The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is winter ever going to end?

This is just my whine. I'm so tired of winter. Got another 10 inches of snow yesterday and the temps are going back down to about -4f tonight, windchills in the -20f's. We are running out of places to put the snow and I can hardly shovel it to throw it any higher on the existing piles! Had to walk through waist-deep drifts to get to the barn after work last night. It's so depressing. Can someone just wake me up in May, when the snow is gone? There's no way it will be gone by April this year.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

1 members found this post helpful.

Ha! I looked at wxedge.com today, which is the more detailed weather forecast for our area, and the local meterologist titled his article, "Connecticut gets bombed again?" Snow coming around for the weekend. At this point the town directly under the center of the dark blue oval predicting 12+ inches of heavy snow is mine. We've still got a few days. Maybe it will all slide off the track. Just in case, I went ahead and did the grocery shopping today instead of waiting.

I knew I was thinking of warm weather when I was reading through the thread about someone thinking about going on a Disney vacation and found myself cheering, "Go! Go!"
    Last edited by Chief2; Feb. 20, 2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: spelling
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Unless you live in the tropics, I think February 20 is still winter most other places in our hemisphere.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

The snow is really piling up this year, isn't it? The worst part is that it doesn't necessarily come in big dumps of 12"+, but a little bit here and there to make the driving suck on a daily basis.

Today is bitterly cold with strong winds I really need to get out and shovel before the temp drops off even more, but it's just so nice and cosy inside.

My poor ponies are also "snowed in". For the last few weeks they have pretty much just been living along the fence near the gate, and a path to their shelter. They don't think it's worth the work to walk through the really deep snow to get anywhere else!
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

I am so totally feeling yah. I am not feeling well at all due to the cold. So I have to go see the doc next week. (she cant get me in this week) After that I wanna go a little south for a mini vacay. I started my first thread about looking for suggestions, no replies yet. Hope winter at least lets up a little in the mean time. Geesh. And hugs to poor snowed in ponies.

I agree and we haven't gotten nearly that much snow! But I am tired of the wind, an the 16 layers of clothes. Thought about a mini vacay but work keeps getting in the way!
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Right there with ya, tired of it....

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    I am so totally feeling yah. I am not feeling well at all due to the cold. So I have to go see the doc next week. (she cant get me in this week) After that I wanna go a little south for a mini vacay. I started my first thread about looking for suggestions, no replies yet. Hope winter at least lets up a little in the mean time. Geesh. And hugs to poor snowed in ponies.
    I am on the fourth day of that bad cold myself and had to go to the Dr for a follow up visit from the last surgery.
    They told me they were short handed, half the staff had come to work, were so very sick, they got a shot and were sent home.
    The rest were just getting over the cold.

I wanted to ask them to give me that miracle shot, but really, other than the headache and stuffy head, I am not ready for one more shot quite yet.

I hope you get to feeling better, but they also told me that is a three week cold, so grin and bear it is all we can do.

Waiting on 6" of snow ourselves tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    My poor ponies are also "snowed in". For the last few weeks they have pretty much just been living along the fence near the gate, and a path to their shelter. They don't think it's worth the work to walk through the really deep snow to get anywhere else!
    My gelding is the same. He had maybe 2 little trails made in his paddock the other day when I went up to see him. I made a point of leading him around and making more trails to encourage him to walk a bit more. I don't think it helps that he's fed in his run-in. He probably doesn't see any need to go any where else

Bluey, hope you get to feeling better.

I forgot to mention I keep looking at the extended forcast, looking for something to look forward to, but nope looks like nothing but more cruddy weather.

Quote Originally Posted by glitterless View Post
    My gelding is the same. He had maybe 2 little trails made in his paddock the other day when I went up to see him. I made a point of leading him around and making more trails to encourage him to walk a bit more. I don't think it helps that he's fed in his run-in. He probably doesn't see any need to go any where else
    Usually I spread their hay out in 10-12 piles all around the paddock so that they keep moving and have a bunch of places to walk, but these last couple of weeks I'm getting exhausted with slogging through the snow to spread the hay around. For three days now I have just been throwing it over the fence; I was too lazy to shovel the gate out.
    Jigga:

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Waiting on 6" of snow ourselves tonight.
    Is that enough to cause total chaos in Texas? Seeing how poorly our "conditioned" winter drivers do here, I can just imagine what it's like for people who truly have no experience driving in it!
    Jigga:

Well, I was going to whine about my winter, but that made me feel a little better. I am so over it (and, really, winter IS almost over here in VA. Just ask my overachieving daffodils). So much mud. So done with horse blankets. So tired of layers. I want a sunburn, not windburn!

AND, I am sick...sick as a DOG, for the first time a couple of years. I was so sick and miserable today I went to urgent care. I never go to the doctor. So, now I'm sick in bed with some nasty upper respiratory thing, bored out of my mind, and it is still cold and muddy.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Is that enough to cause total chaos in Texas? Seeing how poorly our "conditioned" winter drivers do here, I can just imagine what it's like for people who truly have no experience driving in it!
    Any more, they just close I-40.
    If not, the sheriff spends all the time getting stranded people back to town hotels or shelters.

If it makes you feel better, in 2010, the year NoVA got slammed with the back-to-back Snowmageddon & Snoverkill storms in early February, exactly 60 days from the Snoverkill blizzard, it was 90*. We still had a few piles of snow, but it was HOT. I had to body clip my poor pony mare/woolly mammoth cross.

Give it another 6-8 weeks and you'll be much happier.

Daylight Savings starts on March 10!
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

We are supposed to get 8-15" of snow tonight into tomorrow night. Mixture of ice/snow/rain etc in some parts and really gusty winds. Ughhh. I drive 35 minutes to work so instead of driving on the highway in that crap I've gotten myself a hotel room for tonight and tomorrow night in the town I work in.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyinBey++ View Post
    If it makes you feel better, in 2010, the year NoVA got slammed with the back-to-back Snowmageddon & Snoverkill storms in early February, exactly 60 days from the Snoverkill blizzard, it was 90*. We still had a few piles of snow, but it was HOT. I had to body clip my poor pony mare/woolly mammoth cross.

Give it another 6-8 weeks and you'll be much happier.

Daylight Savings starts on March 10!
    Ah....exactly why I love VA!!!!

Here, it has been winter since mid-October. Moving snow is almost a full-time job for any farmer this year and we got another dump of the whiteshit Sunday and Monday and loads of delightful breezes to blow the crap into ever deepening drifts.

Today, the temp was a balmy 0°F with a lovely, SE breeze bringing the temp to -40 and today was the warmest since this mess set in. I have a drift by the old grain bins that looks to be around 14' high from snow blowing over the roof, I have to dig a path to the barn and the road again, and I know the cuts will blow back shut within less than 24 hours.

I cannot open the sliding door to let the horse out because it is drifted in and iced over, not that it matters because the snow is 3' deep on the level and up over the fences again. He doesn't like snow up to his belly for some odd reason, and would just stand at the door and look pathetic. At least he still has the better part of two round bales left.

I haven't been off the yard for three weeks except to get more fuel for the tractor - they don't deliver to most people now because the yards are too full of snow so we all have to drive our tractors to town for fuel. The fuel guy hasn't time to deliver tractor fuel anyways, he is too busy hauling furnace fuel.

The Sask Water guys released a statement the other day that we are probably going to flood again, so look out those on the Mississippi - if.... er when all the snow here in the northern plains melts and roars down the Missouri, you guys are in trouble. Saw pics of a smaller centre in ND on the weather channel today, and I guess I can't bitch about the storm on Monday, they got it worse.

Most of us old 'guys' are predicting a late spring, and a very wet one and most likely another cold, dreary summer.

At least they say we will return to 'normal' temps by tomorrow so that means, after so much cold, it's gonna feel like a heat wave. Pass the tanning lotion and my floppy summer hat
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles