The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

I believe you can leave if you havent been on grounds. For now. I think theproblem arises that there are so MANY horses in and out of that show grounds. Eventers, people trying horses from all disciplines...it is mind boggling to think of ramifications of how this could spread. But I thin, for now, you can leave...but I wouldnt be shocked to hear that change if more cases pop up.
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Is anything known about the Index farm that is mentioned in the state press release (in addition to tent 7)?

I agree that the thought of the number of horses in the surrounding area that could potentially have been exposed from haul-ins/outs and visitors is just mind boggling.

surprised and disappointed that there has been nothing official from HITS regarding this. I don't see anything on the website, or the FB page. what's up with that? stay safe and smart!

3 members found this post helpful.

Didn't they say the horse came from a farm in NJ ?
    http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/...ounty_far.html
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Like someone else already said, this was a big issue in CA. I can't believe they haven't shut the place down. By allowing horses to come and go they are still opening it up to spread. And they also need to go back to where the horse was prior to this show and anytime within the past month or so and warn anyone that may have been at that show, barn, etc. Those horses have already been exposed. If I remember right ours started with a big reining competition or something and by the time the first case came about the horses had already headed out to different states for other shows, to go home, etc. It doesn't sound like this is being taken care of properly and I for sure wouldn't be taking my horse anywhere near there!

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_jumpfl View Post
    Is anything known about the Index farm that is mentioned in the state press release (in addition to tent 7)?
    Not sure if these two quarantined NJ barns are related to the HITS case, but this just came up on thehorse.com - one horse in NJ died:

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/314...virus-exposure

RateMyHorsePRO.com has a photo of the quarantined tent with the barricades around it, which isn't super informational but there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Star's Ascent View Post
    If I remember right ours started with a big reining competition or something and by the time the first case came about the horses had already headed out to different states for other shows, to go home, etc.
    I think you're right. It was in Ogden, UT, and spread when everyone went home.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

My barn is stabled in the quarantine tent. What a mess. jingles for ours and the rest of the horses in tent 7.
    Last edited by InjuredAlter; Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Spelling

9 members found this post helpful.

I picked up one of our horses from tent 7 on Sunday. This is the first we've heard of it. Kind of ridiculous... this is how this kind of thing spreads.

6 members found this post helpful.

I have been out of the show world for a while, but im scheduled to be taking some horses to Aiken next month, is there a worry of this already possibly jumping the boarder? I was in va when it hit a few years ago, if i recall correctly it was a (polo?) horse from FL that brought it up.
    Tempus Fugit Photography "Like" us on facebook!

What is an "index barn"? The press release says Tent 7 and an "index barn" were quarantined........
    I have friends there and was told the horse had a fever on Sunday.....then apparently got neurologic so they tested for EPM first....then EVH-1 and must have gotten the results late Thursday or EARLY today. I heard it from a braider at HITS (who must have heard it during the night)
    I was also told the horse is at UF and was not put down, which is a hot rumor....
    I'm so sorry for the folks in Barn 7 and hope everyone else is ok.....
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

My friend just texted and clarified that the horse she was told had died is in fact at UF. Soooo many rumors, HITS really needs to address this.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

UF had released a statement about the horse earlier today.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I'm glad the rumors of the horse's demise are greatly exaggerated.

I hope any other reports of deaths from this are similarly exaggerated and that everyone makes a good recovery. This has the potential to turn into an enormous cluster, and I really, really hope it doesn't.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Really disappointed with HITS' response... They probably have hundreds if not thousands of horses in and out of there this month, and with the signs taking up to 21 days to show up this could easily spread throughout the entire country as horses that appear to be healthy start showing signs.
    As inconvenient as it is to all in Ocala, the safest thing would obviously be to quarantine the show grounds for at least a few weeks. Or at least put something about it on their website... "business as usual" will keep the revenue coming, but at least a PSA of some sort about recommended procedures to protect your horses at the showgrounds, as well as blocking any incoming/outgoing horses for right now would be helpful.
    On the other hand, WEF, not even directly affected as of right now, has already sent out an email blast detailing increased security, blocking shipments from the area, and making recommendations for minimizing exposure. Despite the complicated conflicts going on within the Wellington circles it's nice to see them at least recognizing the issue and taking steps to prevent it.

9 members found this post helpful.

I am not a show manager but it sure doesn't sound ethical to keep going with this show.... and worse yet allowing horses IN and out of the facility!!!

This is so very sad.....
    Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood! ~ GM

3 members found this post helpful.

I believe HITS horses can not get a health cert at the moment , so they can't leave the state of FL

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    I believe HITS horses can not get a health cert at the moment , so they can't leave the state of FL
    Certainly does not stop them from wandering about the state though ..
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Certainly does not stop them from wandering about the state though ..
    What about the requirement Wellington has put out that all horses must have health certs within 48 hours of arrival? If they can't get health certs, then they can't move to the next (big) show in the state...
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post

What about horses from out of state that just shipped in this week with a current health cert? Can they go home, or are they required to have a new HC because of the situation?