The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spin-off in honor of Petey: Daily rituals with cat

What are some good ones, preferably instigated by the cat?

I'll start: Aging dad of a friend was brought a cat by his daughter. He didn't want a cat but did want to eat cereal every morning. Pretty soon the big huge tabby joined him. And the two men had their thing: Cereal first thing before anyone else got up. The cat did this every day until the guy passed.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Cats are very good at routines, I think.

Interestingly enough, my cat and my DH had a cereal deal, too. DH fixes a bowl with a "little extra" cereal and milk in it. He has his portion and then handed it over to his little furry friend. (Yes, sigh, that is the cat we lost recently.) Neither of us can even *look* at cereal at the moment without crying.

Other rituals: Evening is for TV (DH) and laptop/internet surfing (me.) This takes place most weekday evenings while we sprawl out on the couch in the den. Owen's "spot" was on the back of the couch at my right shoulder, while his brother Mac lays on the couch in between us. Now that Owen is gone, Mac won't even get ON the couch His new spot is laying on the carpet next to the couch... Sigh.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Aww, Lucasb, so sorry. Mine all have rituals. Oliver must. absolutely. get THREE servings of breakfast (canned food). If I'm home during the day, around 10:30 he starts pestering me for lunch. All 4 cats follow me back upstairs to the bedroom after their breakfast to assist me in my toilette.

Bubba, the youngest and most exuberant, will follow me or DH around the house like a dog. When I get home from work, he races to me and MUST. be. petted. and then rolls over on his back for tummy rubs. Lots of them. When his Dad gets home, Bub must immediately have a Dad lap.

I don't know what would be stranger - not having my husband around or not having the cats around. Husband is gone at times for work and I HATE it. Have never been without at least two cats, ever.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

One of my barn cats (well, barn cat who spends 90% of her time in the house in the winter ) goes outside with me to feed the horses every morning and evening. She climbs around on the hay while I do my chores, and then runs back to the house with me.

However, maybe she doesn't like this routine, since I think she is trying to kill me. She constantly runs up and down the stairs in front of me and crosses in front of me!

My cat Nick is flirting with barn cat-dom. He has the option of living in the house, but usually prefers the barn. Every night when I come down to feed he meets me at the gate. The horses meet me, too. He'll run in front of me and plop down, rolling on his back. Then he looks up and "oh, s#!t! - BIG HORSE ABOUT TO STEP ON ME!" runs forward a few feet and plop down and roll on his back. Lather, rinse, repeat. He'll nearly get trampled about 5 times before we get to the barn, the horses get fed and he gets his scritchies.

StG

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    Oliver must. absolutely. get THREE servings of breakfast (canned food).
    I don't know what would be stranger - not having my husband around or not having the cats around. Husband is gone at times for work and I HATE it. Have never been without at least two cats, ever.
    Are those the "brefusses" you taught him about?

And perhaps DH and cat have worked out a shift schedule so as to keep you company. It takes a village.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Other rituals: Evening is for TV (DH) and laptop/internet surfing (me.) This takes place most weekday evenings while we sprawl out on the couch in the den. Owen's "spot" was on the back of the couch at my right shoulder, while his brother Mac lays on the couch in between us. Now that Owen is gone, Mac won't even get ON the couch His new spot is laying on the carpet next to the couch... Sigh.
    Mac is in mourning! A cat not getting on the furniture-- lowering himself-- is psychic pain. Have you guys picked him up and lovingly reinstalled him on the couch?

Oh, and remember the Warner Brothers cartoon, "Feed the Kitty" with Marc Anthony the bulldog and the black-n-white kitten he has found? Marc Anthony thinks the mistress of the house has baked kitten into a cookie and won't eat it. He cries. I cried.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

My sweet little brat cat must be carried to her food bowl for breakfast. She will be sitting by her dish crying, but the second you get out the canned food, she jumps onto the counter and waits to be carried to her food dish. Never mind the fact fat-cat is scarfing down her breakfast, she *must* be carried!
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Never mind the fact fat-cat is scarfing down her breakfast, she *must* be carried!
    Wha? So if you leave the cat apart from the food, she'll sit there and scream for her ride those last five feet?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Wha? So if you leave the cat apart from the food, she'll sit there and scream for her ride those last five feet?
    Yes. She doesn't scream though, just very sweetly squeaks and rubs on you until you pick her up and put her by the food dish. Silly cat *leaves* the food dish, so that she can be carried back to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Every morning my Roxi cat HAS to go into the bathroom with me. Absolutely must! Where then she likes to circle around, placing her paws on my legs mewling/purring with her biggest anime eyes. Doesn't matter if DH has fed her, every single morning.

Eddie cat likes to sleep on my pillow. The alarm goes off, BAM, he's off like lightening! This occurs even though DH usually hits the snooze at least once, you'd think he'd learn to wait until the covers were thrown off.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliodoro View Post
    Eddie cat likes to sleep on my pillow. The alarm goes off, BAM, he's off like lightening! This occurs even though DH usually hits the snooze at least once, you'd think he'd learn to wait until the covers were thrown off.
    My cat figures out when I'm awake and then comes in for love. If I don't pet her, she paws my face.

