The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    Does this narrow it down ?

"The New Jersey Department of Agriculture has quarantined two farms, one in Franklinville, Gloucester County and one in Dennisville, Cape May County, after horses at each farm were exposed to a horse that developed the highly infectious equine herpes myeloencephalopathy (EHM)."

http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/a...rm+quarantined 2/23/13
    I used to board in Gloucester County and I still board in a different part of NJ and that doesn't really help me narrow down. There are a fair number of barns there. I don't really understand the secrecy once a case has been CONFIRMED. It's not like that barn can come/go at that point and no one's blaming them for not knowing their horses had it when they were FIRST... so why keep it secret?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I used to board in Gloucester County and I still board in a different part of NJ and that doesn't really help me narrow down. There are a fair number of barns there. I don't really understand the secrecy once a case has been CONFIRMED. It's not like that barn can come/go at that point and no one's blaming them for not knowing their horses had it when they were FIRST... so why keep it secret?
    I'm with you in thought that it should be public knowledge! However, I'm thinking there are SOME people out there that might get angry and not think about the fact that it's not their fault and may seek retaliation....would be stupid, I know but there are some crazies out there! That's for sure!!

I need to know if I'm crazy for bringing my horse back? People over in the Off Course forum are telling me I am....but I can only trust the vets and the barn she is with, ya know? They all left today and said TONS of people were leaving as well (as I've stated before, she was stabled off the show site! About 15 mins away).... She has and will be monitored extremely close when she gets home but they were all given the OK to leave and I just feel like we have to trust that....
    I don't consider this an "outbreak" like the people over there on Off Course are saying...an outbreak would consist of way more than just one case. It's ONE case and so far everything else has tested negative and I'm praying that it stays that way!

Does anyone know which farm in St. Augustine, FL is quarantined ? Feel free to PM. TIA.

http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/news/u...for-ehv-1.aspx
    Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
    Website
    and Facebook page
    Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
    Website and Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by jse View Post
    I'm with you in thought that it should be public knowledge! However, I'm thinking there are SOME people out there that might get angry and not think about the fact that it's not their fault and may seek retaliation....would be stupid, I know but there are some crazies out there! That's for sure!!

I need to know if I'm crazy for bringing my horse back? People over in the Off Course forum are telling me I am....but I can only trust the vets and the barn she is with, ya know? They all left today and said TONS of people were leaving as well (as I've stated before, she was stabled off the show site! About 15 mins away).... She has and will be monitored extremely close when she gets home but they were all given the OK to leave and I just feel like we have to trust that....
    I don't consider this an "outbreak" like the people over there on Off Course are saying...an outbreak would consist of way more than just one case. It's ONE case and so far everything else has tested negative and I'm praying that it stays that way!
    It may not be an outbreak right now, but the way they are handling it is setting it up to be a multi state outbreak. Your horses may be going home and being monitored there. How many of these horses are heading to another show and/or another show after that? That's the part that doesn't make any sense with what they are doing. It's a 21 day incubation period so just because they are fine now doesn't mean that in 3 weeks at another show another horse doesn't come down and expose a whole new barn and show full of horses. Any of the horses that go on the show grounds with a sick horse have the potential of catching it, it takes just one person not following bio methods and touching your horse, their horse, someone else's horse and then your horse and your friend's horse touch noses while you are waiting for your next class, now that horse has been exposed, etc.

7 members found this post helpful.

I agree with you....however, my horse isn't going anywhere for a long while! But not everyone is smart about that, so I totally understand where you are coming from. It is very scary and I will be worried until time passes and she does not get sick!

Quote Originally Posted by sfstable View Post
    Does anyone know which farm in St. Augustine, FL is quarantined ? Feel free to PM. TIA.

http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/news/u...for-ehv-1.aspx
    Would appreciate also knowing the same pm if needed.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Honestly? If I were a boarder at your "home" barn and you brought horses home right now that were showing at HITS or in contact with horses showing at HITS, I would be extremely pissed off at you. EXTREMELY.

If you are bringing them home to your home farm and plan to quaratine them there, that's different. But to bring them in to a boarding facility is really wrong, in my opinion.

16 members found this post helpful.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

... not to mention that I believe stress (i.e., travel) is though to be part of the cause for triggering EHV-1 to mutate to the neurological form. So you might not be doing your own horses a favor as well. That said, I can understand wanting to get your horses into an environment where you can control access and conduct a proper quarantine environment.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

2 members found this post helpful.

