The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default S.E. Beaches Suggestions

Looking for a beach area in say, VA, NC, or SC. Would prefer a more natural type setting, opposed to a highly commercial high traffic area. Being able to see horses ridden on the beach would be a huge bonus. I need to walk on the beach for health reasons. I'm wide open please help and send me suggestions. Thank you.

Well, you won't see any horses on these beaches -- but the beaches of Fort Walton, Destin and Panama City (FL) as well as Orange Beach and Gulf Shores (AL) are the BEST as far as just pure beauty - white sand, beautiful water. We stay on Highway 30 around Seagrove every year and love it! Lots of condo rentals.
    PennyG

1 members found this post helpful.

The far northern part of the Outer Banks of NC has feral horses and there is even a part of the beach that you have to have 4WD to access your house. There are several areas, all north of Duck, NC. Personally, DH and I love Hilton Head, especially during the fall, but that may be a bit more commercial than what you are looking for. There's also an island in GA that has feral horses and you actually have to haul in all of your own stuff if you want to stay overnight (camping only) but the name escapes me.
    Me: In a long-winded explanation of who GM is and why he is Important to the Sport
    Mr EmJ: So what you're saying is GM is so Important he could get Chik-Fil-A on Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by EmJ628 View Post
    There's also an island in GA that has feral horses and you actually have to haul in all of your own stuff if you want to stay overnight (camping only) but the name escapes me.
    Cumberland Island.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks so much for the ideas. I dont have to see horses, but I thought what the heck that would be cool. What I really need is some warmer, more humid air to walk in. I love to be outside, so outside walking is so much better than a treadmill, for me. My lungs need a break from this horrid winter. Once again thanks I didnt even know where to start looking.

Chilling on an empty beach this time of year, anywhere on the FL panhandle would be thrilled to see you.

Truly want old Florida? Check out Cedar Key.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I <3 Shackleford Island off the coast of Morehead City, NC. Morehead City is pretty commercial & you cant stay on Shackleford but it is BEAUTIFUL and has wild horses.

Corolla, NC is also beautiful & has horses but may be too commercial.

I would not completely rule out "commercial" beaches though. At this time of year they are fairly empty & you can find good deals for housing. I was walking along Carolina beach today and didn't pass anyone in my 20 minute walk. I regularly walk along Wrightsville Beach and even though plenty of people live there year round it doesn't have a resorty feel at all - I actually enjoy watching the winter beach sights - surfing, people playing catch w/ their dogs, shell hunting, etc.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Ditto what Event said - the northern outer banks or the Beaufort/Morehead City/Atlantic Beach areas are the only places where you might have access to wild horse populations. Beaufort doesn't have a beach (it's on the intracoastal waterway) but is just over the bridge from Atlantic Beach. Same goes for Morehead City. Both have quaint little waterfront downtown areas.

Minus the horses, you might try Topsail Island or Oak Island. Plenty of rental houses/cottages and not overly crowded although fairly secluded in terms of stores, restaurants, etc.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

I say Hilton Head 100%. I might be biased though (it's my hometown)

Hilton Head is super quiet between September and May. It's only crazy in the summer and during the PGA tourney in April. Average high in Feb/March is somewhere between 60 and 80, but the ocean is still cold. The island is big on preserving the natural beauty so it's not as commercial as you might think. There is a barn (that I used to work at) who does trail rides through a forest preserve. It's not on the beach but still pretty
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Bald Head Island, NC. It is absolutely beautiful. It is also a wildlife preserve. Watch out for Carolina Yard Dogs!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Respectfully disagree with Gulf Shores, AL. It's littered with off shore rigs. The beach has been ruined.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by SkipHiLad4me View Post
    Ditto what Event said - the northern outer banks or the Beaufort/Morehead City/Atlantic Beach areas are the only places where you might have access to wild horse populations. Beaufort doesn't have a beach (it's on the intracoastal waterway) but is just over the bridge from Atlantic Beach. Same goes for Morehead City. Both have quaint little waterfront downtown areas.

Minus the horses, you might try Topsail Island or Oak Island. Plenty of rental houses/cottages and not overly crowded although fairly secluded in terms of stores, restaurants, etc.
    It is possible to trail ride on Topsail Island. Feel free to PM me for details.

The only other place to guarantee wild horse sightings on the east coast is Assateague Island in VA. You can't live there as far as I know, but stay on Chincoteague & you can easily get out there.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

No horses there, but look at Portsmouth Island, N.C. if you want one to yourself. Probably the only beach with really dark night skies. Not "more natural". All natural.

I just can't thankyou all enough for all your suggestions. Now I am kinda getting excited about going instead of being bummed about my health. You all are great!

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Looking for a beach area in say, VA, NC, or SC. Would prefer a more natural type setting, opposed to a highly commercial high traffic area. Being able to see horses ridden on the beach would be a huge bonus. I need to walk on the beach for health reasons. I'm wide open please help and send me suggestions. Thank you.
    Myrtle Beach. They allow horses on the beach from November - March.

My parents live in the area - their favorite beach to go to is Huntington Beach State Park - it's pretty quiet, nature-y, etc. But the horses are a little further north at Myrtle Beach State Park.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

hmm, is there an rv camground on the beach somewhere near there too?
    gowd i'd LOVE to have my mare with me for a winter of rving and riding on the beach!

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Respectfully disagree with Gulf Shores, AL. It's littered with off shore rigs. The beach has been ruined.
    ah, well, we don't want to walk everywhere....but I am sure it's the same view all over the gulf coast.

but it's not bad, really...kind of like the skyline of Manhatten at night

I have to second and third the Gulfcoast. the beaches are incredibly white!

My favorite is Dauphin Island though. No horses, but Dolphins...and rays, and swarms of fish. in spring and fall it's a sleepy little community.

if you need a bit more warms, of course there is Florida....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

OP there are some awesome deals this time of year. DH and I got a very nice 2bd 2 bth condo 5 minutes walk from the beach in Hilton Head for $99/night, on the golf course. Its great in the off season and if you are a dog owner a lot of places allow you to bring dogs on to their patio seating areas. we took our Lab with us just about everywhere we went. Hope your trip cheers you up and helps you feel better!

Even more ideas, yay. This year I am going to just go somewhere I can get to with in a days travel. I am only going to be able to get away for about 5 days. I have heard, dont know if its true, that the ocean air has healing properties. DH is staying home to take care of everyone, so it will be a petless journey.
    Next year I think I want to go somewhere for January and Febuary. The cold North is getting to be just too much for my lungs. Just can't take the cold air. DH is not happy about me thinking about it, but I gotta do something.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Even more ideas, yay. This year I am going to just go somewhere I can get to with in a days travel. I am only going to be able to get away for about 5 days. I have heard, dont know if its true, that the ocean air has healing properties. DH is staying home to take care of everyone, so it will be a petless journey.
    Next year I think I want to go somewhere for January and Febuary. The cold North is getting to be just too much for my lungs. Just can't take the cold air. DH is not happy about me thinking about it, but I gotta do something.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!!
    the salt in the air is supposed to ease some respiratory ailments
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.