The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to research bloodine performance

I have an OTTB that I am doing low level eventing with. I have looked up his pedigree via the TB database. But I am curious to see how other horses with similar bloodlines have done. Are they good hunter/jumpers, good eventers, are they know to be calm/stubborn? Is there any sort of online resource to find out how bloodlines have performed (other than as racehorses). Or to find out where horses with similar pedigrees are now?

Thanks

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by ceciley13 View Post
    I have an OTTB that I am doing low level eventing with. I have looked up his pedigree via the TB database. But I am curious to see how other horses with similar bloodlines have done. Are they good hunter/jumpers, good eventers, are they know to be calm/stubborn? Is there any sort of online resource to find out how bloodlines have performed (other than as racehorses). Or to find out where horses with similar pedigrees are now?

Thanks
    It's not easy at all. The USEF allows a search by sire, but it is only sire, and the results are limited to the past 4/5 years, so horses farther back in the pedigree can't be search for results.
    My technique is to do a recording search by sire, and then a results search for each horse that is pulled up. Since I'm most interested in eventing, I tend to look at horses with FEI passports, because that means that the rider either is or is planning to run at the FEI level, which can be as low as Prelim.

There is a Dutch database that I use that has FEI results and pedigrees for its horses. It's very useful. www.equestrian-database.com. Nothing for hunters of course.

This is one of the reasons that American breeding is at such a disadvantage. There is no comprehensive database with long term information available that also tracks mares. For really old information, Dr. Peter Birdsall's 3 volume set, plus one update, from the 1980's is invaluable. Name is Bloodlines of Hunters & Jumpers in North America.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Well, how unfortunate that this kind of information isn't more readily available! I am just full of idle curiosity, but how much easier to would be for people to make educated decisions on where TB prospects would do well in careers other than racing.

I am totally new to the TB world, and know nothing about pedigrees. Anyone, with more knowlage than me, willing to let me PM them my boy's pedigree and give me some feedback. Maybe point me towards some other horses with similar backgrounds?

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

There are a lot of us on this board who love TBs and have decided opinions about which lines are good for sport. If you post here, we might be able to opine.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    It's not easy at all. The USEF allows a search by sire, but it is only sire, and the results are limited to the past 4/5 years, so horses farther back in the pedigree can't be search for results.
    My technique is to do a recording search by sire, and then a results search for each horse that is pulled up. Since I'm most interested in eventing, I tend to look at horses with FEI passports, because that means that the rider either is or is planning to run at the FEI level, which can be as low as Prelim.

There is a Dutch database that I use that has FEI results and pedigrees for its horses. It's very useful. www.equestrian-database.com. Nothing for hunters of course.

This is one of the reasons that American breeding is at such a disadvantage. There is no comprehensive database with long term information available that also tracks mares. For really old information, Dr. Peter Birdsall's 3 volume set, plus one update, from the 1980's is invaluable. Name is Bloodlines of Hunters & Jumpers in North America.
    Hi Vinery
    Nasty day here at the farm which has given me time to sit at my computer. Have been meaning to thank you for the information/links you sent me. It also made me appreciate the vast amount of information and statistics on Thoroughbred racing and breeding that is so easily available these days. But I remember well when learning the “business” side of racing and breeding how different it was when I started.
    I worked in the pedigree department of the British Bloodstock Agency in Ireland. All of the pedigrees had to be researched and or updated manually. One of my tedious jobs was to take the sales catalogues and enter the hip # of the 3 dams under their families in the English Stud Book. The Library was full of sales catalogues and reference books going back years. For a quick reference you would look up a dam in the Stud Book, the Bible the date of entry and a reference book would be penciled in. Updates and or starting a new pedigree had to be thoroughly researched, The Return of Mares, Horses In Training, Time Form, Weatherby’s, The Sporting Life, various sales catalogs from all sides of the pond. This was all hand written and given to someone to type up. Some pedigrees took a long time. But you definitely memorize a lot of stuff this way. My office days started at the tail end of the teletype machines and it took the operator a long time to pound a pedigree out when it had to be sent ASAP.
    Pedigrees via the internet became available around the mid 80’s, dial up and the use of a “dumb” terminal and thermal paper. God sent. As more and more information, information that had only been available to well connected agents, became easily available it definitely changed the dynamics of the business.