The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    What about horses from out of state that just shipped in this week with a current health cert? Can they go home, or are they required to have a new HC because of the situation?

http://eventingnation.com/home/flori...ref_map=%5B%5D
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

If anyone is curious about HITS' response to EHV last year at Thermal, you may want to read this: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-Thermal-EHV-1
    The Evil Chem Prof

1 members found this post helpful.

HITS won't be doing a thing as long as they can possibly keep the show going and the $$ coming in. If a quarantine is still in place at the end of the circuit, I would expect to see HITS charging a high stall fee for those who cannot leave to go home. Last year at Thermal, they were careful to suppress the information about the outbreak until everyone left for home. My horse was down there last year and was exposed. He didn't get it, but another trainer in the same facility brought it back to the barn with her horses. One horse died (in training with a dressage trainer stabled near a sick horse) and the virus spread through the barn. We gave all our horses antivirals, had a self-imposed quarantine (on our horses, the other trainer took hers to shows) and biohazard procedures in effect. There's not much you can do if another trainer refuses to test their sick horses and denies that there is any problem. And it really takes the cake when they move the sick ones over to your side of the barn to protect the rest of theirs, infecting yours. BO refused to do anything until it had spread, and then charged extra $$ for the stall guys to use separate poop forks and properly clean water buckets. All of this went on for months. Do not let any horses back into your barn unless they're 21 days clear.

4 members found this post helpful.

According to Ocala.com:

"Despite the positive test, the Florida Department of Agriculture decided to allow the competition, which runs through March 17, to continue and did not restrict horses from entering or exiting the facility.

It did issue a quarantine on the tent stable where the affected horse was housed. About 50 other horses in the tent will be kept in the stable area for at least 21 days."

My small animal vet is currently at HITS. Apparently she wasn't in that tent because I see results of her showing.

2 members found this post helpful.

Wonder what happened to all the horses in tent 7
    They don't seem to in there
    What about the other tents that are only several feet away?

Once again, I love how on their FB page someone gave them "what-for" and they respond by saying, "We've been responding to threads" and then reiterated their original post there.....
    What do they not get? Do they not see that people are upset that they can't just come out and say on their websites that they have a problem going on? Even on their "Press" link there is absolutely NO activity and there should be! There should be a red-lettered message at the top of their page. Gahhh....thinking I won't be giving my money to HITS again after this. Sadly I live in VA and they are one of the only bigger shows that is in town...Oh well...not worth it to me anymore! My horses health is my #1 concern and it's obviously NOT theirs.

7 members found this post helpful.

My horse is stabled within 50-100 feet from Tent 7. Trying to obtain as much knowledge and being as proactive as possible. The LACK of information AND guidance/education available from the HITS staff & on showgrounds thus far, is absolutely disgusting.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemyboy View Post
    My horse is stabled within 50-100 feet from Tent 7. Trying to obtain as much knowledge and being as proactive as possible. The LACK of information AND guidance/education available from the HITS staff & on showgrounds thus far, is absolutely disgusting.
    I'm with ya. Incredibly disgusting. And it's not like we can go down there and rescue our horses and come home...they are stuck. And for an indeterminate amount of time.

Default Anyone have access to Phelps Sports?

Anyone have access to the Phelps Sports site? Someone on Diva said there's an article on Phelps that says there is a quarantined horse at WEF that came from Ocala with suspicious symptoms and that barn 17 is quarantined. PLEASE NOTE: I am not saying barn 17 is quarantined. I am saying that someone said Phelps said barn 17 is quarantined. This is whisper down the lane which I hate so someone who has access to Phelps please read the article and report back. I will delete this post if it is inaccurate.

Supershorty kindly read the Phelps article and reports that they say that only 2 aisles in barn 17 have been quarantined as a precautionary measure.
    Last edited by skyy; Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: update from Supershorty

3 members found this post helpful.

I just shared the COTH story on my FB page. I have friends down there and I don't want anybody else going through the Hell that I went through two years ago.
    \"In all manners of opinion, our adversaries are insane.\" Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    I just shared the COTH story on my FB page. I have friends down there and I don't want anybody else going through the Hell that I went through two years ago.
    Squirt - were you at Thermal? What happened? I want to know if this is typical of HITS when it comes to situations like this....

