The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

In the mornings, cat waits until the first person needs to use the toilet and then beats you happily to it and makes you wait, legs crossed, chanting "cat, are you thru, hurry, I really, really need to go!"

In the evening, sit down to read, news come on at 10 pm, now over, time to go to bed:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...o/Missy2-1.jpg

Cat is NOT asleep, is faking, pinning me down, daring me to move.
    Grandma, laughing, took the picture.

That was repeated every day, for years.
    Sure miss my cat.

2 members found this post helpful.

Another Bubba routine: Several times per night, he MUST come over and drape himself across my neck. Then we both go back to sleep. No fun in the summer time, great in winter! I unfortunately "taught" him this when he was a tiny kitten.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    Another Bubba routine: Several times per night, he MUST come over and drape himself across my neck. Then we both go back to sleep. No fun in the summer time, great in winter! I unfortunately "taught" him this when he was a tiny kitten.
    Ooh, I want a Strangler Cat.

I have always heard folks complaining about these (right after they talk about how much it sucks to be a size 2 and have a fat trust fund, as these are all clearly in the same category of "problem").

How did you teach Bubba kitten?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

"A Strangler Cat!" LOL! I just took him to bed with me every single night from the time he came home at 8 weeks. I'd put him on my chest but he apparently thought the neck was a better place. HAD to have him firmly on my side of the bed because husband was deathly afraid of rolling over on him and crushing him. As a marrofact, as I recall husband slept in the guest bedroom for quite a while because of this fear.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    As a marrofact
    That's awesome.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Morning rituals: Wake up several hours before alarm clock goes off by the dulcet tones of purring in my ear, a sneeze or tail to the face, four point full bladder (or boob) pounce, or the sensation of having my hair gnawed on. Pull blanket over head and ignore kitten.

Eventually wake up at alarm. Play fetch with kitten since he always brings me a toy to throw. Stumble into bathroom to have both cats watch me pee. Well, the little guy watches me pee (to make sure I can?) while the old fuzz sits on my foot and keeps it warm. Both will assume the position to receive the getting-out-the-door bribes so I can go to work in the morning. Half a dozen jerky treats and I can sneak out without having to herd cats back into the house from the porch.

Evening rituals: Get home and be swarmed at door by Little Man (9mos) and Old Fuzz (12yrs). Hang out around litter boxes till Little Man's excitement abates and he'll use them else he'll use the carpet in whatever room I'm in. Evening festivities always include at least one velcro cat, sometimes two. Nothing like being pinned down by 20 plus pounds of collective feline.

1 members found this post helpful.

Simba Blue is also fascinated by human sneezes. He chirps and
    runs to the person. Looks them right in the eye when he chirps,
    so maybe it's "Bless you"?

Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post

Evening rituals: Get home and be swarmed at door by Little Man (9mos) and Old Fuzz (12yrs). Hang out around litter boxes till Little Man's excitement abates and he'll use them else he'll use the carpet in whatever room I'm in. Evening festivities always include at least one velcro cat, sometimes two. Nothing like being pinned down by 20 plus pounds of collective feline.
    That's effective training: Either you hang out by the litter box or there's pee to pay! And that's how it comes to be a daily thing: You show up religiously.

Oh, and a good spin-off is in here, too.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

My cats routines pretty much fit perfectly with my parents....Lightning lies on the couch (or usually, on top of Dad) while Dad enjoys his evening beer/tv watching. Kitty would probably drink the beer if given the opportunity, lol! The other one, Tigger, gardens with my mom...she's said many times she wishes she could teach Tigger to dig. Sadly he couldn't even if it was possible because he was declawed before we got him .
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenAcres View Post
    Simba Blue is also fascinated by human sneezes. He chirps and
    runs to the person. Looks them right in the eye when he chirps,
    so maybe it's "Bless you"?
    Wow, so there are at least a few other cats in the world that share this weird enthusiasm. Maybe they do want to wish us health. My cat, like yours, gives the impression that she thinks sneezing is "fascinating." I think her fascination with sneezing is fascinating, so it is like we have a positive feedback loop of fascination going on. I'm glad cats find some random human habits obscurely charming, since the reverse is certainly well documented!

One of mine has a thing for wet hair. I towel dry it, then sit on the couch and let it air dry for about 20 minutes (it's really thick!). Cat sits on the back of the couch and alternately rubs her face against it and bites big mouthfuls. Every. Single Time. The only problem is when she grabs the hair too close to the scalp--ouch!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

^^

So while your hair is drying *someone* is putting cat spit on it?

I have had my cat give me "Yo. I'm here. Pet me" love bites on the head. I like it, but why bite my hair and then act pissed that you have hair in your mouth? Why hair? It's not like fur.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Didn't think about the cat spit!!!! What the heck ---it's cheaper than gel, right?
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    That's effective training: Either you hang out by the litter box or there's pee to pay! And that's how it comes to be a daily thing: You show up religiously.
    I know, he has me trained well. I just try not to make a huge fuss out of him when I get home. He gets one head rub then I leave him be till after his potty break. It's usually not too much of a big deal for me since my routine after work keeps me fairly close to the litter boxes (bathroom, change clothes, start dinner, etc).

I think he spends all day napping when I'm not home, then gets so excited to see Things Happening he thinks he'll miss out while spending time in the litter box.

Quote Originally Posted by chestnutmarebeware View Post
    Didn't think about the cat spit!!!! What the heck ---it's cheaper than gel, right?
    This needs to be quoted somewhere.

One of mine would come running if I whistled. She would climb up my lap and stretch to my face. Reading her anxious expression she thought whistling was a death bed rattle and she wanted to help me.

Oh, Chall, I had one like that too! It was THE surefire way to get him to come to me.