The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

I don't get it. What do these people think is going to happen to these horses if they aren't doing their jobs?
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by VCT View Post
    I don't get it. What do these people think is going to happen to these horses if they aren't doing their jobs?
    endless green pastures where they can poop golden butterflies....

In reality they have no clue, nor do they care.

FWIW, the carriage association's retirement farm has had to deal with various cases of mischief, like letting the horses out etc...

I mean, you want the horses out of the city, on the farm, no longer working, why mess with the farm?!

Oh, never mind... it's that logic thing...works wonders should it ever happen to be applied...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by VCT View Post
    Both NYCLASS (in partnership with PETA, ASPCA, and HSUS) and CBHDC have introduced legislation (one at the local level, one at the state level), that would effectively seize our horses and "retire" them to be lawn ornaments the rest of their lives, at as-yet-unnamed "rescues", "sanctuaries", and private homes, all of which would sign documents pledging to keep them for the rest of their natural born days without "working" them.

WAR doesn't care where they go; they have said before that they would be better off dead.
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    endless green pastures where they can poop golden butterflies....

In reality they have no clue, nor do they care.

FWIW, the carriage association's retirement farm has had to deal with various cases of mischief, like letting the horses out etc...

I mean, you want the horses out of the city, on the farm, no longer working, why mess with the farm?!

Oh, never mind... it's that logic thing...works wonders should it ever happen to be applied...
    Yup....and Blue Star is also the target of much RARA maligning; they constantly disparage them in online forums, every chance they get, really.

Just yesterday Horse and Man did an article on them, and the folks at H&M contacted Blue Star to let them know they were getting hate mail and umbrage at the fact that they would support them with an article.

Check it out here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

and this is the Horse and Man article:

http://horseandman.com/bucket-fund-s...r-equiculture/

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    The radical animal rights folks will be coming after your pets next."
    I don't know why I bother to do this, I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, but I would like to point out that the sentence above does nothing to help your cause, it just turns off many people who might otherwise agree with you. In other words, the general population doesn't believe it and it reduces the impact of your message.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Poor horse gets a juicy apple and EVEN THAT gets ruined by the anti-carriage animal rights groups. Note two pages not just one with the poor "sick" being forced to work after puking horse.

Sure these guys should most certainly be in charge of what happens to the horses in NYC.

Read the comments on both. They so owe me a keyboard. Some days I wish I wasn't banned. ...

BTW Keep in mind one of the moderators of the CHC page IS A VETERINARIAN!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/CarriageHorseCruelty

"Sacha Rodriguezomg that looks like puke look at the splash"

"Carriage Horse CrueltyFor those of you who think that it is not vomit......check the splatter.... doesn't look like any apple I have ever seen."

She's right like no apples they've ever seen....because they have NEVER actually handled a horse ..let alone gotten close enough to feed one an apple.

Well I posted this:

I give my horses apples, they drool excessively they love the apples! Makes quite the nasty mess but they love it, then down they go to lick up the chomped up apple drool! Ick yea but they love it! BTW-- horses physically CANNOT throw up. Wish people would become more educated before they make comments, or post misleading photos.

Lets see how long before it's gone...
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    The radical animal rights folks will be coming after your pets next."
    This is so on target, JoZ, and very important to bring up, as many people don't make that connection until they are shown.

It won't happen today, or tomorrow - but exposing the agenda so that people can see the steady, stealthy march in that direction is very, very important. Those who refuse to see cannot be helped, but there are plenty out there who will.

Oh dear jeezus, the "splatter pattern"? Is this real? Horse people can't deduce that looks like carrots and apple slobber, but s/he can deduce the splatter pattern to be human vomit? I'm going to go die laughing now.

http://www.facebook.com/CarriageHorseCruelty
    "Carriage Horse Cruelty Margee Horan and Jessie Swan - we're so glad that you were able to look at a picture and deduce with definitive accuracy that you know what the substance was. The splatter pattern looks a lot more like human vomit and considering the fact that this picture was taken on a city street, it is more likely to be vomit than to be "sweet dribbly glom a horse leaves after eating a juicy apple"....LOL....this picture must really be bothering the carriage horses supporters for you all to be coming here in such numbers to comment."
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

Now CHC is saying you have to pay $150 to tour the stables:

Sonia Thomas
    Seen an advert about being able to view the carriage horses home etc on another site called @The chronicle of the horse...offering tours...
    5 hours ago near Fleet, England

Carriage Horse Cruelty That's an event the industry is having next month where you have to pay $150 to go their hoopla event and one of the activities is a stable tour. The "stables" are not open to the public.

And they also just, I guess, called themselves fleas? Pretty apt.

Carriage Horse Cruelty: The carriage drivers were especially irritable today. I think it was a combination of the cold, the lack of business and our unwavering presence. The horses, for the most part, looked completely bored out of their minds but the passersby were very receptive to our message. One carriage driver kept pacing, cursing and standing very close to us as an intimidation tactic. He should know by now that won't work. I reckon, to the drivers we are like a case of fleas on a dog that is resistant to insecticide. We just won't go away and we are irritating as hell! LOL!
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

There has also been some back and forth discussion about the carriage horses with Jeffery Lichtman on his page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jeffr...503269?fref=ts

The thread is about half way down. He for some reason believes that the "nobody" would possibly support carriage horses unless they were fiscally tied somehow. I think a few posts from the equestrian community would serve the discussion well.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    There has also been some back and forth discussion about the carriage horses with Jeffery Lichtman on his page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jeffr...503269?fref=ts

The thread is about half way down. He for some reason believes that the "nobody" would possibly support carriage horses unless they were fiscally tied somehow. I think a few posts from the equestrian community would serve the discussion well.
    holy effing fruitbatting cow!

is that guy for real?!

I think even Julia Sugarbaker would cuss him out!
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

That's a level of stupidity I for one am not about to wade into.

holy effing fruitbatting cow!

is that guy for real?!

I think even Julia Sugarbaker would cuss him out!
    Oh hes for real..

think he'll delete you and ban you if you liken the discussion with him to playing chess with a pigeon?

4 members found this post helpful.

think he'll delete you and ban you if you liken the discussion with him to playing chess with a pigeon?
    So far anyone who has posted in favor he's either called an alter or some other colorful what have you. Honestly a few posts from outside sources might yank a knot in his tail.
    But yes ... its likely to end with him pooping on your pawns.

Let the guy keep it up. He can waste all of the money he wants on a campaign that he is only hurting every time he drops an F bomb. And google Bill Di Blasio + carriage horse. Big fat zero news hits (aside from a FART pulling it into the comments on unrelated stories a couple times). So I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this character.

This stuff drives me nuts. If there's one thing I hate, it's ignorance combined with close-mindedness. None of these people have a clue about safe horse keeping, and all they can post is garbage like, "poor baby"! Do they realize that, by banning carriage horses, they would effectively be sentencing all of these "beautiful angels" to uncertain futures, potential neglect and death? Unless one of them can direct me to these magic pastures with perfect weather where horses frolic freely all day long, in which case, I have some fat spoiled retirees that would like to play too.

I think the kicker is the photos that depict horses in the snow, claiming that horses shouldn't be outside in those conditions and surely they will freeze to death. Bless them, what do they think happens to pastured horses- do they have heated shelters? Or would locking them up be cruel? Should I be out shoveling our turnout fields? Goodness, I am an animal abuser and I didn't even know it! Makes my blood boil.

9 members found this post helpful.

This stuff drives me nuts. If there's one thing I hate, it's ignorance combined with close-mindedness. None of these people have a clue about safe horse keeping, and all they can post is garbage like, "poor baby"! Do they realize that, by banning carriage horses, they would effectively be sentencing all of these "beautiful angels" to uncertain futures, potential neglect and death? Unless one of them can direct me to these magic pastures with perfect weather where horses frolic freely all day long, in which case, I have some fat spoiled retirees that would like to play too.

I think the kicker is the photos that depict horses in the snow, claiming that horses shouldn't be outside in those conditions and surely they will freeze to death. Bless them, what do they think happens to pastured horses- do they have heated shelters? Or would locking them up be cruel? Should I be out shoveling our turnout fields? Goodness, I am an animal abuser and I didn't even know it! Makes my blood boil.

Is it possible to screenshot and sue for libel? Given that the facts are very clearly wrong and it's definitely meant to cause harm to an industry, probably a slam dunk win.

Quote Originally Posted by Equisis View Post

The answer is they don't think. They are not for horse welfare they are against the use of horses period. So no matter what you change do etc they will continue to keep moving the goal posts and blathering away about abuse.

There is a group of them for the horses of GA. They didn't like the pasture/run in situation. Poor horses mud rain etc , So when the horses moved to a barn literally overnight 180' poor horses , shut up in the stifling barn all day , no sunshine , no green grass.

Like someone said earlier debating them is like playing chess with pigeons. Then again one of them would probably start a group trying to liberate pigeons if you told them that.