The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jse View Post
    Either she misspoke or they heard her wrong. I have friends there who stay at a farm separate from the show grounds and they are not allowed to ship-in.
    Maybe they mean 'ship-in' as in 'ship in to show, then ship out', as opposed to 'ship in' like arrive on the property?

To clarify the Chronicle article http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ive-test-ocala ,

Kristen Vale did tell me that the HITS Ocala showgrounds was accepting incoming horses, but no horses are allowed to leave. So, if "ship-ins" refers to horses that are coming to the grounds to show for the day and leave, they are not allowed. Horses are allowed to enter the grounds and be subject to quarantine restrictions.

There's also more information on the Chronicle's story about EHV in Wellington... http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ed-ehv-1-scare

5 members found this post helpful.

Just curious--do you think this will affect other shows far from HITS? Should people in the NE be hesitant to go to some of the smaller local rateds? I would imaging there is minimal danger, but since apparently many horses left HITS after the initial diagnosis, I guess there is a chance that some of those horses could be in the NE and showing up at some shows up here. Would that stop you from showing for awhile, even if the risk was quite slim?

Wasn't there already a scare up north last month following a horse that showed at Gardnertown that turned out to be sick? Or maybe it had come from a barn with a sick horse? Followed by a farm in New Jersey being placed under quarantine? Something like that.

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but what exactly is "wild type"?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Wasn't there already a scare up north last month following a horse that showed at Gardnertown that turned out to be sick? Or maybe it had come from a barn with a sick horse? Followed by a farm in New Jersey being placed under quarantine? Something like that.
    Yes, there was. http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...out-new-jersey

There were 2 barns quarantined in NJ last month, and 2 more quarantined in another part of NJ now, but I didn't hear anything about any of those quarantines being related to any shows in the area. Not saying they aren't related, just that I hadn't heard anything about that. I don't think either of the barns that are now quarantined are show barns, not sure about the first 2 though.

Newest info here.

More barns affected http://www.freshfromflorida.com/ai/p...siteUpdate.pdf

Quarantined Farms/Premises**  HITS Showgrounds, Ocala – Entire facility  Up Country Farm/Synergy Farm, Ocala  Montera Farm, Ocala  Flutterby Farm, Ocala  Foxwood Farms, Pinellas Park  Black Forest Farm, St. Augustine  Littlewood Farm, Wellington  Brookmore Farm, Oviedo  Kings Ridge Farm, Reddick New Quarantined Premises: • FEI Tent at Wellington Showgrounds • Tequestrian Farm, Wellington • Redfield Farm, Ocala • Miles Away Farm, Loxahatchee **The quarantines listed above do not necessarily encompass the entire premises.

So what do they do to track down all of the horses that were showing on HITS show grounds that stabled locally. Are they still free to travel as long as they are not on the list of quarantined farms????? This is going to be a nightmare!

4 members found this post helpful.

So I wonder if there's a strain of it making the rounds this winter in the northeast and now in Florida as horses move between shows. It seems like you don't really hear of many cases for years, and then you have a bad stretch where they pop up all of a sudden. Like this.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mandarin3 View Post
    Just curious--do you think this will affect other shows far from HITS? Should people in the NE be hesitant to go to some of the smaller local rateds? I would imaging there is minimal danger, but since apparently many horses left HITS after the initial diagnosis, I guess there is a chance that some of those horses could be in the NE and showing up at some shows up here. Would that stop you from showing for awhile, even if the risk was quite slim?
    Personally, I would hold off for a bit, even in the NE. I am sure many barns shipped out Sunday and it's too early (IMO) to say if those horses were impacted. I guess I'd say if two weeks from now, with Ocala still quarantined and those who got out "last minute" showing no signs of having it, I might be willing to go show again. Maybe I'm overly cautious, though.

2 members found this post helpful.

I personally wouldn't have allowed my horse near the show grounds once the first one hit. And I would have a lawyer getting my money back because my horses health is more important than showing. Every time a new case came up here in va the worry started again. A lot of our big shows around here cancelled as well as the small shows and peoplere very careful about even trail riding. This can go on for a while and every new case that pops up *should* push the on grounds quarantine out again if they were to be handling it properly

Even though I'm FAR from Ocala and Wellington, I still wouldn't bring my horse to a show for a while. The amount of horses from this area who ship to Florida and California for the winter is enough to give me pause. No need to put my horse at risk for a ribbon. There will always be more horse shows
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Does anyone else appreciate the irony of the "freshfromflorida" website name?

7 members found this post helpful.

"With evidence of more widespread exposure, all of the horses at the HITS showgrounds have been placed under quarantine. The Division of Animal Industry is continuing their disease investigation and developing protocols for surveillance and quarantine release measures"

Wow. Epidemiologist here and this is making the FL dept. of agriculture look awful. You are supposed to have the protocols "developed" and in place BEFORE the outbreak starts. Doesn't really work when done the other way around.

7 members found this post helpful.

Going to ask again since my question got buried: where did you see which tents in Ocala were under quarantine (before the show-qide quarantine, of course)?? Earlier on this thread, someone said tents 6, 7 and 3 were on lockdown and it was info contained in a press release. Could someone post that press release, or point me to it?

Quote Originally Posted by APirateLooksAtForty View Post
    Going to ask again since my question got buried: where did you see which tents in Ocala were under quarantine (before the show-qide quarantine, of course)?? Earlier on this thread, someone said tents 6, 7 and 3 were on lockdown and it was info contained in a press release. Could someone post that press release, or point me to it?
    http://www.thehorse.com/articles/314...irmed-positive

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    Perhaps this is a dumb question, but what exactly is "wild type"?
    http://hitsshows.com/press/2013/fl_ehv_update2.htm See bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    Even though I'm FAR from Ocala and Wellington, I still wouldn't bring my horse to a show for a while. The amount of horses from this area who ship to Florida and California for the winter is enough to give me pause. No need to put my horse at risk for a ribbon. There will always be more horse shows
    Good choice! But we may not be as far away as we wish with the cases and quarantines in place in Utah. Though the Cache Valley isn't exactly known for h/j or dressage...
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique