The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Grooming at the race track.

I loved having a small string of horses I groomed and took care of. I really liked being busy, busy, busy, and doing a physically demanding job. The pay was good, and I got along well with most of my coworkers. As someone who rides Hunter/Jumper it was interesting to be a part of that side of the horse world.

I spent ten years working in a busy Advertising Agency in Boston in the 1980s. Things were booming and I loved it. That seems like a million years ago.
    Now I'm a Therapeutic Riding Instructor and it is the best job in the world. I love it.

Default A State Mental Institution

My favorite job by far was working at a state mental institution. The jobs was dangerous, the pay was terrible, but I LOVED it.

You had t keep a sense of humor about it otherwise it would be really depressing. It was so interesting and connecting with the long term patients was the best. Most of the time you would see the revolving door effect, but every now and then you hit a home run and saw a patient really stay stable long term. I have to admit that I also loved when they would tell their super crazy stories. That is where the sense of humor came in.

I was on the unit that housed the criminally insane. Working with that population was my goal in life. (Strange I know. It was that or be a medical examiner. I'm kinda off like that.) They were SO interesting and learning about their crimes, what they had to say about it and watching the disease process was incredible.

I work in a very high profile hard to get govt job now, and if I could I would go back to the hospital.

Sadly, it looks like I will be unable to work due to disability but I am so grateful I got to work that job.
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

my job right now!! I own my own farm, have my own riding lesson business, do summer camps, clinics, training, drill team, horse shows, etc etc etc. Also finally am a published author, got published last year. Working on my next book now!

I also love to sew, so my other business is making lots of unique clothing and items for people. And life is just GOOD!!!! I get paid pretty well, too. Enough to own 10 horses, anyway.

Galloping and breaking racehorses. It was the one thing that I felt like I was born to do, and darn it, I was good at it. Unfortunately, I got a few bad concussions, and the last one was bad enough that the Dr said no more racehorses. I miss it every day though.

Adamantane, I didn't know that was a Dutch maxim. A co-worker gave me a gorgeously painted piece of slate with that written on it. It is my life philosophy. I'm really trying! (just a year+ to go before retirement - I WILL make it)

With that thought in my head, I have enjoyed at least aspects or people or challenges about pretty much every job. Didn't all start out that way, but I took something good from every one. If I had to choose a few: Wildewood Riding School, Columbia, SC - manager/head instructor; and WXXA TV, Albany, NY - accounts receivable (even though the Bus Mgr was TOLD to hire the very unqualified me, we became and remain dear friends).

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

I love my job as a teacher. The pay is great, hours are so-so, I have awesome students and coworkers. I leave work every.single.day feeling fufilled. Our school has a riding program, so I'm on a horse at least once a week in the afternoon, which is a huge bonus as I'm currently horseless.

Back in university, I worked as a trail ride leader in the mountains for the summer time. In the school year, I worked at a makeup counter at a big department store. Both were great.
    ~please recycle~

The best job I've ever held is the one I have now. I have my own private psychotherapy practice and I love working with people that request my assistance. I have a lot of nurses, attorneys, and academics and even some fellow professionals in my field on my caseload. I determine my own schedule and I don't have a "boss". However, I DO have the Boards to ensure my compliance for acceptable practices as well as ethical adherence. I love that I am helping people figure out an issue that concerns them. I love being offered very sacred confessions of difficult events and discoveries - being given that trust is very precious to me, and it makes me want to do my best for them.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    Air Traffic Controller; enjoyed the tower work but radar was just a wild video game

I agree...I did RAPCON for 2 enlistments in the military at all Cat 3 Bases... LOVED it. Kind of like a cross between video games and chess. I'd do it for free if I could. Couldn't go into the FAA when I got out, because I was waiting for my ex to get out of AF and then there was a hiring freeze, and by the time it opened up, I was over the cut off age for the FAA. That sucked.
    Being a Realtor, and buying investment properties, flipping homes is pretty fun though. I love looking at houses, so the job is a really good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I agree...I did RAPCON for 2 enlistments in the military at all Cat 3 Bases... LOVED it. Kind of like a cross between video games and chess. I'd do it for free if I could. Couldn't go into the FAA when I got out, because I was waiting for my ex to get out of AF and then there was a hiring freeze, and by the time it opened up, I was over the cut off age for the FAA. That sucked.
    Being a Realtor, and buying investment properties, flipping homes is pretty fun though. I love looking at houses, so the job is a really good fit.
    Being a realtor and flipping homes would be a perfect combination, giving you insider information on what is out there.

Like being a horse trainer and getting first dibs to good horses the current rider is moving up/out and are going to be for sale.
    That is the way many good campaigners sell in the show world.

I have always loved any place I lived, any job I had, just have been a happy type person, that can make whatever I get work, one way or another.
    I think having a manager/caretaker's soul helps.
    You appraise what you have, in yourself and around you, wherever you are and make the best of it all.

Life is too short to feel shortened or aggravated by your circumstances, especially when you live in a "first world", where basic necessities like a stable government and abundant resources are a given.
    Luck also helps, to always have been around good, helpful people.
    We really can make our own happiness.

I'm envious of all y'all who have had the opportunity to work on the backside of race tracks. I really FEEL the lack of that education in my horsey endeavors!

That said, my current job is my favorite that I've ever had. I've been a paralegal for decades but this law firm is better suited to me than any I've ever worked at b/c of the level of self-sufficiency required. It's a small law firm full of introverts. No drama, no office politics. We don't socialize. We come in, say "good morning" pleasantly, and get to work, and when we're done we leave. People who are more social have a terrible time here, and flounder with the perceived lack of "support" (really meaning "direction"), and usually leave within a year, but it suits me down to the ground. Nobody here is going to tell you or teach you how to do your job: it's 100% autonomy. You either figure it out and are enough of a self-starter to get it done, or you don't. You manage your OWN time, nobody does it for you. Nobody tells you HOW to handle a case or HOW to balance your case load. Nobody tells you what's coming up on the calendar. You have to work all that stuff out for yourself, and then it's on you to make sure it gets done and the deadlines are met. I look back on all those decades I spent at micromanaged law firms and realize that, while sometimes the lack of communication in this place is a little exasperating (e.g. one of our associates just made partner and it was never even announced!), it's still the Cadillac job of anywhere I've ever been.

Could do with a raise though!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

My best job ever was trail guide/wrangler.

My "office headquarters":
    http://home.comcast.net/~wec6/photos/Barn.jpg

My "office chair" (who could be a bit temperamental at times, but honest as the day was long and never failed me):
    http://home.comcast.net/~wec6/photos/Junior1.jpg

On the job:
    http://home.comcast.net/~wec6/photos/ParadiseV2.jpg

Didn't pay worth a darn, but with work conditions like that, I wasn't working for the $.
    Equus Keepus Brokus