The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

MistyBlue, I am the same with the baking! Except I have a major sweet tooth, but I am trying to eat healthier so I give away most of what I bake. It is entirely a waste of money but at least I satisfy my need to bake!

Wegmans is definitely the most dangerous of all the grocery stores. I always allot myself a "treat" impulse buy from the prepared section while I am there... now I want to go there tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    OK, bey, WHAT does that mean?

So, it's a rich people store with everything? The Safeway around the corner has a deli, prepared food, a Starbucks where you can sit down, a pharmacy, florist, etc.

No chefs cooking and bar, though. Whole Foods ish? I dunno. I don't shop at places that cost that much!
    It's not a rich people store. I do all of my grocery shopping there. Many things are actually cheaper than at Giant (the other large chain in this area, more similar to a Safeway.) It's not Whole Foods...I find Whole Foods pretentious and annoying. But Wegman's has ingredients I would never be able to find at another store, EXTREMELY knowledgeable staff, and offers more freshness and variety of produce than any store I have ever been in.

2 members found this post helpful.

The prices at Wegmans are pretty comparable to Safeway, there are just more "perks". They also carry their store brands which are also very good!

And for the single gals...A friend and I (we are both married) were in a Wegmans on a Friday night, looked like happy hour for the single folk, just sayin!

It means "be still my beating heart" or GASP/horrors! (I'm being dramatically silly because I LOVE Wegmans )

What Chessie said. Wegmans is far more than Safeway or Giant or Pick N Save or Piggly Wiggly. I've not been to a Trader Joes or a Whole Foods. Here's my store's layout

It's not a "rich people's" store. It's actually less expensive for certain items than other stores in the area. Some foods haven't had their prices raised since 2009 or 2010. Of course that means other prices ARE higher, but that just means being a smart shopper and hitting several stores (I have at least 7 options in the 8 minute drive between me and Wegmans. Harris Teeter is 10 minutes, including a 2-song traffic light.)
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

I love that Wegmans has spread beyond WNY! It really is the best grocery store around--prices are reasonable, the produce is great, the cafe and takeaway foods are awesome, and their house brands are really good quality. They're also consistently listed as one of the best companies to work for. We don't have a wine bar at ours since you can't sell wine in grocery stores in NY, but they have an awesome beer selection, with make-your-own six-packs.

And their red velvet cupcakes and sushi are so very good.

See? I am vindicated. I'm going to eat another Russell Stover egg.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, now how did the west coast miss out on that whole experience? It's like a Starbucks, but with food. It's more an experience and hangout, hoping you'll spend your money.

I will definitely have to check one out should I ever go east.

I agree, Wegmans is less expensive that the Tops we have in my town.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

1 members found this post helpful.

I've never heard of Wegmans, or Safeway, but some of my basic rules are to NOT go grocery shopping when I am hungry, and to only visit the dairy, fish/meat and produce aisles (in my local Market Basket it's easy, just keep to the outside walls).

Or, even better, I walk to the produce stand around the corner. No junk food there.

LOVE a good salad! Lately it's endives, red beets, apples and nuts. YUM.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Wegman's is cheaper or comperable for us on most things than Safeway or Giant. Produce especially - bananas are nearly half what I pay for them at Giant. Quality is great too. I was surprised by that the first time we went, I expected it to be like Whole Foods in price.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

No Wegmans' near me, or in the Midwest that I've ever heard of.
    For me the way to avoid overbuying is to make a list, stick to the list unless the item is something I normally use AND on Killer Sale.
    And mentally run a total - easier to put back things if they take me over the Magic Number.
    Avoid endcaps - they put the tempters there.
    Know your store layout so you can beeline to the stuff you came for.

MistyBlue:
    Does your store carry powdered buttermilk?
    Lasts about forever in the fridge and never goes bad.
    I think I paid ~$3 for a 12oz can that will make approximately 1gal of buttermilk.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Love Wegmans. The produce quality can not be beat. $6 meals are amazing. Subs are delicious....

My store even has a little spot to drop your kids while you shop (I do not have kids but from what I have seen watching other people it is a very popular spot for the kids).

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Love Wegmans. The produce quality can not be beat. $6 meals are amazing. Subs are delicious....

My store even has a little spot to drop your kids while you shop (I do not have kids but from what I have seen watching other people it is a very popular spot for the kids).
    They have that in the McKinley one in Bflo...fully enclosed turnout!
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I've heard that before but was suspicious of it--good to hear that it turned out well! I wanted to use buttermilk in my cornbread the other night but didn't have any; will definitely try that in the future.
    you can also use 1&3/4 tsp of cream of tartar to 1 cup of milk. Or plain yogurt and lemon juice. But I think the vinegar trick is easiest - and you can use white or apple cider vinegar.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I think the best grocery goof was the time my mom sent my dad out for a gallon of milk. He came home with a brand new truck.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

3 members found this post helpful.

It's interesting to see all of the commentary about Wegmans, for good reason. I, too, love the store. When ours was first built, all of us country bumpkins wandered through the store with our jaws on the ground! It offers consistently excellent product in every department and the staff is second-to-none. I am extremely annoyed with people in customer service who are surly or simply don't make eye contact and smile. Just doesn't happen at Wegmans.

And for all of those reasons and more, shopping there is an adventure! Their deli and prepared food section, as others have mentioned, is fantastic. Cheese counter, olive bar.....fabulous!

The family happens to live locally and are philanthropic as well. The bottom line is that customer satisfaction is at the top of their business model and it has served them well.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    That's awesome! My DH & I were talking about Wegmans with friends over dinner the other night and we all agreed that the one thing our Wegmans are missing is a kiddy drop of center like Ikea has.

Oh the joy that is Wegmans. I really need one here in MS. I always end up going there when I visit my parents in PA. The bakery and patisserie alone could be the death of me. And yes, we always got more than planned whenever we shopped there.

Wegmans is the best... There's one about 20 minutes from our house now, and we do 99% of our shopping there. Their store-brand products are excellent, and their prices are the best of any grocery stores around here, even the "club" stores (Costco, BJ's); the only retailer that beats their prices is WalMart. (And really, WalMart?! WM's fresh foods are positively hideous.)

The absolute BEST thing about them, however, is definitely their customer service. I positively hate cashiers who don't speak to you at all while carrying on conversations with their coworkers, staff who don't know anything (and aren't willing to find an answer if asked), dirty stores... You get NONE of that at Wegmans. It's a complete pleasure to grocery-shop there...
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    When I stop at Wegmans to get a bag of salad, I come home with: ...
    First, I don't think PMS has anything to do with it. It's all WEGMAN's. When I get there (sister lives outside SYR), W's is a giant magnet. I come home with:
    Orange Capuccino coffee
    W brand low sodium/low fat bacon
    their made-in-store popcorn-cart rice cakes
    red, white & blueberry bread
    cranberry orange bread
    and too much else to itemize....

Plus, we always take my sis & b-i-l there for breakfast! Alan's half the fun - but he's toned down since they downsized the breakfast area. And did away with their waffles. :-(

C
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast