The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Where chestnuts become tumors and horses vomit ... the mythical land of RaRa

Poor horse gets a juicy apple and EVEN THAT gets ruined by the anti-carriage animal rights groups. Note two pages not just one with the poor "sick" being forced to work after puking horse.

Sure these guys should most certainly be in charge of what happens to the horses in NYC.

Read the comments on both. They so owe me a keyboard. Some days I wish I wasn't banned. ...

BTW Keep in mind one of the moderators of the CHC page IS A VETERINARIAN!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/CarriageHorseCruelty

"Sacha Rodriguezomg that looks like puke look at the splash"

"Carriage Horse CrueltyFor those of you who think that it is not vomit......check the splatter.... doesn't look like any apple I have ever seen."

She's right like no apples they've ever seen....because they have NEVER actually handled a horse ..let alone gotten close enough to feed one an apple.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Poor horse gets a juicy apple and EVEN THAT gets ruined by the anti-carriage animal rights groups. Note two pages not just one with the poor "sick" being forced to work after puking horse.

Sure these guys should most certainly be in charge of what happens to the horses in NYC.

Read the comments on both. They so owe me a keyboard. Some days I wish I wasn't banned. ...

BTW Keep in mind one of the moderators of the CHC page IS A VETERINARIAN!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/CarriageHorseCruelty

"Sacha Rodriguezomg that looks like puke look at the splash"

"Carriage Horse CrueltyFor those of you who think that it is not vomit......check the splatter.... doesn't look like any apple I have ever seen."

She's right like no apples they've ever seen....because they have NEVER actually handled a horse ..let alone gotten close enough to feed one an apple.
    Yup lol....oh, and you forgot to mention the admin on the Carriage Horse Cruelty page is a veterinarian

Edit: Oops. no, you didn't forget, I missed it!
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Maybe that was a juicy apple.....but even if it wasn't and it was vomit, that horse is not eating anything. Just putting it's head down to sniff. Plus, would you park your carriage right where someone vomited? Not the best way to draw customers.

2 members found this post helpful.

The thing I find most galling is that they have been told, on numerous occasions, actual horse FACTS and they simply refuse to believe them.

If you think horses don't belong in the city, fine, you are entitled to that opinion. But you are not entitled to make stuff up to support that opinion. Horses don't vomit - that is a fact. Chestnuts are not tumors. That is a fact.

Apparently "facts" have no place in RARA-land. I guess they wouldn't believe in gravity either if it didn't support their singularly warped world-view.
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

7 members found this post helpful.

yuck, that doesn't really look like an apple though... is it? It looks like someone splattered something on the ground (or puked, for real...) and the horse is just sniffing it. My horses sometimes make a mess of an apple but that's pretty bad. Not that it matters, but do you know if it was an apple?

1 members found this post helpful.

yeah...i'm not 100% in support of carriage horses in cities but many of those comments were pretty effing stupid. they were completely full of conjecture and just straight up misinfo...it's almost laughable.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

DieBlaue The photo is actually of a carriage horse in PA and yes the mess on the ground is the after affects of him being given carrots and an apple.

One of the biggest challenges manifests in that you CANNOT refute anything they say even if its just simple equine facts. "Horses don't puke"..banned.

These groups use emotionally stirring photos ..twist and negate facts and sometimes just make crazy Sh@# up and the general public who know nothing about horses reads it and believes it verbatim.

I've seen some pretty hilarious combinations of chewed and dropped alfalfa cubes with apple and carrot. Yeah it looks gross. Yeah my horse would lick it up in a second. My dogs also puke and eat their own puke, and eat horse poop. That's what they do. Saying my dogs eat their own puke because they're abused and I am a horrible person is absurd. Dogs also bring home dead stuff and roll in horse poop. They're DOGS.

5 members found this post helpful.

The essesnce of a RARA is an inability to appreciate an animal and respect that animal as a member of a seperate species. To them, animals are "furry humans" who need to have human rights. It is unfathomable to them that animals have different physiologies and needs. It is a toddler mentality: "I'm cold and want a lolly, therefore everyone else is cold and wants a lolly." Toddlers grow out of this egocentric developmental stage, RARAs don't. Horses are not humans. They don't care if you call yourself a horse owner or a horse caretaker as long as the
    hay keeps coming. If animals are given human legal rights, and are equals, then they need to have the capacity to abide by those human laws. Suddenly Mr. Fluffy Kitty is doing hard time for murdering a mouse, my puppies go to juvie for stealing my shoes, etc. It sounds silly, I know. About as silly as the comments posted on those websites of mass hysteria. They are unbelievable. A photo of a horse sniffing his own slobber has comments like "he hasn't easten or drank in days" , "that driver should be shot". I gave up trying to reason with these people years ago, their experience with animals is limited to talking animals in Disney movies.

13 members found this post helpful.

I responded to this photo with: Horses are not capable of vomiting. It's why horses are prone to a condition called choke where they are unable to swallow or vomit something stuck in their throats and need veterinary intervention. I do not know what is going on in this photo, but it is not vomit from the horse.

My comment was deleted and I was blocked.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    DieBlaue The photo is actually of a carriage horse in PA and yes the mess on the ground is the after affects of him being given carrots and an apple.
    Ah, that explains the orange in it. I kept hitting ctrl+ to see what it was and couldn't figure out how it was supposed to be an apple but that makes sense now. I thought maybe it was an orange and vanilla slushie that had gotten splashed by a car tire. Some CSI detective I'd be.

I loved the comment about them getting colic from eating dirt and fungus off the ground (because you know, the carriage drivers just feed them right off the pavement ) so I couldn't help but make a point that all the wild horses eat... off the ground. duh. And no one stops the wild horsies from eating buttercups and hemlock and bracken fern and all the other poisonous goodies out there.

Oh good lord....

"Peace Advocacy Network Hi, folks! You may have been noticing some negative comments being posted by carriage drivers. We are deleting such comments, as they are counterproductive to our cause and these people are not attempting to engage in meaningful dialogue, but only want to heckle our efforts. We don't like to delete comments, but we don't want to allow them to fill our page with pro-carriage propaganda! We just wanted to let you know why some comments are being moderated."

How about we have been deleting comments that dare to educate and risk making us look like complete morons?
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMet View Post
    Oh good lord....

"Peace Advocacy Network Hi, folks! You may have been noticing some negative comments being posted by carriage drivers. We are deleting such comments, as they are counterproductive to our cause and these people are not attempting to engage in meaningful dialogue, but only want to heckle our efforts. We don't like to delete comments, but we don't want to allow them to fill our page with pro-carriage propaganda! We just wanted to let you know why some comments are being moderated."

How about we have been deleting comments that dare to educate and risk making us look like complete morons?
    ^^ Again the on going and ever present issue with the anti-carriage(slavery)horse movement.

They have no horse experience..and are preying on those with less.

Some of those comments on PAN from the "drivers" were made by joe schmoe horse owners like me and included "horses can't vomit", "those are scraps from an apple" and watch out " hes not eating his own puke"

Hi, folks! You may have been noticing some negative comments being posted by carriage drivers. We are deleting such comments, as they are counterproductive to our cause and these people are not attempting to engage in meaningful dialogue, but only want to heckle our efforts. We don't like to delete comments, but we don't want to allow them to fill our page with pro-carriage propaganda! We just wanted to let you know why some comments are being moderated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I am someone who could possibly be convinced that carriage horses are not necessary or suitable for use on city streets, were that argument to be presented in a reasonable and balanced way.

Instead, the total and complete commitment to cray-cray that these people have makes me want to go shove Black Beauty and a bullwhip down their throats, as well as up other orifices.

It's one thing if they're arguing back when people post a dissenting opinion, but I hate the approach of just deleting everyone who doesn't agree with you. Absolutely hate it.

Reported their page to Facebook as harassing.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

16 members found this post helpful.

Actually, horses can (very, very, very rarely) vomit. Usually means the cardiac sphincter has been ripped. And you basically have a dead horse walking.

But if that was a case with the carriage horse, it certainly wouldn't be on the street the next day!

Eventer,

I saw a couple of folks who actually pointed out somewhere in there that if a horse actually vomits, it's basically going to be dead. So it was brought up. Dunno if those comments still exist, though.

And honestly, from what I can see of the horse, it looks like a well-cared for and healthy animal. I expect the horse was just sniffing whatever-that-is on the ground. No big deal.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Instead, the total and complete commitment to cray-cray that these people have makes me want to go shove Black Beauty and a bullwhip down their throats, as well as up other orifices.
    IME, that is a very common reaction amongst horsefolk with these people Unfortunately, as Lynnwood said, "they have no experience with horses and prey on people [general public and politicians] who have even less."

It's one thing if they're arguing back when people post a dissenting opinion, but I hate the approach of just deleting everyone who doesn't agree with you. Absolutely hate it.
    From their POV, they must do this, because if they allowed facts contrary to their position and assertions, their movement would dry up and blow away. I personally have offered them a public debate, the date, venue, and moderator of their choice, they refuse. That tells me all I need to know.

Reported their page to Facebook as harassing.
    Good, thank you - we should probably do this more often.

I am someone who could possibly be convinced that carriage horses are not necessary or suitable for use on city streets, were that argument to be presented in a reasonable and balanced way.
    I wanted to take on this part of your post last, only to point out that, in 2013, there is not one horse pursuit in the United States that is "necessary", and also to ask that if you ever find what seems to be a "reasonable, balanced argument" against urban carriage horses, to please post it here, so that I may respond
    Last edited by michaleenflynn; Feb. 20, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

6 members found this post helpful.

lol. I, too, posted on the photo that "Horses cannot vomit. It's a physiological impossibility." I was also deleted and blocked. I guess I must be one of those terrible "carriage drivers" they mention who are posting "pro-carriage propaganda" . . . even though I'm not a carriage driver. Jeeze.

Thank you to all who responded. We really need your help with these idiots. They know nothing about horses at all and we need support from those of you who DO know about horses.