The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

With the addition of pictures, I feel even more confident that you can get at least $10,000 for him (definitely in the Midwest, anyway). I'm telling you, he could be a real find for a good-riding teen that wants to do the 3' stuff and maybe play around in the 3'6" but doesn't have a big budget.

When I was a teenager in that position, the only horses my parents could ever buy had some big "SOMETHING" wrong with them that was a black mark on an otherwise really capable and nice horse. If not for my junior horse that had some maintenance issues, bucked me off a lot, and had a dirty stop in him, I'm not sure I ever would have had the opportunity to show above 2'6". But, as it was, I did get him, he jumped beautifully (you know, so long as you prevented the dirty stop ), and I was able to show and win a fair amount with him in the Childrens and Juniors on the B and A circuits.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think a "clean vetting" horse like yours would realistically go in the 10k-15k range. However, with EPM that will throw a lot of buyers off and may make a substancial change in offers. I personally wouldnt buy, regardless how nice he is just because of personal experiences...but there are also a lot of people out there with good EPM experiences. I think market him for what you think he wouldbe worth without the EPM and see what type of responses you get. He's beautiful.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    I think a "clean vetting" horse like yours would realistically go in the 10k-15k range. However, with EPM that will throw a lot of buyers off and may make a substancial change in offers. I personally wouldnt buy, regardless how nice he is just because of personal experiences...but there are also a lot of people out there with good EPM experiences. I think market him for what you think he wouldbe worth without the EPM and see what type of responses you get. He's beautiful.
    Totally disagree. That horse is worth at least $20,000 without the EPM and other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Totally disagree. That horse is worth at least $20,000 without the EPM and other issues.
    I don't know that I'd go that far. It is a horse with a nice jump (from the photos- we don't know how it moves or how consistently it goes around but let's assume nicely) but it's quirky, has a spotty/inconsistent show record over its lifetime, and a couple of prior injuries issues ASIDE from the EPM that could scare people off when combined with the spotty show record. I think it's a very nice horse. Sellable. I don't know what the EPM will do either way. But would I put a $20,000 price tag on a big, pretty, attractive nearly-aged horse that can do the 3'0 with a hard change and isn't forgiving at that level and has had an inconsistent and light record with physical issues over the years and is currently doing 2'0 and is kind of quirky/unforgiving when it counts? No, I wouldn't put a $20,000 pricetage on that. Not unless it went out and was showing 3'0 and winning. Then I might reconsider. But as the horse stands right now, I think she'd be hard-pressed to get $20,000.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I'm thinking it doesn't hurt to try an asking price of $8-$10k, but be open to offers closer to $3-5k. Confirming those changes would help increase his value.

Wow, you think $20,000? Let me ship my TB's down to where you are from!!

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    What's his breeding? I'm always curious about TB lines that produce these nice, big-boned, WB-like ones with a good jump.
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/bold+tipster

He has a lot of Bold Ruler in there (3 times) plus Nasrullah again, which makes Nasrullah twice on bottom and twice on top. So he's a little inbred. He actually did have extra teeth. He also has Ribot, and several TB Sporthorse types I've seen have Ribot in them. Then there's Secretariat too!

My plan over the next bit of time as I return to riding is to put some show miles on him, for both of our benefits! He's a little easier to stay with than my young horse, so it's easier on my body.

With the lessons, he does jump quite a bit flatter, although it took him some time to figure that out! Yay for grabbing mane!

I just have to say that I'm really impressed with your honesty and forthrightness. There are lots---I mean LOTS---of people who would sell him as sound, no maintenance, and never disclose a thing. Good on you. I'm sure you will do well.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    I just have to say that I'm really impressed with your honesty and forthrightness. There are lots---I mean LOTS---of people who would sell him as sound, no maintenance, and never disclose a thing. Good on you. I'm sure you will do well.
    Thank you, I really appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    Wow, you think $20,000? Let me ship my TB's down to where you are from!!
    Thanks for the semi-insult. Anyway, I said $20,000 WITHOUT the EPM. Sorry, but look at the pictures. He jumps very well and is also safe for little kids. I'm not sure what people think it takes for a horse to be worth anything. It's not like this horse just came off the track. His being a TB has nothing to do with anything.

Takes more of a show record at A's and a nice show record at locals. Jumps 3' course easily with changes. Doesn't have to be the show stopper at an A show but should be in the ribbons most of the time and should be doing very well at locals. Always in the ribbons at locals. Sound and sane to command a 20k price tag around here.

Now, always in the ribbons at A's, or at least 90% of the time with an extensive record showing A's. Packer, fancy, easy lead change, sound, sane with ability to move to 3'6 fairly easy will demand much more here.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole