The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Are these ppl there every day when the carriages are working?
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    Is it possible to screenshot and sue for libel? Given that the facts are very clearly wrong and it's definitely meant to cause harm to an industry, probably a slam dunk win.
    You mean blatant lies, like these?

"Horses' nostrils are usually only 3 to 3 1/2 feet above street level, read: nose-to-tailpipe. Studies show enormous lung damage, the same kind of damage you would expect from a heavy smoker."

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

And

"Raids on carriage horse stables have exposed stalls with no hay or other bedding, stall floors covered with urine and manure, poor ventilation in the stables, and horses who had no free access to water. Many stables have stacked floors - like parking garages - with steep ramps leading from one floor to the next. The floors in one stable were so rotten, they often gave way under the weight of the horses, repeatedly causing animals to break their legs."

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Not only is it meant to cause harm, I'm sure the teamsters can document actual monetary damages. I'm actually kind of curious why there aren't multiple lawsuits already going on.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    Well I posted this:

I give my horses apples, they drool excessively they love the apples! Makes quite the nasty mess but they love it, then down they go to lick up the chomped up apple drool! Ick yea but they love it! BTW-- horses physically CANNOT throw up. Wish people would become more educated before they make comments, or post misleading photos.

Lets see how long before it's gone...
    POOF! Deleted. Funny it says there should be 74 comments, but there is only 3. Looks like all they do is delete comments. What a bunch of losers. They need a job actually DOING something productive!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

3 members found this post helpful.

*sigh*
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    Are these ppl there every day when the carriages are working?
    There are several groups that protest with regularity mostly on the weekends or during holidays with the intent of interfering with business.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    That's a level of stupidity I for one am not about to wade into.
    I waded in - he sent me a PM and in my response to him I told him, politely, that if he didn't think there were "real" horse people that supported the NYC carriage horses then he needed to get out more.

He's not interested in facts - just like the rest of them.
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    Is it possible to screenshot and sue for libel? Given that the facts are very clearly wrong and it's definitely meant to cause harm to an industry, probably a slam dunk win.
    That's takes a WHOLE lot of money. And there is no such thing as a "slam dunk win" in court.
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

There have to be lawyers that would take this on a contingency fee basis. Per se libel, with compensatory damages, emotional distress, and punitive damages could be pretty significant. Hell I'd be tempted if I was licensed in NY.

Hell I'd be tempted if I was licensed in NY.
    Me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer13 View Post
    Actually, horses can (very, very, very rarely) vomit. Usually means the cardiac sphincter has been ripped. And you basically have a dead horse walking.
    I think it's okay to say "horses cannot vomit," because as you say, if they do, it means it's all over for them, whereas if a human or a dog or cat vomits, that's not the case as it often is actually helpful and is certainly most often not a sign of impending death.

Here's a start at calculating compensatory damages: If each of the nearly 30,000 individuals who have "liked" the NYCLASS page was dissuaded from taking a carriage ride, at $50 per ride, that's $1.5M that NYCLASS caused in economic losses to the industry by telling lies on their page.

Why do you suppose NYCLASS changed their caption on this picture after all the attention it got? It used to say the driver was forcing the horse to walk into the blinding lights. That is being stated as a fact and is therefore potentially libel. The caption now is more like an opinion, not clearly malicious, and likely not actionable.

You mean blatant lies, like these?

"Raids on carriage horse stables have exposed stalls with no hay or other bedding"
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    You know, if my BO was using hay for bedding, my horse eventually wouldn't have anything to lie down on either!!

Morons.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

You can find hours of entertainment reading the comments on the pics from their protests. Here's a good one. I did not know that cloven hooved animals can walk on cement but horses shouldn't. Never mind that it's asphalt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    Well I posted this:

I give my horses apples, they drool excessively they love the apples! Makes quite the nasty mess but they love it, then down they go to lick up the chomped up apple drool! Ick yea but they love it! BTW-- horses physically CANNOT throw up. Wish people would become more educated before they make comments, or post misleading photos.

Lets see how long before it's gone...
    Hah! I posted that the mess looked a lot like what my horse leaves when I give him apples and carrots.

CHC: How nice that you know what it is from just looking at a photo. This picture was taken in Philadelphia and the photographer said it was vomit so it's vomit. Stop arguing.

Me: So I say what I think it looks like and you tell me what someone said it was and I'm arguing with you.

CCH: Not germane to the point. We need to save horses from blah blah blah. Doesn't really matter what it is. .

Me: I'll be happy to take photos of the slobbery mess my horse makes when he eats apples.

CCH: I don't need to see mushed up apples. I know what they look like.

Me: If you really don't want to know more about horses in general, that's your choice.

BLOCKED and comments deleted.

So I went to the barn, gave my horse one apple and six carrots. Took pictures of the slobbery mess he made, posted them on Facebook and tagged Carriage Horse Cruelty. But since I'm blocked, I don't think they saw them.

Too bad. It was an unholy mess and it wasn't even the kind of apple he likes best.

Red licorice would freak them out too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    My old horse loved watermelon. The RARAs would probably freak - "OMG! He's bleeding from the mouth!"

The thing about that MP is that let's assume it was a big pile of vomit some drunk left behind.

And the horse sniffed it. SNIFFED VOMIT!! OMG.

So. The. F. What.

My horses probably eat poop every single day and who knows what else from all the wild animals that cross my pastures.

This is it, the best case for abuse that they can come up with is that a horse that's not even in NY may or may not have sniffed some puke. Ban this torture! And all the idiots that pile on about how awful this is. Have these people spent their entire lives indoors?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarnRules View Post
    Me, too.
    Me three. There's got to be a good, licensed NYC attorney out there with a brain who would take this on a contingency basis.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

The thing about that MP is that let's assume it was a big pile of vomit some drunk left behind.

And the horse sniffed it. SNIFFED VOMIT!! OMG.

So. The. F. What.

My horses probably eat poop every single day and who knows what else from all the wild animals that cross my pastures.

This is it, the best case for abuse that they can come up with is that a horse that's not even in NY may or may not have sniffed some puke. Ban this torture! And all the idiots that pile on about how awful this is. Have these people spent their entire lives indoors?
    But but but but ... the truth (or even rational discussion) isn't the POINT! Don't you understand that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well ... had a good time feeding my horse, taking the pics and writing the captions.

ETA .... here's what a friend (non-horsey) posted on my photos ...

Derek Smalls: You know they can't prove whose vomit it was...they don't have the facilities at Scotland Yard....

NigelTunfel: You can't really dust for vomit.

I posted a comment about the apple being juicy,...a delicious juicy apple the horse got to snack on while at work....I was deleted in less than 10 minutes.

ETA: but I am not blocked! someone email me their photos of horses eating juicy apples and the mess it makes. I asked a stupid question, "what is the difference between cloven hoofed animals and horses?" and it posted....now to see if I get a response.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    I posted a comment about the apple being juicy,...a delicious juicy apple the horse got to snack on while at work....I was deleted in less than 10 minutes.

ETA: but I am not blocked! someone email me their photos of horses eating juicy apples and the mess it makes. I asked a stupid question, "what is the difference between cloven hoofed animals and horses?" and it posted....now to see if I get a response.

I am willing to bet that the person says cloven hooved animals have hooves that can spread under their weight. If so, then you should mentinon that horses' hooves spread too, at the heel, which is why you do not put horse shoe nails past the widest part of the hoof. Blow their freakin little minds with that trivia....also, I do have video of a horse eating a jucy apple, i need to download it and will let you know when it is ready.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch