The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Paying for Gas in a test drive

Saw a news piece on some car dealerships now charging for gas or requiring you to add gas if you do a test drive. I can see that there are probably folks who "abuse" test drives, but as a person who doesn't do an extensive test drive I would be put off with a "gas fee" I would be more for limits on mileage or a fee for an overage of that limit. Anyone run across this buying a car? ETA, I'm probably too old and been able to test drive for free too long LOL
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I just bought a new car and did test drives at several dealers multiple cars. No gas charged at all. I find it absurd and really if a dealership wants to stay in business, they won't impose something like this.

I'm with you. If I had to pay for a test drive I'd probably "test" it a lot harder and longer than I normally would!

That's just ridiculous.

Gas consumption during a test drive is a cost of doing business that the dealership should just eat. Charging for it is a stupid idea.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

2 members found this post helpful.

I have test driven a good number of trucks and SUVs in the past few months and Ive never been asked to pay for gas. The test drives havent been super long either though. I would be really turned off if I was expected to pay for a test drive.

I suspect it has a lot to do with WHO is doing the test driving.

I have gone on many test drives and never been looked at funny.

The group of teenage boys who was at one dealership once? They had to prove that they had the financing/were serious about buying/could afford the car they wanted to test drive/etc.

Dealers don't want time wasters and look for ways to deter them, but I suspect if you don't LOOK like a time waster, they will make things easy for you.

I will never pay for gas if I am to drive a new or used car. Nope.Ain't.gonna.happen.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    Saw a news piece on some car dealerships now charging for gas or requiring you to add gas if you do a test drive. I can see that there are probably folks who "abuse" test drives, but as a person who doesn't do an extensive test drive I would be put off with a "gas fee" I would be more for limits on mileage or a fee for an overage of that limit. Anyone run across this buying a car? ETA, I'm probably too old and been able to test drive for free too long LOL
    I just bought a new car and while I wasn't charged for test driving, I was told that dealers no longer fill the new car with gas before you leave. I believe I actually had to sign a document stating as much. My salesman was really bothered by it and apologized a million times, but luckily the car I purchased had about a 1/2 tank of gas in it, so I didn't have to stop on my way home.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

I am currently test driving trucks and have not been asked to pay for fuel but was told that they no longer fill them up when you buy them...my reply was that the two trucks they would get as trade ins would be on "E" then. I think thats a fair trade.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

3 members found this post helpful.

I did a solo test drive once and was miles on the road before I saw that the needle was squarely on "E." That's right -- the dealership didn't gas up the tank and didn't check before I got going.

I was nowhere near a gas station, and was freaking out thinking I might go empty in a strange car. Needless to say, that dealer didn't get my business.

But when Kramer tested the "E" on a classic Seinfeld (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuEdU_lrtZk), I had a good laugh about it.

That's ridiculous...putting gas in a test drive car is a normal cost of doing business. If they feel they are being taken advantage of (too much joy riding by people who will never buy a car from them), they can be more careful about who they let go out for a solo drive and/or restrict the time or mileage allowed for an initial test drive. In my area, the only dealers who offer solo test drives are ones I've been doing business with for years, so they know me. Otherwise, you get a salesman in the car with you and he tells you which route to take while he answers questions about the car.

I think maybe some one was seeking pocket change ....sort of like the Valet Parking attendant at a local Ft Worth downtown high roller's charity even... one of the attendees commend to the organizers how nice it was that they arranged for valet parking....they were surprise to learn their cars were stolen as there was not any valet parking

That's just cheap and poor business. My dealer gives loaner cars and I don't pay for gas at all - unless I drive so much I would risk running on E and decide to add some. I can't imagine going to a dealer that would make me pay for a test drive!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Toyota dealership in The Dalles still fills up the tank of a new vehicle. They also bring it into the showroom and video you driving it out.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I actually think on the window sticker for my Prius it says "tank of gas included" or something like that. I drove it off of the lot with a full tank.

Just test drove several cars before buying my new car. Never had to pay for gas, but all cars were very close to empty, maybe to discourage you from taking a long joy ride? I did get a full take of gas with my new ford!