As soon as I'm out of bed, she's expecting me to feed her, but she seems to want attention before that.... no matter how long it takes. And she doesn't wake me up. There are cats who do, so considering the possibilities, I think we got good ones.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Mac is in mourning! A cat not getting on the furniture-- lowering himself-- is psychic pain. Have you guys picked him up and lovingly reinstalled him on the couch?

Oh, and remember the Warner Brothers cartoon, "Feed the Kitty" with Marc Anthony the bulldog and the black-n-white kitten he has found? Marc Anthony thinks the mistress of the house has baked kitten into a cookie and won't eat it. He cries. I cried.
    Sadly yes, Mac is mourning his brother. He goes out without fail every morning and looks for him... he does a tour of all of Owen's usual spots at night before he goes to bed. It breaks my heart. I do pick him up and try to settle him on the couch in his usual place but he won't stay there (yet, anyway.) He clearly appreciates the hugs and sticks very close by (and sleeps glued to my side) but he misses his brother. They spent their entire lives together so I am sure there is a big piece of his heart missing right now, poor guy.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I'm sorry for all the people who have a cat shaped hole in their lives right now. I will give my tiger an extra cuddle tonight.

Our cat Spike has a variety of rituals, some of which have earned him the nick-name 'the tabby terror'

Wake-up rituals: begins with 'mrp! brp!' then the trouble really starts. He sits on the bedside tables and knocks everything off. He will rummage through the wardrobe, going 'mrp! brp!' the whole time (he can open sliding doors, or anything that's not latched tight). If there are any plastic bags available he has to rustle through them. Then it's time for laundry basket diving - we put the dirty clothes in a tall wicker basket - perfect for diving into and tipping over, complete with mrpping.

The absolute worst is the latest trick. He sits on the low bedhead and pops our heads with his paws, the claws just slightly out. Not scratching - just kind of 'prick!'

The good side of this is that if you forget to turn your alarm on he will promptly wake you at the same time every morning

Bed-time rituals: this is the cute end of the day. If he thinks it's bed time and we've been up too long he will sit by the door and go 'mrp! brup!' until we make a move towards bed. Then he will supervise all bathroom activity and will finally sit on the bed purring and mrrping until someone gets into the bed. He likes to sleep draped over an arm or a leg, in a particularly uncomfortable looking way, preferably between you and your book.

He's pretty cute Even when he is the tabby terror.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Feliz View Post
    Wake-up rituals: begins with 'mrp! brp!' then the trouble really starts. He sits on the bedside tables and knocks everything off. He will rummage through the wardrobe, going 'mrp! brp!' the whole time (he can open sliding doors, or anything that's not latched tight). If there are any plastic bags available he has to rustle through them. Then it's time for laundry basket diving - we put the dirty clothes in a tall wicker basket - perfect for diving into and tipping over, complete with mrpping.

The absolute worst is the latest trick. He sits on the low bedhead and pops our heads with his paws, the claws just slightly out. Not scratching - just kind of 'prick!'
    At least that cat is putting some energy into his work. No slacker cat in that tabby.

My cat has the claw/paw problem, too! I think it might be an anatomical thing rather than an intentional thing. When they reach straight out--like Adam and God getting finger to finger on the Sistine Chapel-- do the ends of their fingers/toes just have to have the claw right there?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Oh, the rituals. My one cat came up with a ritual that is unique as far as I know. Amateur behaviorists, I'd love to know what you think of this one. When she was about a year and a half old, she started taking great interest in my sneezes. On the relatively rare occasions I sneeze, wherever I might be in the house and whatever I might be doing, she will come running to me and make a big display of affection; if I'm sitting at a desk, for example, she'll want to rub her face against my face or hands. Sometimes she gets so happy about my sneezes that she'll make a little chirp noise when she comes running up. The first few times she did this I noted her behavior but I didn't understand what was going on (it's not like I sneeze *that* often). When I gradually put two and two together I was... nonplussed. It was so weird / gross / hilarious / endearing as to be scarcely believable. But she is now three and exhibits this behavior very consistently to this day. I have four other cats, none of whom have ever shown the slightest interest in a sneeze. Cat people, help me out. What is up with that???

Lucassb - that's very sad for Mac.

Big Grey Hunter - your kitteh is silly

MVP - nope, it's pretty deliberate, but kind of funny, all the same. He's very gentle, this is the only time claws are ever involved.

Sooty tats - haven't heard anything like that!

His other rituals are helping in the garden - especially weeding and raking/sweeping when pouncing is compulsory, helping with newspapers, laptops, reports - he has to sit on the table/desk right in the way. We do all adore him, he's very much part of every day.

Nothing better than gardening for a cat. It's like the "parallel play" that toddlers do. Cats like it when we are down on the ground with them outside, but not messing with them.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Another one:

My friend's old cat, Simon, would walk on you while you were watching TV. (Many cats will place themselves between you and the book you are reading.) But Simon would bite you on the nose if you ignored him. Oh, he'd sit there for a good long while first. He'd be patient. But there was a limit! And the bite was a soft, "Um, 'scuse me. Yo...." kind of thing.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat