The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I think all this speculation is entertaining but not very useful. We need to see a video if you want an opinion that is more accurate.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternative1 View Post
    Sorry, but 20k sounds pretty high to me for this type of horse. I certainly would not spend 20k on something that has a lead change that is only sometimes there, bucks on the backside of a fence if you get a bad distance, and has dealt with EPM before. BTW do you know how expensive it is to treat EPM? Treatment with Marquis is about $600-800 for a 4 week supply. Relapse can happen at any time. Also, she did say that he was "quite" sound, not completely sound after the stifle injury. The chips are no big deal as tons of horses end up having those removed. I would not pay more than $5000 for this horse.
    Read. I said $20k without the EPM.

Sent your way couture tb . Hope your clients may like one. There are plenty more though.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

OK all I must say, down in the GA area there are very nice horses for $10-$15,000

8-10k for a 3' horse in the GA area. If he could do well at GHJA finals, he could go for a few thousand more.

Sounds similar to my last guy. He was 12-13, not always great on lead changes (would get them but you had to make sure he was straight and ready for them) had 2 suspensories but always sound jumping 3'3 and under. Placed well in hunter/eq/jumpers at A (gold)rated shows. Scar on his hoof from an over reach injury, which never bothered him as long as he had regular shoes on (but did need regular shoes). Sold him for 9000

At the end of the day, a horse is worth exactly how much you're willing to pay for it. If you find some sucker who's willing to pay 25k on this horse (and I'm sure you could find one) then it would be worth 25k. If you find someone that thinks its only worth 500 bucks then that's what he's worth to them.
    This summer I rode a dirty stopper who was the winner at the 3' (if he would go around) and could do the 3'6" but wasn't The Winner every time. To me he was worth next to nothing, someone ended up buying him for 125k.
    I would say between 3-7k but you never know, it just depends on who's looking for what.
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

2 members found this post helpful.

around here, a horse like that would probably go for $3-7k, depending on who was buying.

Thank you for everyone's thoughts, I really appreciate them. To clarify a few things:

He's 11 this year.

He is between 16.2 and 16.3, I haven't measured him in a while. I have always found < and > to be confusing so it seems I used to wrong one. He's not small and has passed for a WB before, but is a lighter build.

He doesn't buck on just any bad distance, and in giving lessons and doing the crossrails and 2' with some kids has actually been quite forgiving. What I said is that if the rider makes a mistake and punishes him for it, he will get sassy. As in, the rider makes a mistake on a distance and then jacks him in the teeth...or the rider is unclear in asking for a transition and then spanks him for not responding.

A few days before my surgery, I made a big mistake at an oxer and he completely covered my ass while I hung off the side with my useless leg, waiting for me to get back in the saddle. So he has his moments of being more than generous. BUT he has the capacity to be sassy and is sensitive so I would never call him an easy ride.

I have been out of a commission for a while due to an injury, so he's been used part time in a lesson program doing cross rails to 2' lessons. I'll have to look and see if I can dig up a video, a friend taped my last show with him before my surgery but she's yet to give me the videos!

My main concern is finding him a great home. If that means getting some money for him, awesome, if I have to give him away, I'm okay with that.

When he gets funky from the EPM, most people don't or wouldn't notice. I am very detail oriented and know him well, so I do. I wouldn't in good conscience be able to sell him without disclosing it.

People who don't know his history think he's lovely and I am sure that I could get $15-20K for him if it wasn't for all of that. Then I think about all his issues, and know that while I'm used to managing horses and having individual programs, there's a lot there that would (rightly so) make people uncomfortable. It's a hard thing.

He is light on show mileage because of my injury, his injuries and my budget.

ETA here's some pictures....the first three are recent, the rest are from years past.
    http://myhorsephotos.shutterfly.com/48

He's a cute jumper and obviously athletic but not a beginner's horse judging from the photos and your description. Given his age and history of EPM I would say somewhere around $10k would be a fair price.

He looks like a very nice, well bred TB!! He is not the usual petite, stick legs, slab sided, downhill build, miniature feet TB. He also does look super athletic over fences and looks like he is a wonderful jumper! Don't know anything about a price range for you but best of luck to you! I think he would be a nice horse for someone!

While he looks lovely I would just never buy a horse who has has EPM before. Just my taste. Back in CO I was trying to sell my thoroughbred who could do the same things, had no health history and I never even got a bite on him priced at 7,000. Granted I wasn't determined to sell him though.

The EPM is what's throwing me off. I really don't know how to value that. I think it might be like cribbing-- to people who are bothered by it-- it's an absolute "no" and for people who aren't it has a minimal impact on price. More decreases your pool than decreases your price?! I wouldn't buy either, ever, for any price-- but other people do and don't really blink. Given that, I want to say $10,000ish sounds about right in my area, maybe a titch lower due to the senstitivty and lack of consistent show record. Seems like a nice, sellable horse but not a quick or easy sell.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

If you placed an ad, and I spoke to you on the phone about him, I would assess him like this ... he is a well built, nice athletic TB who has been in a lesson program with children at 2' for the last while. He is a reliable packer at 2', but becomes less reliable/forgiving as the fences go up and will require an intermediate rider. He has health issues that are under control, but he is not uncomplicated, and has a bit of a "sassy" streak when things do not go his way.

In my area there are tons of ex-racehorse TB rescue organizations that practically give away the horses to be trained for a second career. Not that all these horses are able to jump, but a knowledgable trainer/rider who it looking for a TB will almost certainly check it out and likely be willing to pay $2,500 max. for one. In fact, we have two of these horse in our barn. They were flashy, willing, relatively uncomplicated in the try-out and they had no health issues. My trainer was able to get them both for free because they required a little bit training from an experienced rider. (Incidentally, they have both shown successfully in the 3' ring at rated and local schooling shows) From what you are describing, in my opinion, the overall quality of your horse, because of his health issues and tempament, is not that much greater than these horses. I would say with his experience and training, you might get $7 to $10 to the right person, but definitely not much more. Personally, I probably wouldn't pay more than $5 as I know I can get a more reliable, 3', healthier horse for about $10 - particularly in this economy. Also, it doesn't sound like he has the potential to become a really successful show horse. He is going to be good for a local rider who wants to show occasionally and is doing it for fun. That rider is not going to be willing to pay $25K + unless it's for the ultimate packer!
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Cute as a button!
    Von Hendrix aka Jimi

Quote Originally Posted by sammicat View Post
    Personally, I probably wouldn't pay more than $5 as I know I can get a more reliable, 3', healthier horse for about $10 - particularly in this economy.
    Where, pray tell, are you finding reliable 3' horses for $10k in New Jersey?

If he's teaching crossrail/2ft lessons, he's not a difficult horse. Maybe not a total 100% packer, but the fact he doesn't tolerate rough riding doesn't make him difficult. Judging by the pictures and added info (16.2-16.3 will definitely increase price), I would guess 10K, up to maybe 15k. I would say 15-205K depending on how he moves, except I have no idea how much EPM effects price.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I appreciate everyone's input! Thanks so much.

I would never buy a horse with an EPM history either, and that's really thrown me off when thinking about selling him.

Really, I wish I could afford to keep ALL of them, but with big ring aspirations, alas, I can't, and he's the most logical one to find a home for at some point, whatever that ends up looking like sale-wise.

So thanks again - and any other opinions welcome!

He's very cute, OP. He has a big jump -- those must be some beginners if he jumps anything like that in the 2' classes! The additional height makes him a lot more marketable these days, so that's good. I think a lot of us are deterred by/thinking low on price because of the EPM. Several posters on here must have good experiences with EPM, and think "EPM, so what? no big deal with management!" while others of us with less good experiences think, "EPM, "management" only works until it doesn't, and at any time he's going to have an episode out of the blue and be a pasture pet forever...racking up years on the feed, vet and farrier bill for nothing". That conception in part is producing the big ranges people are tossing out.

What's his breeding? I'm always curious about TB lines that produce these nice, big-boned, WB-like ones with a good jump.

Market him as "Warmblood cross" and some genius will overlook the EPM (and lip tattoo).

Just kidding. Good luck in your decision
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies