The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Nothing comes to mind right now but I am enjoying the diversity of everyone's favorite job on here!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

I actually really enjoyed valet parking when I was in college. It was my summer job at a health club that had some pretty rich members (Barry Bond and Jerry Rice were both members. Never got to valet park their cars though, lol). It was a good time with fun coworkers, earned some decent tips especially when there were events like weddings and got to drive a lot of nice cars for at least a few minutes

As an early teen worked one year after school some evenings in a hole in the wall little bookstore of old and little known newly published niche books.
    We stacked shelves, dusted and learned to read books so they looked like no one had ever opened them.
    Books are sacred still to me and those I have at home, once a friend asked me if I had read one that still looked new.
    Guess that good habits stick with you.

Were told if we saw someone stealing a book under their shirt or jacket to let the owner know but ignore it.
    The owner then would stalk that buyer and give him the hairy eyeball and he would quit stealing.
    It worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Palomino Hunter View Post
    I recently applied for what is essentially the holy grail of summer internships in my field.

This company gets about 1000 applicants per job opening for regular jobs, vs. about 150 applicants for this internship... so this is my best shot at an "in." Although I managed to avoid saying it in my cover letter, I would gladly give a semi-vital organ or my firstborn for this internship.

They said they'd let those chosen for interviews by mid-February. I know it's technically a bit past "mid-February," but I'm holding out hope!! I emailed the contact person for the internship earlier today, and have having heart palpitations every time I've gotten an email ALL DAY.

THE ANTICIPATION IS KILLING ME.So help distract me, COTHers:

What is the best job (/your favorite) you've ever had? What made it the best/your favorite... pay? coworkers? type of work?
    I have had two favorite jobs. The first, was when I ran a boarding barn in Upperville, VA. I did horse stuff all day long and I loved every minute of it.

But my favorite career is the one I am in now. I am the head of HR for a burger and fries company, Five Guys. I have had the honor and joy of building the HR department from scratch and helping be a part of what Five Guys is today. I have had the pleasure of being a part of this family run company and given responsibilities that I never dreamed prior. This opportunity has catapulted my career into an executive level that would have otherwise taken a decade to accomplish. I love the food industry, I love the passion of the employees for this single pursuit of excellence and the fanaticism towards guest experience.

When I came onboard we had less than 200 employees, we are now over 5,000 and growing. I have been able to touch all areas as well as gain international experience in both Canada and the UK as of today. In a few year who knows! I have 15 amazing people in my department who bring so much to the table and my job so much easier!

It has been an honor and I am truly blessed.
    Grab mane and kick on!

www.rocksolid-training.com

6 members found this post helpful.

Default my favorite job was

collecting money from pay phones. That is what I did for over twenty years. It was GREAT exercise, in and out of the truck 60-80 times a day, it paid well enough for me to keep a horse at board, and be able to travel to Europe and Australia on vacation, and live a good fun life.
    The down side was that the trucks were not air conditioned till 5 years before I retired, and there was so much work we were fearful of taking a day off sick on pain of death. I learned to go into terrible neighborhoods and not be frightened of the locals.

I had easy acess to the professional baseball and football stadiums, and the amusement park. We could drive thru if we were out by 10 am when the park opened. I had the whole park to myself it was wonderful.

I loved it, but it also encouraged/forced me to work alone, so I have always been ok with eating out on my own. I know there is a thread on this, but I always had a book or magazine. We were paid an amazing amount for a per diem and I unfortunately learned to love rich decadent food.
    I feel sad now when I drive into a Quik Trip and I don't see 6 pay phones and a drive up. It was a great life. I was blessed that I was never robbed as some of my collegues were.
    Another killer of threads

Quote Originally Posted by PiedPiper View Post
    I have had two favorite jobs. The first, was when I ran a boarding barn in Upperville, VA. I did horse stuff all day long and I loved every minute of it.

But my favorite career is the one I am in now. I am the head of HR for a burger and fries company, Five Guys. I have had the honor and joy of building the HR department from scratch and helping be a part of what Five Guys is today. I have had the pleasure of being a part of this family run company and given responsibilities that I never dreamed prior. This opportunity has catapulted my career into an executive level that would have otherwise taken a decade to accomplish. I love the food industry, I love the passion of the employees for this single pursuit of excellence and the fanaticism towards guest experience.

When I came onboard we had less than 200 employees, we are now over 5,000 and growing. I have been able to touch all areas as well as gain international experience in both Canada and the UK as of today. In a few year who knows! I have 15 amazing people in my department who bring so much to the table and my job so much easier!

It has been an honor and I am truly blessed.
    All very interesting, but I vote this one of the best.
    Thank you for letting us know of such pleasure in your work.

2 members found this post helpful.

Was a trainer for a high end cosmetics company. Free product, great discounts, sales meetings in the best cities, racked up travel miles and hotel points at the nicest hotels. The best part is I picked a barn in the middle of all the locations I had to train so I could always go for a ride after work on my way home

Worked at a small coffee shop in college, got to know all the locals.

Worked for a surf camp for half a summer teaching little kids how to surf, not too shabby either.

Law enforcement. There are lows, and you become a cynic pretty danged fast, but every day is different and you get to see/do some cool stuff. Some gross stuff too, but even that can be cool .
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I love my current job so much that I completely changed my career track for it. I fell into programming for a kids' computer game. I'd had no programming experience, but I liked and had beta tested the game, and a friend suggested I apply. What the hell, right? Flash forward two years. I'm a quest writer, which means I'm combining fiction writing with programming, and as time has gone on I've taken on other responsibilities too. I get to see and am involved in a lot of what goes on behind the scenes of building and maintaining a successful game. Liked it so much I ended up leaving my master's program in clinical psychology and enrolling in a computer science degree program with a focus in game design. The psych comes in useful too here, so I don't regret that!

PS if they don't want you, LPH, they're crazy.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

umm, let me see. My favorite job is definitely the one I'm at.

IT professional. Built a system (actually a system of multiple sub-systems) to transform the company AP invoicing system from 100% paper to electronic, with complete check and balance built in. It is my brain child, from conception, design, to implementation - very challenging, exciting, and fulfilling, and I work with very smart people. They are now processing close to 20 millions, 2000+ invoices a day. No way they can do that with paper. lol.

Company itself is excellent: flexible hours. Nobody cares whether I step my feet in at 10:00 am or 8:00 am. Shut my office door if I want to be anti-social. Great 401K. Great gym. Tons of free tickets to employees - last year I got the final Thunder play out game seating at the section just above the floor level. Oh, and two years ago when we suffered prolonged power outage in the dead of winter, they called all employees impacted by it, and offered assistance like putting them up in hotel, so on and so forth. Our concerns were our 8 horses at pasture - no power, no well, no water. We drove the truck with a 200 gallon water tank to the company basement, and used the high powered hydrant to fill the tank. Not sure what to do if they didn't help.

I actually don't mind my job now. I've been there about 8 years now. I work weddings at a small island resort. We do smaller weddings (the largest one was 120 people, we average about 40-70 person weddings). I serve and bartend the weddings and work the regular restaurant here and there. I love the people that I work with, wedding patrons are usually a fun crowd, and its fast paced, fairly organized, and you're constantly in motion. Every wedding season I get to eat A LOT more than usual in order to not drop weight like crazy. Seriously, between the set-up, break-down and constant stair climbing, you're staying in shape!

If the days weren't so long an I wasn't also in nursing school, I'd probably enjoy it even more. Plus, the money is good, albiet a bit inconsistant.

I REALLY loved working as a horse trainer at a local trail riding barn. The money was total poo and the barn owner struggled to even pay me, but I would get there at 6:30am, throw hay/feed, saddle up my first mount, and be done by 2pm. Its so darn hot here in the summer that I had to have my 4-5 horses worked before 2pm or we'd all have gone belly-up from heat stroke.

Favorite part about that job? No one else showed up until after my day was almost over (save for the weekends, which I rarely worked). Nothing but riding horses with no other human contact? HECK YES!

My favorite job is the one I have now. I am the Clinical Director, Study Coordinator and senior ophthalmic technician at a retina practice. This was a mid life career change for me after training horses for 35 yrs. I had no ophthalmic experience at all when I was hired 7 yrs. ago. They were looking for a personality type that would fit in with their practice, which has a majority of elderly patients. I LOVE our oldsters!

This is the first job I have had where I feel like I am making a HUGE difference in someone's life. I have helped grow the practice from one doctor, one location to four doctors and three locations. It has taken a lot of motivation and self study to rise to the position I now have but it was so worth it.

I enjoyed training horses and managing foxhunting barns, but the work I do now gives me so much joy. Some of our patients are such a hoot and are so appreciative of the care they get. Even long, tough clinic days leave me with a smile on my face.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

I have a tie between juvenile correctional officer and 911 dispatcher.

It's a job where no two days are alike. I especially liked being a dispatcher because I could wear my pajama pants and take as many breaks as I needed!!!

I'm trying to get back into corrections now that I have moved back to Houston permanently.

I am currently working at the first job that I actually enjoyed! It's not the pay (which may lead me to find another). It's the people, the atmosphere, the actual duties. I love all that! I just wish it paid better!

ETA: It's in accounting.
    Last edited by JumpQH; Feb. 20, 2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: add what type of job

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    Air Traffic Controller; enjoyed the tower work but radar was just a wild video game

LOTS of job openings now.... twenty years and you can retire at 55... paid training and once quilified $120,000 is pretty easy to hit
    I have likely talked to you!

I LOVE my job. I work with amazing people. Working with great people has made such a difference to me. I actually look for reasons to go to my office.
    Last edited by Katy9532; Feb. 21, 2013 at 07:34 PM.

Nice to see SO many people loving what they do...
    I've been super lucky and have liked quite a few of the jobs I've held since my college years.
    I was a National Sales Rep for equestrian products for 2 years... traveled a ridiculous amount, got to meet some amazing people, work tradeshows, talk horses all day, etc. It was fun to get a new brand to represent and get it started here in the US.
    That being said- I now work for one of the largest horse shows in the world coordinating events, sales, etc...
    Most people think it's all "glamorous" but I work my butt off... 80 hrs a week is normal and you may have seen me running around with a drill this past week, putting signs up because it needed to get done!
    That being said- I love how busy it is, how passionate we all are about the sport, etc.
    Only down-side... I only get to ride twice a week... at 6:30AM before the show starts!
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

Ubiaw- What product or service does your company sell? It sounds amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    PS if they don't want you, LPH, they're crazy.
    Thanks, Renn! We will see... I just found out I made at least the first round of cuts... phone interview on Monday!! To say I am unspeakably excited would be the understatement of the century! I *literally* cried when I got the email.

Any other favorite jobs y'all can tell me about? I'm enjoying reading about so many happy employees. It gives me hope that soon I'll be in a position like that!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Palomino Hunter View Post
    Thanks, Renn! We will see... I just found out I made at least the first round of cuts... phone interview on Monday!! To say I am unspeakably excited would be the understatement of the century! I *literally* cried when I got the email.
    Well, I knew they weren't crazy. Congrats!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I loved being a summer camp counselor. I did it for years and still go back to assist with groups in fall/spring as necessary. I like seeing kids "get it" or having their first experience with a horse. A lot of the campers came from big cities and never had the chance to be outdoors, let alone interact with an animal weighing 1000+ lb.

The camp also does trail rides for a couple of poshy area hotels, so I loved doing the rides and talking to families that had a lot of cool life experiences and stories.

I owe a lot to camp. It was a major part in transforming me from a very angry, bitter child into a semi functional adult. I also met and married my husband there.

I also like my current job working part time/holidays at a vet clinic. It mostly consists of petting the clinic cats since there are usually one or two boarders on the weekends that don't require much effort.