Quote Originally Posted by skyy View Post
    Anyone have access to the Phelps Sports site? Someone on Diva said there's an article on Phelps that says there is a quarantined horse at WEF that came from Ocala with suspicious symptoms and that barn 17 is quarantined. PLEASE NOTE: I am not saying barn 17 is quarantined. I am saying that someone said Phelps said barn 17 is quarantined. This is whisper down the lane which I hate so someone who has access to Phelps please read the article and report back. I will delete this post if it is inaccurate.
    It says 2 aisles in tent 17 have been quarantined but only for precautionary measures.

Thanks Supershorty.

A "subscription access only" quarantine. How sensible.

4 members found this post helpful.

Was just informed that they are issuing health certs.
    Husband is leaving shortly to get horses....
    Not sure what this is all about but just wanted to update everyone.

Here is the info on the health certificates.
    http://eventingnation.com/home/flori...in-or-out.html
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

HITS just updated their Facebook

"HITS Ocala EHV update (as of 2/23/13):

1. There is only ONE infected horse. It is doing well and responding to treatment. It has been at the University of Florida - Gainesville for several days.

2. To squelch any rumors – NO HORSES HAVE DIED.

3. There have been NO other positive tests.

4. State borders are open.

5. The tent where the horse was stabled, Tent 7, is quarantined. Currently, the plan to lift the quarantine for some of the horses in Tent 7 may be as early as 10 days from now.

6. Regularly schedule classes will continue as usual.

7. There are no restrictions on the movement of horses on or off the property.

8. Check temperatures daily. If you have a high temp, call Dr. Barber right away. As of now, all reported temps have not been EHV-related."

Quote Originally Posted by jse View Post
    Squirt - were you at Thermal? What happened? I want to know if this is typical of HITS when it comes to situations like this....
    No, I had an older mare just come down with it out of no where. No horses had been on or off the property for three months, and the neighbor horses never go anywhere. We put her down the morning after she showed neurologic symptoms. Then the fun began of completely sanitizing everything in the barns, and taking the other 8 horses temperatures twice daily (2 of whom were still tiny babies) for 28 days. We had the option of temping for 21 days and then doing nasal swabs on all of the horses. But by that point in time thevet bills were already over $4000, so that was a no go. We ( my vet and I ) were probably being overly cautious but we decided that no matter what I wasn't to be around other horses for two weeks. So that meant that I couldn't go to work at my trainers and that I couldn't go ride my stallion who was at a seperate farm when we were supposed to leave for a huge show 3weeks to the day that the mare showed symptoms. All of which just SUCKED, not to mention the constantworry that I was going to lose the whole herd. I won't wish that on my worst enemy.
    \"In all manners of opinion, our adversaries are insane.\" Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by GucciJumper View Post
    HITS just updated their Facebook

"HITS Ocala EHV update (as of 2/23/13):

1. There is only ONE infected horse. It is doing well and responding to treatment. It has been at the University of Florida - Gainesville for several days.

2. To squelch any rumors – NO HORSES HAVE DIED.

3. There have been NO other positive tests.

4. State borders are open.

5. The tent where the horse was stabled, Tent 7, is quarantined. Currently, the plan to lift the quarantine for some of the horses in Tent 7 may be as early as 10 days from now.

6. Regularly schedule classes will continue as usual.

7. There are no restrictions on the movement of horses on or off the property.

8. Check temperatures daily. If you have a high temp, call Dr. Barber right away. As of now, all reported temps have not been EHV-related."

A friend posted a picture on her facebook of the information flyer that they handed out to the exhibitors at the show this morning. It is exactly like the one they posted on their facebook, but also has another bullet point saying:

"Yes, it is true that horses from Ocala may not go to WEF. Hey - That's the good news!"

Not really sure why they needed to put that in writing for all exhibitors to see (they didn't put that on their facebook update for everyone else to see). Glad to see they are taking this seriously, and it really isn't just about the $$$

Quote Originally Posted by buddys girl View Post
    Wonder what happened to all the horses in tent 7
    They don't seem to in there
    What about the other tents that are only several feet away?
    ????????????
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........