The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    Here, it has been winter since mid-October. Moving snow is almost a full-time job for any farmer this year and we got another dump of the whiteshit Sunday and Monday and loads of delightful breezes to blow the crap into ever deepening drifts.

Today, the temp was a balmy 0°F with a lovely, SE breeze bringing the temp to -40 and today was the warmest since this mess set in. I have a drift by the old grain bins that looks to be around 14' high from snow blowing over the roof, I have to dig a path to the barn and the road again, and I know the cuts will blow back shut within less than 24 hours.

I cannot open the sliding door to let the horse out because it is drifted in and iced over, not that it matters because the snow is 3' deep on the level and up over the fences again. He doesn't like snow up to his belly for some odd reason, and would just stand at the door and look pathetic. At least he still has the better part of two round bales left.

I haven't been off the yard for three weeks except to get more fuel for the tractor - they don't deliver to most people now because the yards are too full of snow so we all have to drive our tractors to town for fuel. The fuel guy hasn't time to deliver tractor fuel anyways, he is too busy hauling furnace fuel.

The Sask Water guys released a statement the other day that we are probably going to flood again, so look out those on the Mississippi - if.... er when all the snow here in the northern plains melts and roars down the Missouri, you guys are in trouble. Saw pics of a smaller centre in ND on the weather channel today, and I guess I can't bitch about the storm on Monday, they got it worse.

Most of us old 'guys' are predicting a late spring, and a very wet one and most likely another cold, dreary summer.

At least they say we will return to 'normal' temps by tomorrow so that means, after so much cold, it's gonna feel like a heat wave. Pass the tanning lotion and my floppy summer hat
    Ok, you made me feel a bit better, thank you

I am also looking forward to temps getting close to 0C by the weekend. I will be outside in a t-shirt!!!
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Ugh! It hasn't even been that cold here this winter but it's been cloudy, dreary, and wet I'm over it and I've had all I can stand. I feel like a total wimp though after reading your posts about feet of snow I sometimes get symptoms similar to seasonal affective disorder in the winter time and this is the first year I've dealt with it in a long time. All I want to do is sit on the couch in my pajamas and sleep. Everything seems like a chore and I'm just down in the dumps! I need some daylight and some warm sunshine! In college, I actually started going to the tanning bed a lot in the winter which helped tremendously with my winter time energy level... but I'm old and wise enough now to be concerned about the health affects that might have on a pasty white blond hair blue eyed girl like myself Guess I'll just have to wait it out in my pajamas until spring can get here.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Woke up and it was snowing... uuuggg I am sooo tired of winter and it hasen't been that hard of a winter yet.

Now just "up the road" from me they got 4-6' last night alone. So glad I don't live there any more, but they know how to remove snow from road surfaces, where I live now not so much. But they sure know how put donw the salt.

I guess its not the snow as much as it is the cold temps. which seem colder this year than last year. I cant take them much as since may any thing below 70 is cold.. Geesh I sound like my grandmother.
    Friend of bar .ka

We got 30 inches yesterday and the local news this morning says my area will get another 20 inches today. So, plenty of winter left here in the Cold Hollow Mts of Vermont.

We missed, just some sleet and fog and cold, the snow, around 8", went right North of us.

Sounds like KS got a direct hit, hope all there are staying safe.

Seems to me that they have changed the colours and categories used on the snow maps so that the areas with really deep snow (over a foot) get short-changed but here is the snow cover map.

http://www.meteomedia.com/snow/index

Here in PA, it hasn't been a bad winter at all- but it sure does seem to be dragging! I'm ready for warm weather, shiny coats on the horses, happy chickens, and open windows!
    Kerri

Well, we are getting some wrap-around snow now, but probably will not end with much after all.

Horses are staying snug under the barn, nice and warm.
    It is 32F here, so even their water is staying open.

There is something strange here today - no wind and a very bright shiny thing in the sky. Temp is supposed to go up to almost civilised today and heat wave tomorrow.
    Sure glad to see that shiny thing, it has been absent mostly for months
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    There is something strange here today - no wind and a very bright shiny thing in the sky. Temp is supposed to go up to almost civilised today and heat wave tomorrow.
    Sure glad to see that shiny thing, it has been absent mostly for months
    You asked, COTH delivered.
    All those jingles that summer come to you worked!
    We did get the Earth tilted and closer to the sun for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    You asked, COTH delivered.
    All those jingles that summer come to you worked!
    We did get the Earth tilted and closer to the sun for you.
    Thanks!!! I just hope it stays around for a while - we've not had much sun since October, by my estimation, less than 5 hours a week, and I was beginning to feel that grey lumpy skies were normal. A few days of this will help bring everyone out of the funk that has been hanging around since November. I know I feel somewhat brighter and more energetic today. It's just too damned cold to get my ass in gear this morning but it's warming slowly.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

So can I just say that I HATE the weekend storm thing!? I think this is the 4th weekend in a row where it's going to be a nasty rain/snow mix. Then it warms up a tad by Monday, and Tuesday or Wednesday it starts melting, then Friday rolls around and we get more. AAHHHHHH! I want I see my washstall again!

I would also like it to dry up, so my mares frogs don't disintegrate and fall off...oh, and do I can ride. I've been spending waaaay too much time buying stuff I will only use if I'm riding, lol.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    This is just my whine. I'm so tired of winter. Got another 10 inches of snow yesterday and the temps are going back down to about -4f tonight, windchills in the -20f's. We are running out of places to put the snow and I can hardly shovel it to throw it any higher on the existing piles! Had to walk through waist-deep drifts to get to the barn after work last night. It's so depressing. Can someone just wake me up in May, when the snow is gone? There's no way it will be gone by April this year.
    My horse says winter is coming to an end. She is shedding like CRAZY.

Also the daffodils are up and blooming, my apple tree is leafing out.

Yes, winter is ending.

Now comes the heat.

Had a smart-alec comment about our weather, but decided NOT to post it and cause the wrath of the weather gods to descend on my head!
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

current temp 65°

High: 70°

Low: 36°

winter is hell around here

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    current temp 65°

High: 70°

Low: 36°

winter is hell around here
    Bragging?

We have been stuck on 32F all day, is now 27F and going down, will see where we end tonight, once it clears from this last wannabe snowstorm.

I feel sorry for those that did get this one, it seems a real dumper.

I never make bad comments about the weather anymore.
    Praying that nasty storm fizzles out for the folks in its path,
    Praying to the spring and sun gods!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Usually I spread their hay out in 10-12 piles all around the paddock so that they keep moving and have a bunch of places to walk, but these last couple of weeks I'm getting exhausted with slogging through the snow to spread the hay around. For three days now I have just been throwing it over the fence; I was too lazy to shovel the gate out.
    Good idea! My horse lives at my parents' farm and I feel guilty asking my dad to do anything extra - which at this point may involve dropping the hay in more than 1 pile lol. I will make a suggestion, though this weekend. Anything to keep fatty moving a bit more.

I have a fever of 101.8 and it won't go down. I put my kitty down on Wednesday and feel guilty. This has been one tough winter, others have been colder for longer, had more snow, but I've had it with weather. NY still hasn't recovered from Sandy. Pfhhhhttt winter, you been cruel this year.

I remember when I was a kid and I used to LOVE winter. We lived a block away from the outdoor ice skating rink. Spent all day there and until they closed at night. Then my 20's and we'd ride in a howling snow storm, passage in the drifts - ski in the mountains!

What happened now I'm such a whussy.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers