The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Speak to me of: Pomeranians

Any Pom people out there?

Tell me all about them!
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

They love to bark and they're extremely fuzzy. Cute, spunky, loyal... but the barking and yapping I've experienced with poms I have known are too much for me.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

We adopted an older Pom from our shelter last summer. He really isn't very barky, is quite independent, fuzzy and has LOTS of health problems. Do some research, as Poms have inherited health issues (tracheal collapse, heart murmurs, alopecia, horrible teeth)....sigh...ours has all but the hair loss!. Oh, and ours now has degenerative disc disease! Yippee! Despite all his issues, he's funny, spunky, adorable and manages to not get squished out in the barn with the horses. He's only 10 pounds, but seems like a bigger boy due to his personality.

I will say, that through diet (grain free dog food), light exercise and removing rotten teeth/pain meds for his pack, he's a much healthier and happier dog than when we got him.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Great big watch dog in a tiny fuzzy body.

Which is why they yap/bark a lot. They're territorial and protective. It's just that nobody told them they're ankle-biter size instead of "sic 'em!" size!

I do NOT like little dogs in general...well, not to say I don't like them as much as have no use for them. Where I live anything under 25 lbs is a snack for something else as soon as it goes outside. However, if I ever had the right place and didn't require a working dog the Pom is the ONLY little dog I'd want.

Just don't treat one like a purse puppy, train it like an actual dog and it'll be fine. Don't think "nipping" is cute because it's little. And they're really smart, so train it from a young age what "quiet" or "quit it" means when they over-exercise their yappers. And be very very very careful where you get one from. Little dogs are wicked popular and tons of morons breed them everywhere. Simple way a person living in a 500 sf apartment can make hundreds of bucks on little, fertile doggies. make sure it's a reputable breeder with parents chosen for health and personality!

They come in sizes and colors too, BTW. Oh, and if you get one...promise you'll get it a teddy bear clip and post photos????
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

1 members found this post helpful.

They can be wonderful little dogs...they do need to be treated like dogs though!

The majority are very sweet, the one I had was the devil . If you get them from a breeder, please make sure there have been no issues with collaping tracheas. We have seen 3 in the past week present in respiratory distress or unfortunatley no longer alive due to severe tracheal collapse. Its very common in pomeranians, so best to help your chances by finding lines who have had no history of the problem.

Good luck with your pom search...you find a cute one and no one will be able to resist squishing it!!

Loved the agility poms.

I have no interest in a purse dog, but would like to have a companion animal again. Don't get me wrong, the various hounds have been a hoot, but I'd like something whose main goal in life is to be with me, not following its nose.

I'm not sure it's the right breed for us, and Mr riv seems against them, but man, they are cute.

This guy Cherokee caught my eye because of the color. But they're mostly all adorable balls of fluff. http://1113200.rescueme.org/
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

I have a cream pom. He's my most chill, 'no worries' dog. A little barky, but not bad. Very smart! I wouldn't mind another one, if it came from a good breeder.

Aside from the trachea issues mentioned above, I see bad knees, thyroid problems, and coat problems ("black skin disease") in a disproportionate number of the poms that come in for grooming. Some of them are 'fluffier' than others - they all need regular brushing, but the fluffy ones even more so. They can have massive amounts of undercoat and you have to stay on top of it. With poms, more so than other double-coated breeds, I see coat growth issues in dogs that had to be shaved. You don't want them getting matted!

I had an elderly pom die in my arms at a kennel I was working at-she had a heart attack, I saw her in distress and by the time I carried her up to the vets she had passed. I remember the elderly couple that owned her thanked me several times for holding her as she died... She fit my pom profile but her people sure loved her.

I knew a sheep rancher lady once that had a little Pom that went with her everywhere. Z took her role as a guard dog very seriously and I can remember many a conversation that we left with ringing headaches b/c the dog yapped the whole dang time! LOL She never did learn to just go be quiet. But she did learn to herd sheep-she worked alongside the aussies when we worked sheep and was pretty good at it.

Same little Z dog got picked up by an eagle once too-the owner saw it happen and then saw the eagle drop the dog down by the creek, about 100 yards away. She was uninjured from the fall (all that fuzz!) but covered in talon scratches and took lots of stitches and antibiotics to recover. The vet could not believe she survived. Bald eagles are a PITA to a sheep rancher. They usually steal baby lambs but in that case they stole a pom!

I might not be the best person to ask because I have been told my Pom is not typical for her breed, but she is the best dog I have ever owned! Insanely friendly, loves everyone and everything but is still protective of her territory whether it actually belongs to her or not! She got an A++++ on her puppy test (flip them on their back and hold them there and observe) which may account for her wonderful personality. If I could find another one even remotely as awesome as her I would have nothing but Poms from here on out!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Laurie-our boy (called Hoot for his tracheal collapse goose honking cough that he came with...much better now!) is perfectly content to be carried about like a baby on his back! He is super mellow, very happy to follow us around outside, but also likes to go explore (and he fits through our fences, darn it!). Would I have another? Yes, but I'd definitely get it from a quality breeder. Mr. CC is in charge of brushing, which is adorable as they have a conversation during it which consists of macho Mr. CC baby talking and Hoot grumbling in low growls the whole time. Very cute.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!