The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is it Ok to ask other trainers to ride?

I am in need of advice. Currently our horse is not showing and finances have caused us to re evaluate our situation. My child wants to ride and show more than anything but our trainer is not the kind that will go out of the way to find Catch rides. Several trainers here on the East coast have asked our child directly to ride. We have also reached out to some and asked if they needed riders. I am just not sure if this is Ok? Do all catch rides have to go through trainers? It seems ours gets uptight if not consulted first, but in the defense of our child, the current trainer doesn't seem to want to find rides for our kid either. In an earlier situation our trainer actually told our child to e-mail or call a certain trainer themselves so is it right that they would get upset if child does just that??? What are your thoughts on this? We don't want to step on toes, but we also know it is unrealistic to rely on our trainer to find rides.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Why not sit down and discuss the matter with the trainer and see what her thoughts are?
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

2 members found this post helpful.

Perhaps a sit down with the trainer to explain that you are looking for catch rides and that if any offers come from someone other than him/her you will provide a list of rides that your daughter is accepting.

If your trainer is not on board with helping your child I'd find a new trainer..

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the advice…we have talked with the trainer many times. That is a good idea about the list. We actually started with this trainer with the promise that being with him will bring her many rides and he also will have many of his own that will need to be ridden. He had her come ride at a show and she and the horse won Champion..it was great…but we later got a BIG BILL including the full split of the trainer's week when we came down for 2 days and the horse was there for an amateur client who rode it as well. When we questioned it ..well we were not asked to come ride his horses at a show again

Mom, re-read Skydy's last sentence. Trainers who are not upfront about costs do not get my vote. Trainers who lure you in with promises and don't keep them do not get my vote.

If the trainer has told you/your child to make contacts on her own, then why ask again? Just do it. But make sure you have a very detailed discussion about expectations/costs with the person whose horse you're catch-riding.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Why not sit down and discuss the matter with the trainer and see what her thoughts are?
    This is the solution to all of it-- the protocol for catch-riding kiddo, the Oops bill from a horse show or whatever else is ailing in your relationship.

The conversation is best done before the event. No one can complain or surprise if they were informed first and had a chance to discuss the terms.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

The discussion will be brought up again..Thanks. We have had this conversation. I am just wondering if other trainers are comfortable not going through the trainer or is it OK in the horse world to contact the kid outright???

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Most professionals prefer to handle issues like this between trainers. I would be very surprised if a good pro would welcome being solicited by a child asking for rides (especially without the support of her own trainer.)
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

If your child really is wanting to show and is getting offers to catch ride other trainer's horses, I would "consult" your trainer by just straight up telling him that she will be riding said catch rides at said show. No need to discuss anything with him or to ask his "permission", you have already talked with him about the possibility of this and it sounds like he has not helped find your child anything to show.
    If your child is getting asked to catch ride, she should jump on the chance because once she turns it down, that trainer will move on to find another kid. Don't let one trainer hold your child back from other opportunities.

6 members found this post helpful.

Our trainer supports her that is not the issue. He said he wants her to catch ride and thinks she would ride any horse well. He just doesn't want to be bothered with finding them. You have all been most helpful and have given me an insight to what I needed to know..Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by mom2ride View Post
    I am in need of advice. Currently our horse is not showing and finances have caused us to re evaluate our situation. My child wants to ride and show more than anything but our trainer is not the kind that will go out of the way to find Catch rides. Several trainers here on the East coast have asked our child directly to ride. We have also reached out to some and asked if they needed riders. I am just not sure if this is Ok? Do all catch rides have to go through trainers? It seems ours gets uptight if not consulted first, but in the defense of our child, the current trainer doesn't seem to want to find rides for our kid either. In an earlier situation our trainer actually told our child to e-mail or call a certain trainer themselves so is it right that they would get upset if child does just that??? What are your thoughts on this? We don't want to step on toes, but we also know it is unrealistic to rely on our trainer to find rides.
    I see no problem with your child accepting catch rides from other trainers or seeking out the rides. Your above scenario sounds much like what occured with my daughter. By taking initiative, my daughter had some amazing opportunities. You have to look out for what is best for your daughter. If I had waited for my daughter's trainer to find catch rides, she would of been waiting forever.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Most professionals prefer to handle issues like this between trainers. I would be very surprised if a good pro would welcome being solicited by a child asking for rides (especially without the support of her own trainer.)
    Not true in our situation.

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    Mom, re-read Skydy's last sentence. Trainers who are not upfront about costs do not get my vote. Trainers who lure you in with promises and don't keep them do not get my vote.

If the trainer has told you/your child to make contacts on her own, then why ask again? Just do it. But make sure you have a very detailed discussion about expectations/costs with the person whose horse you're catch-riding.

Carol
    Very true. A true catch ride is just that, the rider does not pay. We had a situation where my daughter was asked to catch ride and them at the last minute trainer wanted us to pick up the costs saying they were doing us a favor by letter her ride. Said no to that "opportunity."

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    Not true in our situation.
    But yours is an isolated instance, the situation Lucassb describes is much more common amongst trainers.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2ride View Post
    Our trainer supports her that is not the issue. He said he wants her to catch ride and thinks she would ride any horse well. He just doesn't want to be bothered with finding them. You have all been most helpful and have given me an insight to what I needed to know..Thank You
    It sounds like you are on your own to find rides & decide to accept them. Now I think it's a good idea to go thru the trainer so they can advise you of what may be a good or bad situation, but your trainer has stated he has no interest in finding catch rides outside of his barn...which there really is no incentive for him to. He makes no money from it, it doesn't help him out & he could potentially lose a client if you decide to switch barns. If your daughter has ridden successfully for other trainers, let them know she is still available & willing.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Most trainers do not like the catch riding situation because they can lose the client easily and usually the trainer offering the "catch ride" has that in mind, and is super nice. As someone else pointed out, you need to look out for your daughter. Nobody else does even if they tell you they do. Only if it fits their plans or there is some money to be made. And the whole catch ride thing is very elastic. People are flattered by that term so many use it, and then the bills come. It is very usual in this business for people to make promises and then after say "as you know the expenses are high and this is a nice horse, it helps your daughter's career." The best thing is to talk about it before hand, but sometimes you may lose the ride since there is always someone else willing to pay for the "catch ride." Deception is part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by leyla25 View Post
    Most trainers do not like the catch riding situation because they can lose the client easily and usually the trainer offering the "catch ride" has that in mind, and is super nice. As someone else pointed out, you need to look out for your daughter. Nobody else does even if they tell you they do. Only if it fits their plans or there is some money to be made. And the whole catch ride thing is very elastic. People are flattered by that term so many use it, and then the bills come. It is very usual in this business for people to make promises and then after say "as you know the expenses are high and this is a nice horse, it helps your daughter's career." The best thing is to talk about it before hand, but sometimes you may lose the ride since there is always someone else willing to pay for the "catch ride." Deception is part of the game.
    My sentiments exactly. While I think a trainer should be confident enough in their program to not be terrified of a client catch riding for another pro, I can't help but wonder if the OP's pro has a fairly lackadaisical attitude toward the client? First, they don't seem to care what you do. In addition as a parent of a "child" I would prefer my trainer's input into the quality and safety of the catch ride mount. Most fairly active show barns have a few riders about that would or could fill the bill. Why are none of their clients/students riding the horse? Have they figuered out that he's tricky?
    Offering catch rides is the classic means of poaching, though of course in this case the OP has indicated that money is tight so she (and child) might not be the prospect some of the other pros think she is. (Not meaning to be insulting or personal, but lets face it, show barns are generally not interested in new clients who are currently not willing or able to bring a big checkbook.) Unless child is a truly exceptional rider (and she might be) the offers might stop if trainers discover that Mom and Dad don't have deep pockets.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Also I may add that catch riding is of no interest to the trainer because it may cause problems with paying customers. If the catch riding kid can do better without paying why are they paying so much and not getting results? The trainer is not going to tell them that the kid is not a good rider and should do pottery or some other hobby because that will not be business wise. There is always another trainer that might find 'talent" on the kid and can lease them a horse to bring out that talent. It's tricky for the trainer(can't blame them for trying to keep their business alive) so, you need to be in charge. If you don't have the means, plan to work on this as if it was a full time job.

I am a trainer and have used catch riders here or there, especially for ponies too small for me to ride, or for a sale horse that needs to get in a junior or children's division. I would appreciate some sort of an email that says something like:

Hi my name is Jane, mother of Lisa a junior rider 16 years old 5'3" 110lbs looking for catch rides this season has had success as a junior rider with this or that results in the past and this or that reference and is now horseless and charges $20(or whatever) per ride, we are going to the following shows...enclosed is a picture of her riding, phone number, blah blah.

I would definitely keep someone like that in mind!
    Last edited by Horseymama; Feb. 21, 2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

That's great except jrs. are not suppossed to get paid, and if they are contemplating a scholarship with a NCAA team they will lose their eligiability if someone supplies that information. Of course you can do whatever you want without advertising it. Many times trainers in your situation buy presents for the rider as a token of their appreciation.