee (in addition to expected class, USEF fees, etc )for one warm up / schooling class even though was told could not bring horse back on show grounds to show in other 3 planned ,Nominated classes -as if I would, Never would have shown today if HITS had been forthcoming this morning about the new cases associated with their show. Felt like a setup.
    Wait so they imposed a quarantine but only after informing the show grounds and giving a cut off that mass exodus must be performed prior ?? What the fruit bat ?
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

9 members found this post helpful.

Yup

My trainer said a bunch of people left today before the quarantine. She said there are a lot of empty stalls.

My barn's horses are still there. I'll be there Friday. Will report back if I hear anything newsworthy. Here's hoping all horses stay healthy - and the sick ones have a speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Wait so they imposed a quarantine but only after informing the show grounds and giving a cut off that mass exodus must be performed prior ?? What the fruit bat ?
    I totally agree. What kind of effing quarantine is it if you give everyone time to leave first? Were there vans lined up on the way out of Post Time?
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

9 members found this post helpful.

HITS has got to be the most disrespectful show company I have ever encountered. This is atrocious. I cannot believe that they are doing this. I don't know if USEF has the power to do anything, but this would be the time to stand up for its members and horses in general. They are putting EVERY horse from a state that was present at HITS Ocala at danger! EHV-1 is notorious for spreading EASILY and QUICKLY. I am appalled. I really hope WEF will be much more proactive than HITS.

Did HITS really think that the index case would be the only one? EHV-1 can take awhile to show up. Obviously more were on the way. This angers me so, so much. This is so much worse than any nickel-and-dime-ing scheme Struzzieri has done. I know HITS shows are nationwide and are very convenient for many people, but think about what's happening here and how these people have NO REGARD FOR YOUR HORSES' WELL BEING!

I just cannot believe that they basically let a free-for-all-get-out-of-dodge exit happen today. What's the point of the quarantine by doing that?

15 members found this post helpful.

I attended the 2 pm meeting on the HITS show grounds. Been here for a a few weeks and it has been utter hell. Mostly because of lack of information from the show itself. It was good that now HITS is not (really) calling the shots and FL state has taken the reins (trucks/staff) everywhere. A lot of information was (finally!) given at the meeting and names were mentioned. Ship in ARE allowed...however they are not allowed to leave once they come in. All horses on property are now "quarantined" until further notice. Horses are encouraged ($$) to show, though now braiding is not expected, etc--even security is not allowed to walk through barns because of risk of contamination. Remarkable how many vans tried to leave property tonight but could not. I could ramble with opinions and observations---i'm livid how this was handles- though it's all so exhausting. My main hope is everyone will adhere to any measures that can be taken to prevent this from spreading further.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by k_lee85 View Post
    "With evidence of more widespread exposure, all of the horses at the HITS showgrounds have been placed under quarantine. The Division of Animal Industry is continuing their disease investigation and developing protocols for surveillance and quarantine release measures"

Wow. Epidemiologist here and this is making the FL dept. of agriculture look awful. You are supposed to have the protocols "developed" and in place BEFORE the outbreak starts. Doesn't really work when done the other way around.
    Obviously, this is a horrible nightmare for horses & their people. But, I am completely flabbergasted that Florida, a state where horses are a huge economic deal, would be so lackadaisical. Non horse people should be paying attention to this, too; b/c I wouldn't expect them to be any more on the ball w/ something that could make people sick.

On a horse note, maybe somebody knows for sure; but I think each state can decide whether or NOT to let horses from Florida INTO their state regardless of whether Florida let them OUT.

My prayers are with the horses and people who are & will be affected by this. Be safe, people!
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    No words.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Siiiigh. I have a horse that just went to Ocala. JUST went. Now she's stuck there and I'm freaking out a bit. Of course not sure I want to bring her home and risk making my whole farm sick. What a nightmare. I wish they had been more on top of things and forthcoming with information prior to today.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Quote Originally Posted by lovemyboy View Post
    Horses are encouraged ($$) to show, though now braiding is not expected, etc--even security is not allowed to walk through barns because of risk of contamination.
    How kind of them. Show management must really think they are being kind no longer requiring braiding! Incredible security measures. No braiders or security can walk through the barns for fear of spreading a disease they refused to believe was worth even quarantining for as early as this morning.

4 members found this post helpful.

Inexcusable incompetence.

Best wishes to all that have horses at risk. Thinking of you. Hang in there!

For god's sake don't take your horse to the show to be quarantined.

Now the worries continue to be spread to the farms receiving the horses that decided to leave before the lock down. How many horses are we exposing here? I can't believe that they were given a time limit to remove their horses from the grounds. This is not going to be over any time soon.

Wow, how could an operation be as clueless as HITS?

It is a business for HITS,he does not care. So all of you folks who are so upset,the way to hit this guy in the gut is you don't attend his horse shows. What aggravates me the most is the fact that USEF has not shut him down. Why the heck he is still allowing horses to show is beyond my comprehension. You have a break-out you keep animals away from each other. You do not stress them and decrease their immune systems. STOP the show-use some common sense and put your pocketbook on the shelf Mr. S.

8 members found this post helpful.