The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default All other things being equal;

good mover, great jump, attractive, makes the strides, could a paint horse (half TB) get pinned in the hunter divisions at an AA show? Could it win with the best trip, or would that just be impossible? (I had a bit of a discussion about this, and since I'm not showing at the bigger shows, I really didn't know.)

Yes. If the horse has a superior trip/movement/everything to the rest of the competition, it will win. There are horses of color, especially at 3' and below, that do very well at A and AA shows. Which isn't to say a paint couldn't do very well above 3': you just don't see paints in those rings very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    good mover, great jump, attractive, makes the strides, could a paint horse (half TB) get pinned in the hunter divisions at an AA show? Could it win with the best trip, or would that just be impossible? (I had a bit of a discussion about this, and since I'm not showing at the bigger shows, I really didn't know.)
    Absolutely.
    Everyone is running from something. Especially this person I'm chasing.

I would say it was almost more likely to win since it stood out so much.

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes, no problem
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Paint warmbloods are actually very fasionable in the hunter ring....

There was a gorgeous pinto of some sort at my barn for a very long time - he got passed around the younger girls looking to move from ponies/SS into the 3' - and he ALWAYS won CH/RC in his division at the year end awards. (Of course, they're non-rated divisions but it was at A/AA shows.) When the last of them was ready to move up again he sold in .25 seconds because he was such a successful hunter.

We have some gorgeous paint and paint crosses that show at the big shows around here. I ride one of them! Judges love her.
    Siostra Marketing
    Professional writer/photographer.

There is a lovely pinto by the name of Sunman who does very well in the 3'6 equitation, I believe he even won the Maclay at Devon last year. Not exactly hunters, but shows that a paint can do very well if it's got the qualities of a winning horse.

The one GOOD thing about a paint or very flashy horse is...the judge remembers him. The one BAD thing about a paint or flashy horse is...the judge remembers him!!! If you're going to stand out and be remembered..you BETTER be good!!! I think a a paint has the WOW factor going for him. Times have changed from the conservative plain bays in the show ring.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm really happy to hear that a good one can be successful. I showed a paint in the 1st year greens many years ago, and the judge loved him. In fact, he bought him after the show and shipped him East. So, glad I was correct. I will try so hard not to gloat when I speak with her again.

As others have said, yep, totally possible.

There seem to be more and more pinto warmbloods around, but in this area there seem to be a lot of "Paint Rejects" - who carry themselves in a very lovely manner, long and flowing strides, good form over fences, who do not have a low headset and therefore are rejected by those showing breed shows and do fabulously in hunters. Most people assume WB or something, too, for the ones who really fit the job.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed