The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default OK, ladies...bra help (never thought i'd need to go there, but...)

I have a problem with bra straps sliding off my shoulders. I've tried shortening, lengthening them, different sizes, nothing works. What am I doing wrong? Have I just not found the right size for me? Or do I just not have enough shoulder? It happens all the time, but I'm really tired of trotting around trying to fix my bra strap or cantering down to a jump with the strap around my arm! Thanks!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

UGH this happens to me so much too! I have fairly sloping shoulders and a shorter-than-average torso so apparently the distance from my boob to shoulder is too short for most bra straps So no advice, just commiserating.

This happens to me too! I thought I was crazy.
    Save The Date 08-15-2011

I hate this. I find that wearing a sports bra is the only way I can avoid it.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

2 members found this post helpful.

This used to happen to me... then I found my two god sends. The Armour bra from UA is awesome and also basically anything from title 9 works really well for riding.
    but in a normal bra... I have no advice.
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

1 members found this post helpful.

You can get convertible bras that let you cross the straps. Natori makes nice ones.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have switch to Essential Bodyworks sports bras.... what a difference!!!

If your straps are sliding off your shoulders and you're sure they're not simply too loose, you could be wearing too large of a cup size.

I'm inclined to think your bra doesn't correctly fit, but there are little silicone things you can get for your bra straps to keep them up.

Quote Originally Posted by dappled View Post
    If your straps are sliding off your shoulders and you're sure they're not simply too loose, you could be wearing too large of a cup size.
    Hmm.. see, I have small B's and this happens to me! LOL
    Save The Date 08-15-2011

Most bra brands have a racerback style (straps cross in the back)which prevent the straps from falling. It doesn't have to be a sport bra or any specific brand.

Sports bras while riding! Really is the best way. Even since I had breast reduction, it's the only way to guarantee there are no issues with the "girls".

Quote Originally Posted by BK6756 View Post
    Most bra brands have a racerback style (straps cross in the back)which prevent the straps from falling. It doesn't have to be a sport bra or any specific brand.
    Yes, this is the answer. Some people's shoulders are just more sloping, which contributes to the problem. Lots of options out there in a racerback style, someone mentioned Natori whose bras I love.

1. Get a professional bra fitting. I can't stress enough how important this is to get a bra that fits well, works best for your body, and performs as expected. Most women wear bands too large and cups too small which ruins the base the bra relies on for support.

2. A very well fitted sports bra should not fall down off the shoulder. My go to bra in my store (yes, I do this for a living) is the Anita style 5527. The cup runs small, so you might have to go up a size. It does not have a racerback, but the straps are wide and padded, and have never, ever slid off my shoulders (which I struggle with in daily bras). Also consider options from Panache or Shock Absorber.

When I have a "fresh" bra on, my trainer can always tell. I sit up taller and ride better. I am a 32H, for a little perspective.

Any other questions, feel free to PM. I don't want to violate any board polices.

I agree that a racer-back sports bra is the way to go. I don't like the compression type. I have to have mine "lift and separate"! I even have a few with an underwire, but sports model. I'm a B on a good day.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Stop wearing a regular bra to ride and get a sports bra
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Ok, looks like I'll have to break down and try racerbacks or criss-cross. I just hate the feel of them between my shoulder blades. i just didn't know if there was a common size mistake that might contribute to it. Thanks!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    I agree that a racer-back sports bra is the way to go. I don't like the compression type. I have to have mine "lift and separate"! I even have a few with an underwire, but sports model. I'm a B on a good day.
    that's why I've been trying to find a regular type bra to ride in. Sports bras don't help me at all in the eq department. And, fewer clothing items to change after work is a nice bonus

Sports bra, razorbacks, or those little plastic things that convert regular bras to razorbacks.

I was having that problem when I tried to ride in my "regular" bras. So annoying.

I now wear a sports bra from Champion that I love. Have never had it slip off & everything is held in quite well.

http://www.championusa.com/workout-c...ra?cm_vc=OSSZ1

Before the girls got a little bigger, I used to wear this one & never had problems either.

http://www.championusa.com/workout-c...ra?cm_vc=OSSZ1
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"