The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tell me about a job you've held that you loved

I recently applied for what is essentially the holy grail of summer internships in my field.

This company gets about 1000 applicants per job opening for regular jobs, vs. about 150 applicants for this internship... so this is my best shot at an "in." Although I managed to avoid saying it in my cover letter, I would gladly give a semi-vital organ or my firstborn for this internship.

They said they'd let those chosen for interviews by mid-February. I know it's technically a bit past "mid-February," but I'm holding out hope!! I emailed the contact person for the internship earlier today, and have having heart palpitations every time I've gotten an email ALL DAY.

THE ANTICIPATION IS KILLING ME.So help distract me, COTHers:

What is the best job (/your favorite) you've ever had? What made it the best/your favorite... pay? coworkers? type of work?

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

My Favorite job EVER was working in the Accounting Dept of a 4-Star hotel.
    People were fun to work with, perks were amazing, including COMP dinners at the best places in town as tradeouts, incredibly low Employee rates at sister properties and fantastic parties for corporate customers that we got to attend as hosts including an awesome Halloween blowout every year.
    Plus, as the business was owned by an airline we flew at 10% of Rack rate - example: RT to Tokyo $220.

It's been nearly 10 years and I'd go back in a heartbeat if I wasn't looking to retire this year.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I was a trailguide at a 5-star resort. The base pay sucked, but I got tipped out the wazoo. Wandering around the woods on horses all day is a job that can't be beat.

2 members found this post helpful.

My job right now. I work for a very small company - 10 employees. All women, every single one of us.

I'm in sales. I do a lot of traveling (this past fall I covered over 27,000 miles in 6 weeks for trade shows). Our office is FUN, and EXCITING - there is always laughter. Pets are welcome, hours are flexible.

It's awesome.
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

Well, I have to admit I loved my job at McDonald's when I was a kid - but I think a few factors played into that. It was a brand new store - nearly all of the original crew were friends before we even started, and the management team was young and fun. It was the ideal first job for a teenager and we all had a great time.

I loved my first job at the old AMP, now Tyco or TE or something. I was in customer service and we had a lot of fun back in those days. Our bosses had high expectations, but because they actually liked their work, it made it easier for us to like our work. I'd love to find a job like that again.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Working manager on a ranch.
    You get to do what needs to be done, when it needs to be done, the way it needs to be done.
    Doesn't pay much, but the benefits are great, room and board in a ranch others pay to spend vacation time in such places.

Those great jobs others post about, with oodles of people around, parties, socializing, traveling, all that alone makes my hair stand on end.
    You can't pay me enough to live like that, but then, I would be horribly lost at those kinds of jobs, in front of customers and the public all the time.

Different strokes ...

1 members found this post helpful.

Overnight Park Service Officer for a large park network (Three Rivers Park District in MN). I moved between 2 or 3 parks using a truck, 4 wheeler, or bike. My shifts were 7pm to 7am. I loved being out in the parks at night.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Equine Insurance Agent

Get to talk about horses all day (granted many horse people are a little nutty, but I can relate!)
    Flexible schedule, and they are VERY understanding about time off for horse shows, etc

I worked in the quality department in the corporate office of a large manufacturing company. I eat, breathed and slept ISO 9000. Got to fly on the company Lear jet to audit other facilities. It was good times. I thought I would retire from there.

Then the economy started sliding, all of us got laid off, jet is gone, company now owned by Japanese firm and has drastically downsized.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

I loved my job at a gymnastics center. I could teach a bit, do some marketing, advertising, long range planning, curriculum development, pretty much whatever I wanted to try. Pay wasn't wonderful, but adequate, short day on Fridays (after camp dismissed) in the summer which was lovely. We followed school closings, so no driving in iffy weather, closed for most school holidays.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

checking ID badges at the library late at night. Basically got paid a lot of money to sit in a comfy chair and read novels.

2 members found this post helpful.

Prosecutor in Fulton County (Atlanta) for over 20 yrs. The thrill of victory was much better than the agony of defeat, but trial work was fun and so gratifying when the victims and witnesses and cops all were happy at the results.

Unlike some of the guys, I went out on the streets with my cops and victims and witnesses, went into the projects and did stakeouts, and did everything that was involved to get a case to completion successfully. It was not like on TV. Grand jury 2x a week and I got 1/12 of all of all cases indicted each week, so my jail list had to be pled out or tried. It was more like Hill Street Blues with many courtroom scenes added. We were #1 in homicides for some of those years, so i got to investigate and try lots of murder cases. And the Atlanta Homicide Detectives' motto was "Our day begins when yours ends."

And I only took the job at first to get trial experience. Turned out to be fun and gratifying. Although it always interfered in personal relationships. Men, including trial attorneys, were intolerant of my being on trial at midnight or on a weekend. After retirement from Atlanta, working for the state as prosecutor was only gratifying part time. In Atlanta, it was gratifying full time.

ETA: I did want to be a rock and roll singer though!

Y'all are going to really think I am nuts.
    I enjoyed the first 8 years as a tech support rep for income tax prep sotware. It was exhausting but we were constantly being challenged to think.
    I had been there about 5 years when we got a new CEO from GE and he really piled on the pressure. He never let us forget that we were an EXPENSE and didn't contribute to the company(while fawning all over sales). Of course we were important enough to be expected to work 60-80 hours a week while he bragged about finishing his work to play golf in the afternoons.

I quit
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I worked in the Advertising/PR department for a motorcycle manufacturer, in the corporate office. It was so much fun, and they treated me like gold. They even flew me out of town to learn to ride a motorcycle one weekend. One Friday night at 5 I was told to be at NBC studios in Burbank the next morning to be on a children's show, modeling what to wear to be safe when riding a motorcycle, so I got to shop til I dropped for all new clothes and boots, plus helmet and sweater from their team supply. It was a great job.

There was a time when I got paid to act. (stage)

Unfortunately those gigs were few and far between, and there are far more people who want to act than there are jobs for all those people - many of whom were significantly more attractive than me. (sad but true)

Then I got tired of being poor and went back to grad school. Now I push papers in a cube all day, but I can afford a horse.
    Last edited by PaintPony; Feb. 23, 2013 at 01:23 AM.

I loved being a summer camp counselor. Sometimes I dream of opening a summer camp.

no one believes me, but with one exception, I have loved every job I have had. That is not to say that they were all sunshine and roses, with no dysfunctions, but I have never had the hatred & dread about going to work that I have heard ppl describe.

I did, however, have that about junior high.

I love teaching, I loved working in barns, I loved being a grad student/researcher, I loved working 12 hour days at the state fair...mostly it was b/c I worked with people that I liked. at the barns, I worked on my own, but, you know...horses.

I didn't like working at the Gap (embarassing confession...it was the 90s, what do you want?)

and there the ppl were actually ok, but my poor manager got shite from higher ups in the company for things over which she had no control. To use the standard MBA jargon, workers were not empowered. You had to ask permission to use the bathroom (no, not "I'm going to step out for 2 secs, FYI", but actually ask for permission).

One of the colleges I worked for had the absolute worst conspiring, evil admins, but the students & staff/faculty were all great. If I had stayed there, however, it might have gotten ugly.

Air Traffic Controller; enjoyed the tower work but radar was just a wild video game

LOTS of job openings now.... twenty years and you can retire at 55... paid training and once quilified $120,000 is pretty easy to hit

i loveddd working for the CA state park system in my late teens. i was at sugar pine state park on the maintenance team. basically we cleaned campground bathrooms and campsites, but we had SO MUCH FUN. i worked with really cool people and we were outside moving around all day...can't beat that!

2nd place would go to the 3 trail guiding jobs i've had over the years. i loved talking to all the tourists (grew up in south lake tahoe, a tourist mecca) and of course being around horses all day.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

I always subscribed to the Dutch maxim, "Bloom where you're planted." (I worked for the bulk of my career for Akzo, NC, a Dutch firm, and both those Dutch in the division as well as those in central corporate, claimed never to have heard of that 19th century proverb.)

I came to love my job after fifteen or more years, but the simple fact is that had I not needed the paycheck, I wouldn't have been eager to go in each Monday, and when the management became French-owned -- the more profit you made for them, the nastier they became -- I detested it. One of the three graces of my life was to dump that life when I was 53 and work on my own terms for myself.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein