The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    Perhaps this is a dumb question, but what exactly is "wild type"?
    Wild type is a scientific term for the normal, non-mutant strain.

2 members found this post helpful.

Five additional horses that are linked to the HITS Show in Ocala have tested positive for EHV-1 wild type. One is located at Redfield Farm in Ocala, four are located at Miles Away Farm in Loxahatchee, Florida. One horse not believed to be linked with any of the HITS-associated quarantined premises has also been positive for EHV-1. This horse is located at Tequestrian Farm in Wellington, Florida.
    http://eventingnation.com/home/ehv-1...uarantine.html

Quote Originally Posted by APirateLooksAtForty View Post
    Going to ask again since my question got buried: where did you see which tents in Ocala were under quarantine (before the show-qide quarantine, of course)?? Earlier on this thread, someone said tents 6, 7 and 3 were on lockdown and it was info contained in a press release. Could someone post that press release, or point me to it?
    Sorry! I just logged back in and saw your earlier post. I believe someone already directed you to the link. I know it's on one of Equestrian Sport or FL Ag's releases - if you still want to see the original release let me know and I'll go look for it.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Char0308 View Post
    I really wish they would post if this new EHV horse in Wellington was at HITS Ocala or not, so we know if its totally new track of horses that have to be researched to index case or if it originates to Ocala Index case. There are horses in my neighborhood that came back from Ocala this past weekend to various barns.
    The horse in Grand Prix Village did not come from Ocala.

Quote Originally Posted by slainte! View Post
    The horse in Grand Prix Village did not come from Ocala.
    I find this much more disturbing than if it had come from Ocala...

3 members found this post helpful.

it's mind boggling to me that people would still be GOING to the shows?? Whatever happened to common sense? whether or not the horse show management says you can come, (but then you can't leave?)...... seriously??? WHO DOES THAT?

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    It comes down to money as far as the show management is concerned. There is no way in h*ll I would send a horse to show given the circumstances and am shocked that a) they are allowing horses on the grounds, and b) people still want to come and c) the show is continuing, for the reasons you listed.

I'm not a vet or a trainer but allowing horses on the grounds seems highly irresponsible to me.

6 members found this post helpful.

I'm confused. If all of HITS is under quarantine, how are there no travel restrictions? Can the horses at HITS leave anytime? How does this work?
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Just to let anyone wondering know -

There are four horses on a quarantined premises in Loxahatchee whose bloodwork came back positive. These four horses (and the rest of the barn) were in Ocala for two weeks just before the positive case was confirmed, and were stabled in the tent next to tent 7. They have not been on the Wellington showgrounds between Ocala and having positive tests.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post
    I find this much more disturbing than if it had come from Ocala...
    It makes one wonder if we are at two or three degrees of seperation.....and what isnt being said. You wont convince me that two different cases pop up, this close together and there is no connection!!

Ptown, you can travel freely around Florida and elsewhere UNLESs you are at HITS. it will be interesting to see them contain the hundreds that were shipping in and out daily.
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

5 members found this post helpful.

They told everyone in trailers to leave today

1 members found this post helpful.

There was also a case in Qc, but I am sure no relation to HITS. Still it is strange..
    http://www.lapresse.ca/le-quotidien/...eillance.phpso
    Sorry if it was posted before.
    And cases in Utah..

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    You mean they turned people away and didn't let them on the show grounds? Or, they told people that were already ON the show grounds to leave?
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    Oh, I hope this isn't the way it sounds....
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

I saw somewhere that the grounds were on lock down at 2pm. It almost sounded like up until that point you could leave if you so chose. Which would be another dumb move but since we know there are a ton of horses that have already left and been exposed I guess it doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by laughATTACK View Post
    Just to let anyone wondering know -

There are four horses on a quarantined premises in Loxahatchee whose bloodwork came back positive. These four horses (and the rest of the barn) were in Ocala for two weeks just before the positive case was confirmed, and were stabled in the tent next to tent 7. They have not been on the Wellington showgrounds between Ocala and having positive tests.
    If you know this farm personally please let them know that we are thinking about them and hoping all their horses come through this ok.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

I would hope that the USEF will contact everyone who was in or out of HITS and make it known that they should not attend any shows until things are safe. I understand that they asked owners of horses at a recent NY show to refrain from showing for a couple of weeks.

Sorry for the dumb question, but is EHV-1 always fatal? Or does it depend on the type?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

1 members found this post helpful.

Does anybody else just think about all the money? So, you've paid a pile to be in FL, paying care for horses, stabling, feed, bedding... $$$ now, you might not show so you eliminate show fees, show loses money. Eliminate training fees, trainer loses money. You've paid for the hotel/condo/house... Just so much money...and add extra vet bills onto that too.

No, it is not always fatal.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Quote Originally Posted by equisusan View Post
    If you know this farm personally please let them know that we are thinking about them and hoping all their horses come through this ok.
    Thank you. All four of them actually seem to be feeling okay - basically normal besides spiking the fevers. Never would have known they were sick if their temps weren't being taken twice daily after news of the confirme case in Ocala. They are all receiving the best of supportive care, and will hopefully continue to stay on a good road.