The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Old dog collecting stuff?

He's been doing it for a while now. Tonight I came in from feeding and he had two pairs of shoes, a tea towel, a sock and my good scarf. He looks so pleased with himself that he has all of these goodies... but I'm starting to worry that he's getting senile.

He's a 13 year old Cavalier King Charles. I did mention it to my vet but he said not to worry.

Thanks.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I don't know, but I'd let him keep it. Maybe it's rational, he really, really is comfortEd by having you around him (via your wonderful smell). So when you're not around he can have you.
    My cat whom I adopted after she was spayed, had a litter once in her past. In her teens she "fell in love" with a catnip bag that she'd call for, look for, find and pick up and carry around the house, then lie down with it tucked next to her tummy. It was a surrogate kitten. She lost it for six months and went nuts with joy when she found it.
    I think your dog sounds sweet and I'd let him have a stash of "security" things and respect their importance to him. Senility that expresses this way isn't a bad thing. I also love it when older animals sense of self grows, when they say "I deserve this".

My geriatric does this too. Although, she's always been a bit of a hoarder. Never chews or is destructive, just must "collect".

I wouldnt worry, he probably feels really good about his new collections.

He chose all very smelly familiar things; I think he's losing his grip a little and his collection makes him feel safe and on solid ground. You could choose things to give him or let him keep selecting his own but I think it's good for him to have them.

I had a doberman who had his treasure trove of white things in the corner of the yard - a stolen paper plate, a sock or two, anything white. I'd regularly go and collect his treasures and throw them away (or wash them) and he'd start again.

StG

Sounds a little senile but very sweet. Maybe find a few old items that could be dedicated to the stash. It might help you're nicer accessories from walking off.

Tell him to stop watching Fox News.

Oh wait, you're in England.

Maybe it's your smell he's after? What if you gave him a freshly used t-shirt for his bed and switched them out occasionally? Maybe he wants a little more security that his person is there.

he loffs you!!...and having you near him, via the scent of you on your belongings, makes him happy.......whether or not it is senility, what does it matter?......it makes him happy, and is certainly showing how much YOU mean to him..you are what he chooses to have closeby for comfort.........

yeah, give him something less valuable to you..........a slept on pillowcase, old slippers,socks............
    whatta sweet old guy!

I think it's sweet. Just had me worried for a bit. If only he'd stop leaving shoes behind doors... I've tripped over them a few times now!

My three year old mutt does this, except he gathers his "babies" (his stuffed animals), his balls, bones and the cat's bed and brings them all into his big oversized dog bed. he looks so content with all his 'things' in his space. Then I clean up and put everything back in the toy box and gradually he will pull everything out and bring it to bed.

Are you all saying that it will get worse with age? Oy!

Maybe as he's gotten older and less active, he's looked for new hobbies and found it in collecting? I think senility would be more like confusion and unhappy aimlessness, not pleased and focused action.

Oh, he hasn't slowed down much at all. He's still running about like a mad thing.

At least I know where to look for odd socks now.

Perhaps he's losing his hearing or sight or smell...something. Or going a bit senile, causing him to want the security of his person around. Has your schedule changed at all? Do you have a new job/person in your life/pet? All of these things "could" potentially start a hoarding behaviour.

But as long as he is acting normally otherwise, I wouldn't worry. Maybe give him a couple of "special" items of yours, t-shirts, old shoes, socks, whatever, so he stops stealing clothes you actually need.