The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

What a mess.

How can HITS not see/understand the long term repercussions of this?

As in, sure, keep the show going as usual now and make a few extra $$$. But I am sure many people will no longer support HITS in the future because of its lack of communication to spectators and exhibitors regarding this outbreak, which equals so much more lost revenue long term.

As my SO's 16-year-old brother likes to say on FB: smh

Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

1 members found this post helpful.

Tent 7 has a trailer in it right now. Maybe they are moving equipment? This all makes me so nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemyboy View Post
    Tent 7 has a trailer in it right now. Maybe they are moving equipment? This all makes me so nervous.
    What kind of trailer? Are there horses still in Tent 7? If so how many?

Quote Originally Posted by lovemyboy View Post
    I spoke with someone who is at the show this morning and they told me that they went by Tent 7 multiple times yesterday and saw horses and people walking in and out of the quarantine barriers. I really hope no other horses get sick...

Quote Originally Posted by SMNG View Post
    I spoke with someone who is at the show this morning and they told me that they went by Tent 7 multiple times yesterday and saw horses and people walking in and out of the quarantine barriers. I really hope no other horses get sick...
    This makes me so angry. How disrespectful to everyone else and their animals... There has to be something else going on that we don't know about

2 members found this post helpful.

PSJ in Aiken will not accept any horses from Ocala either.
    From their FB page:

"Effective immediately, no horses will be allowed to ship into the Highfields Event Center property without a current health certificate. Certificates must have been done within 7 days prior to arrival. In addition and until further notice, we will not allow any horses onto the property arriving from Ocala, Florida that were on the Post Time Show Grounds after February 17th, 2013."
    Fan of Sea Accounts

6 members found this post helpful.

Can anyone confirm that an aisle at WEF is under quarantine?
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Default www.freshfromflorida.com

This website from the Florida Department of Agriculture has some of the latest official info. Look under Animal Industry, Ocala Hits EHV
    Additional barns quarantined in Florida
    Barn 7 at HITS
    2 additional farms in Ocala
    Farm in Wellington
    Farm in Pinellas Park
    Farm in St Augustine
    Index Farm

Quote Originally Posted by seahorse View Post
    This website from the Florida Department of Agriculture has some of the latest official info. Look under Animal Industry, Ocala Hits EHV
    Barn 7 at HITS
    Farm in Wellington
    Farm in Pinellas Park
    Farm in St Augustine
    Index Farm
    Does anyone know any specifics about the farm in Wellington - is it the aisle of the one horse which arrived last week from Ocala, or is it a different barn with EHV symptoms?

I haven't read all the replies, but there was a sign at the WEF gate this morning regarding a requirement for fresh health certificates for horses shipping in, and I heard they will also be required for horses being ridden in from the surrounding farms.

Florida EHV-1 Update, No New Cases Confirmed at HITS Ocala
    OCALA, FL (February 23, 2013) - A horse competing at HITS Ocala was referred to the University of Florida, College of Veterinary Medicine after showing clinical neurological signs on February 20th. The horse subsequently tested positive for the Equine Herpes Virus (EHV-1), wild-type strain. Currently, the horse is in stable condition and continues to be treated at the University of Florida. There are no additional confirmed cases at this time.

Within hours of the positive diagnosis, an informative meeting was held at HITS Ocala where trainers were encouraged to strengthen their bio-security measures. Diane Kitchen, DVM from the Department of Agriculture, several other veterinarians and Tom Struzzieri from HITS, took part in the meeting. Suggested precautions included taking all horses’ temperatures on a regular basis.

Since the infected horse was diagnosed at the hospital, the following has transpired specific to HITS Ocala:

Most importantly, the sick horse is stable and his condition has improved.
    Veterinarians at the horse show, under the watchful eye of Dr. Kitchen, have tested other horses that were either in direct contact with the infected horse, or who had a fever that was noticeably high. HITS is extremely happy to report that all tested samples have been reported negative.
    The horse show has quarantined all the horses that were stabled in Tent 7, where the originally infected horse was stabled.
    The horse show has continued and is in full swing. No restrictions on horses coming or going (except to and from the quarantined tent) are in place in any way.
    No restrictions on horses coming and going across Florida boarder are in place.
    As of today, there is a quarantined tent at both Ocala and Wellington. Good bio-security measures are in place and are being strictly enforced in Ocala, and will continue through the three remaining weeks of shows.
    The Division of Animal Industry has begun a disease investigation, which includes the HITS show grounds in Ocala, the local index farm and multiple premises that have horses that may have been exposed to the positive horse. Currently, there are seven state quarantines in place. These quarantines include the index farm, Tent 7 at HITS and five additional premises in Florida; two farms in the Ocala area, one in Pinellas Park, one in St. Augustine and one in Wellington. At this point in the investigation there are no known exposed horses in other states.

Additional movement requirements or restrictions have not been imposed by Florida or any other states at this time. Horse owners and trainers are advised to contact the venue of destination for any additional requirements prior to travel.

The entire equine community should practice prudent bio-security and report any suspected cases of EHV-1. For reporting, call 850-410-0900 Monday through Friday 8:00am-5:00pm and 1-800-342-5869 after hours and weekends.

The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services with continue to work with HITS management, trainers and veterinarians to ensure proper safeguards are taken to prevent further spread of the disease.

Frequent informational updates will be provided, so please continue to visit this Website regularly.

Additional Resources:

More information on the Equine Herpes Virus (EHV-1) can be found at the following Websites:

American Association of Equine Practitioners
    Gluck Equine Research Center, University of Kentucky
    University of Florida, College of Veterinary Medicine
    Bio-security information, to help reduce the risk of spread contagious and infectious diseases can be found at the following Websites:

American Association of Equine Practitioners
    United States Department of Agriculture
    Source: HITS Media and Edited Release.

Yeah, I give a LOT of credibility to a report that misstates "borders" as "boarders". titan, who issued this update?

5 members found this post helpful.

Press Release from HITS, just posting here for everyone else as I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by seahorse View Post

Barn 7 at HITS
    Farm in Wellington
    Farm in Pinellas Park
    Farm in St Augustine
    Index Farm
    What would cause the quarantine placement on the farms? Did they come in contact with the ill horse, are they back at their farm and are running a fever, etc?

Clueless, and just wondering what the reasons might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    What would cause the quarantine placement on the farms? Did they come in contact with the ill horse, are they back at their farm and are running a fever, etc?

Clueless, and just wondering what the reasons might be.
    My understanding is that they were quarantined due to contact with the infected horse. Better to be safe.

WEF has 2 aisles of one tent under quarantine due to a horse that shipped from Ocala earlier in the week.

My understanding is that this was done solely by the show and not the state and is therefore not included in the list of quarantined places.

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't know if this has been posted but is very clear.....

http://hitsshows.com/press/2013/fl_ehv_update.htm
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

I just left Ocala at midnight last night due to this. The confirmed horse WAS on the show grounds in tent 7.Not a racehorse. He is the only confirmed case as of now and he has gone to Univ of Fla. Tent 7 at HITS is quarantined, along with 5 other barns in Ocala area, and one in Wellington.
    Forget getting info from show mgmt. They are not talking. Check Fl Dept of Agriculture.

4 members found this post helpful.

Not a race horse. Confirmed horse was in tent 7 at HITS. 5 other barns in Ocala area are quarantined, along with one barn in Wellington. We left HITS last night, along with many others.

This is accurate. I was there.

No. We got a lot of info from the Ag inspector on I 75 as we came back into Ga about 1 AM this morning. They are carefully inspecting horses and health certs.