The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post

Tell me about the bbq shrimp stuff, it sounds totally devine!
    It's maki with shrimp tempura, cream cheese and a sweetish BBQ sauce. So awesome. One of the reasons Wegmans is so dangerous.

I almost bought a new shamrock hat for my horse for St. Pat's, but that was the only temptation I resisted.

Also, Pepperidge Farms strawberry thumbprint cookies are so good. So, so good.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Quote Originally Posted by faybe View Post
    Buttermilk is the one thing I ALWAYS forget to buy when baking... the easiest solution is just to make your own! I add a tablespoon of white vinegar (or lemon juice, if I don't have vinegar) to a measuring cup, then fill to 1 cup with milk. I stir and then let sit on the counter for 15 minutes (or until the milk is room temp) and voila! Buttermilk. I can't taste the difference between it and store bought in my baked goods.
    I've heard that before but was suspicious of it--good to hear that it turned out well! I wanted to use buttermilk in my cornbread the other night but didn't have any; will definitely try that in the future.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

You guys are making me feel even more afraid to make the trip to the local Co-op grocery for milk and eggs IF i can get dug out by Saturday. Last time I went for milk and eggs, I came home with grapefruit pop, 5 1 litre boxes of juice (in my defence, they were 5 for 5.00), a frozen lasanga, chicken burgers (also on sale) and a box of Ruffles cookies, something that, apparently, are available only in Canada.....pity, as they are the most delightful coconut confection, coated with chocolate
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Wegman's + PMS= lethal combination.

Makes me glad mine is 30 minutes away. I would be the size of a house.
    I drive past Wegman's on my way home from the barn every day. I am not the size of a house, but I may be headed for the poorhouse...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    When I stop at Wegmans to get a bag of salad, I come home with:

BBQ shrimp rangoon sushi
    Hot dogs
    Potato hot dog buns
    A red velvet cupcake
    A bag of thumbprint cookies
    14 Russell Stover dark chocolate eggs with coconut, raspberry, or maple whip
    A Real Simple magazine that promises to organize my life
    A six pack of beer

...I blame PMS.
    Or you went to Wegmans
    ETA: I posted this BEFORE I read what everybody else posted! ROFL!
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

1 members found this post helpful.

I stopped to get a case of beer for hubby and my neighbor so they could stock the man cave fridge and came home with...

Orange juice to mix with my whipped cream vodka
    2 half gallons of ice cream.
    A box of cream puffs
    Whipped cream
    Butter
    Brown rice

OhEmgee Sara and Sam I am moving into YOUR place. :. Ha! I fit 3 bales of hay, a Sam's Club haul, DH, and leftover restaurant dinners into my Forester on Monday bc the hay truck was in for repairs...
    Then, back to SWVA to visit my neighbor CHSatwork
    Whipped cream vodka? (Looks at her half melted g&t....)

Quote Originally Posted by faybe View Post
    Buttermilk is the one thing I ALWAYS forget to buy when baking... the easiest solution is just to make your own! I add a tablespoon of white vinegar (or lemon juice, if I don't have vinegar) to a measuring cup, then fill to 1 cup with milk. I stir and then let sit on the counter for 15 minutes (or until the milk is room temp) and voila! Buttermilk. I can't taste the difference between it and store bought in my baked goods.
    A couple of green fig leaves work just as well to make buttermilk or cottage cheese out of fresh milk.

Went to Wegmans on Friday for a 6 pack of red peppers, some hummus and baba ghanoush for my visiting college student. $200 later...
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by islgrl View Post
    I've never heard of Wegmans.... Sounds like that isn't a bad thing!
    Imagine your dream grocery store. Then imagine your dream food court. Put them under one building, make it 10x better and you've got a Wegman's.

5 members found this post helpful.

Wegmans is da BOMB! Mine has a fresh fish grill right next to the fish counter. They serve wine in real glasses. There's a fresh sushi stand, a stir-fry stand, pizza, and a by-weight buffet and salad bar. I took a visiting Aussie friend there last summer. She was a bit confused by "eating at the grocery." Until she walked inside

Yes, a tbsp of distilled white vinegar to one cup of *whole* milk makes it react the same as buttermilk in a recipe. It works best if you let the milk reach room temp, then add the vinegar and let sit 5-15 minutes.
    The reason most recipes specify buttermilk is because of the acidity of the buttermilk. It makes certain recipes work better.
    But if you're swapping milk for buttermilk in a recipe, you also have to adjust *down* the amount of baking soda or powder used. All act as a leavening agent or "riser." If you use too much of both you'll end up with a too-airy and epic-height baked goody, LOL!
    You can also use sourcream in place of buttermilk, or even plain yogurt. Just mix with a little milk (enough to thin it to the consistency of shaken buttermilk, which is thick) and stir until smooth/thick liquid. Both add enough acid to react like buttermilk.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I'm having a hard time believing you eat that, Sarah. You are tiny!

I don't know what Wegman's is. Grocery store? I can't afford to shop at grocery stores. The only place I really get food is the Grocery Outlet and the 99cent store. I can buy four bags of stuff for under $50.

I do hit Trader Joe's (do you guys have that?) for my specialty items. I LOVE their frozen naan bread and Afrcan bread, that I just discovered is really nice with their to die for salmon dip. I also get my raw uncooked cashews and sunflower seeds (for salads) there. Costco for bread, raw almonds, and cat food.

I love a Wegmans, and throw the budget out the door as soon as I walk in. I just never get what I went for, being distracted by all of the other goodies there! I come home with the strangest stuff, drives my husband crazy!

So, it's like Safeway? That have all of that at Safeway.

Completely different than Safeway, Wegmans is more of a shopping experience, LOL. Our local store offers an awesome prepared food area (think cafeteria), with a balcony above where children can go watch movies. The last time I was there Racheal Ray was doing a book signing. You can actually sit down at a bar, have a glass of wine and watch a chef prepare you a quick meal. Of course they have all the other stuff, which now you can see why I usually forget it!

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    So, it's like Safeway? That have all of that at Safeway.
    *grabs for the pearls*

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    You didn't even have to say PMS because you hit all the PMS food groups; meat, salt, chocolate, and booze. I swear they should just have them all in one aisle to save time. Or better yet; how about a rare, chocolate-covered, potato chip-encrusted, steak.

Paula
    ...You know, minus the chocolate...potato-chip-crusted steak sounds really, really good.

...I have a skintight dress to wear Friday, I really need to not think about that. (Though we always have dinner after our rounds at this comp.)

OK, bey, WHAT does that mean?

So, it's a rich people store with everything? The Safeway around the corner has a deli, prepared food, a Starbucks where you can sit down, a pharmacy, florist, etc.

No chefs cooking and bar, though. Whole Foods ish? I dunno. I don't shop at places that cost that much!