Default Link

Please refer to the following link for information/updates at the bottom of the page:
    http://largeanimal.vethospitals.ufl.edu/
    Classical Horsemanship

Quote Originally Posted by UST View Post
    Please refer to the following link for information/updates at the bottom of the page:
    while an update from UF on that particular horse is nice ,and I'm glad to see he is improving, perhaps a link to information from the state vet about the entire situation would be useful:

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

My horse is kept at a private facility, not even close to a boarding facility (she does not stay where she is trained, so the barn she was with in Ocala went to their farm and she went to hers).
    Totally would understand being pissed off it it were a boarding facility and I would make the correct decision if I had been in the position as a boarder.

The link that was posted above from UF has a lot of really informative information about this actual strain of disease. Finally something that actually answers questions about the disease that some may have and it tells us exactly what strain this horse has. Sadly I have not seen anything like this being posted and made public by HITS so I still have a very bad taste in my mouth when it comes to them. They could have released this information sooner than later instead of create a bunch of hysteria.....

Quote Originally Posted by UST View Post
    Thank you for this link. The information they provide (there is a ton more than just an update on the horse) is very educational.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Thank you for this link. The information they provide (there is a ton more than just an update on the horse) is very educational.
    I also appreciated this info. The timing doesn't work for me, but I really wish I could link in to their seminar.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Ok, since there are almost 10 pages of responses and dialogue to this, I haven't read them all but here's the scoop from Welly World along with my apologies if these points have already been hit:

1 horse suspected and tested at PBIEC - test came back negative
    Increased biosecurity protocols still in place
    No Ship-In Order still in place for horses from HITS
    All horses must have a health certificate within 48 hours of arriving to PBIEC
    All horses arriving to PBIEC must arrive during daylight hours

ALSO - found out last night that the YHS show for this weekend has been cancelled: http://www.younghorseshow.com/wef-i--wef-ii.html
    Last edited by ybiaw; Feb. 26, 2013 at 09:28 AM.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Just FYI most of the Differrent Vet School sites list the EHV incubation as only 3-10 days, and occasionally 14 days. And several different local vets in my area say for most its closer to the 3 days after exposure. The 21 days everyone keeps mentioning is the virus shedding time frame for actual horse diagnosed with EHV. Just wanted to put it out there since infected horse left HITS show grounds for hospital on Thursday afternoon/evening Feb 21 and there are still no new cases so we are quickly getting past the incubation timeframe, which is very positive. I agree this was all handled poorly but I am trying to think positive that we may get through this without an expanded outbreak.

My horse is kept at a private facility, not even close to a boarding facility (she does not stay where she is trained, so the barn she was with in Ocala went to their farm and she went to hers).
    Totally would understand being pissed off it it were a boarding facility and I would make the correct decision if I had been in the position as a boarder.

The link that was posted above from UF has a lot of really informative information about this actual strain of disease. Finally something that actually answers questions about the disease that some may have and it tells us exactly what strain this horse has. Sadly I have not seen anything like this being posted and made public by HITS so I still have a very bad taste in my mouth when it comes to them. They could have released this information sooner than later instead of create a bunch of hysteria.....
    In your situation, then, I have no problem with you bringing your own horses to your own home (or other totally private arrangement). If the only other horses you risk are your own, then I've got no problem with that at all.

I do feel bad for the other boarders at your trainer's farm, though. One pretty legitmate reason some people choose not to show at large venues like HITS or even choose not to show at all is that they don't want their horses exposed to all of the stuff that can go around at places like that. It's unfortunate when others go there and bring disease home with them. But I suppose that is the risk the "home" boarders take by boarding in a facility with other horses that travel a lot.

State of Florida has updated their website with the names of the farms under quarantine. Please go to www.freshfromflorida.com. It's under the "see more" section of the Ocala horse with EHV1.

WEF Press Release this morning states that FEI Stabling is closed til further notice due to a positive EHV1 blood test on a horse in the Village. See their press release for details. Some classes are cancelled for today.

3 members found this post helpful.

Gee, I just didn't see any of that coming. Oh wait, yes I did.

5 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Sounds like you are handling this situation in the best way you can, jse. I feel sorry for those many horse owners who have their horses at HITS and keep their horses at boarding stables when at home. What are they supposed to do in this situation? Do we know what HITS is charging for all the horses unable to leave due to quarantine?

Not that I'll be doing A H/J shows anytime soon, but this definitely puts a bad taste in my mouth regarding HITS.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey