The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

two sticks,

Where did you get the palm one done? I have a friend that gets refused all the time by artists for her palm tattoo. No one wants to do it. The Bird of Paradise on your ankle is beautiful. Same artist?

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    I basically worked really hard for 20 minutes to keep my intestines from shooting out of my rear.

But I'm scared. And I can't decide where she needs to go.
    I prefer the tattoos to be in areas which will not be uncovered when I wear tanks or dresses. And I want them to look spectacular with a bikini.

I'm so torn.
    20 minutes? Really? That's like the blink of an eye! If all you have to last for the seahorse is 20 minutes, I say bite the bullet and just do it.

If it were me, I'd likely put it opposite your other one on the other side. But I like things to be even, and I can't open the link since I'm at work.

I have over 12 hours into my back, which is not done. Hopefully this link works:Watercolor taken after the first 5 or so hours... I unfortunately don't have any updated pictures of it. There were parts that definitely had me doing some deep breathing exercises, and others that were just meh. It covers nearly every square inch from left to right, shoulder to waist, and top to bottom from the base of my neck to just above my tailbone.

I love seeing everyone's pictures, there is some really great artwork here!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    two sticks,

Where did you get the palm one done? I have a friend that gets refused all the time by artists for her palm tattoo. No one wants to do it. The Bird of Paradise on your ankle is beautiful. Same artist?
    I got the palm one done when I worked at a shop, one of the artists said "Let me do your palm so we can watch how it fades." And it does. Within 6 months it was almost completely gone. All that remains now is a faint black line from the shadow and a tiny part of the lettering. I wouldn't recommend a palm tattoo for anyone who actually wants to keep it. You'd have to touch it up every few months. The skin on your palm just sheds way too much to really keep any ink there. Here's a pic of it today, that I just snapped with my cell phone (sorry quality isn't the best!).

My work is from 3 artists, the one who did my foot is in CO (thanks!), the one who did most of my back and my palm in Santa Barbara, CA, and my current artist (sleeves, sides) is in Camarillo, CA.
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

I think the seahorse is gorgeous and would look really good in on the back of your shoulder or something!

Also.. yes, you're a wimp :P haha, but don't worry - most people are! it IS painful!

This is my tattoo. I have a pretty high pain tolerance - I didn't cry at all but Not going to lie I did take a few shots of booze before bedtime to help me sleep!

First session was 6 hours and just lining, then I had a 4 hour session, and then my last session was 8 hours. I still have PLENTY more hours to go. My tendons were sore for a week afterwards. Also getting the area on the inside of my elbow (the 'ditch') was so, so painful.

First session line art
    First session line art (yes my tattoo is a cover up, thats why its all jumbled in the middle)
    2nd Session
    3rd session
    3rd Session
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Oh also wanted to add that you guys all have beautiful tattoos! I'm loving all the color going on
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Heinz - love your back piece - you will have to post pics when it's finished! Also, take pics every step if you can - I have a series of my back from start to finish (missing 1 step dang it) and it's really neat to see the whole progression at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by two sticks View Post
    Heinz - love your back piece - you will have to post pics when it's finished! Also, take pics every step if you can - I have a series of my back from start to finish (missing 1 step dang it) and it's really neat to see the whole progression at the end.
    Thank you. I have photos somewhere, but it looks a bit wonky right now. There are some waves added that are only partially colored, the horse has a bit more detail but is also not finished...I tell people my artist has ADD. It's been nearly two years since I had it worked on, life just got in the way, and with the house now I've usually got other places my extra money is better spent. Someday I'll get it finished!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Well, I think the seahorse looks elegant. I don't know where you should put it though I think it would look good on your backside if done properly.
    on my ass?
    lol. negative.

though I used to always joke about getting Care Bear Heart tattooed on my butt.
    Those critters all had a little red heart on their right butt cheek.

I suspect that would be relatively painless, as tattoos go. Lots of fat.
    Sadly, my hip [directly over the greater trochanter] is hard as a rock. Not much fat there..

The next issue is that it has been brought to my attention that in the tattoo world, a seahorse is the universal sign for lesbian.
    I have enough trouble with boys as it is...I don't want them to think that I'm not interested.
    Problem or not?

20 minutes? Really? That's like the blink of an eye! If all you have to last for the seahorse is 20 minutes, I say bite the bullet and just do it.

If it were me, I'd likely put it opposite your other one on the other side. But I like things to be even, and I can't open the link since I'm at work.
    My Kaboom tattoo took 20 minutes. I think the seahorse would take quite a bit longer. As as some have suggested, I think I would need to do 2 sittings.

That's how I am too. I'm BIG into things being symmetrical. To the point where I won't buy a horse with a crooked stripe down it's face. I think it would balance my torso out quite well to be on the opposite side but up a little higher. The tatt is big enough that it would over lap onto my rib cage

Though the opposite side over the anatomical hip might work OK as well with balance. That would be the greater trochanter--not the iliac crest which most people think of as "hip".
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Yes, either you're a wimp or your tatt artist was heavy-handed. I have my tattoo in the same place and although the outline was painful, especially over the bone, it was not unbearable. I went back for some color touchup and it didn't hurt in the least, and dare I say - it felt good!

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    on my ass?

The next issue is that it has been brought to my attention that in the tattoo world, a seahorse is the universal sign for lesbian.
    I have enough trouble with boys as it is...I don't want them to think that I'm not interested.
    Problem or not?
    Not, because the only people who are going to recognize the meaning are those who it applies to. Don't think the general public is privy to the meaning, and lots of people have Seahorse tattoos who are straight as well. Seahorse has lots of different meanings/representations.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

By backside, I didn't mean your rump. I meant from the tailbone to the neck.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

No advice but OMG OP, my friend Emily designed the original for you!!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Dude, just use EMLA next time. It will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Dude, just use EMLA next time. It will help.
    You can also use Bactine which is a pain reducing and cleansing spray. A lot of people say it helps. Personally I just think it stings when applied more than any numbing benefits, but a lot of people use it and my current artist swears by it.

http://www.bactine.com/ (You want the spray)

Quote Originally Posted by JLD View Post
    oh man, now you've freaked me out. I am planning my first tatto for my left wrist. Small, text. I was thinking it wouldn't be so bad because it won't take that long. but now I'm ascared. I mean I've handled kidney stones and two kids so that's something. But there were larrrge amounts of drugs involved.

I love the seahorse, OP. LOVE. I don't even know if it needs eyelashes to look girlier. It's fantastic and would look good anywhere.
    I just have one tattoo, and its on my wrist. It only took about 15 minutes, and the worst part of it was coloring it in. The outline just tickled a little. But I definitely wouldn't say any of it was "omg, I'm going to pass out!" painful. Not even close. Just lots of little bee stings. I guess I had a decent artist.

Quote Originally Posted by JustTheTicket View Post
    I just have one tattoo, and its on my wrist. It only took about 15 minutes, and the worst part of it was coloring it in. The outline just tickled a little. But I definitely wouldn't say any of it was "omg, I'm going to pass out!" painful. Not even close. Just lots of little bee stings. I guess I had a decent artist.
    OK, that makes me feel better, I'm not gonna lie.
    Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    No advice but OMG OP, my friend Emily designed the original for you!!
    YUP!! It's freakin AWESOME!!

In case anyone is interested I have to give Emily a shout out.
    She does artwork with tear drops, and line artwork. My horse was done from one solid line. When I saw it, I envisioned it colored in so we did that. It looks stupendous.

The bizz is called Pony Drops
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pony-Drops/187218946185

If you look at the photos on her facebook. Scroll down to the 2009 work and you'll find my horsie before he was filled in.

Emily used to have a website but I can't find it.
    I actually used her for Area V Adult Rider awards 2 years ago as well.
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    By backside, I didn't mean your rump. I meant from the tailbone to the neck.
    I was actually checking myself out earlier in the mirror. You might be on to something--along with the person who mentioned the love handle area.

That might look pretty snazzy. And then I could do it a little bigger too. I bet that spot will hurt like a SOB though.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

A lot of women who are really into tattoos have done things like the seahorse on their entire back but that's very large and intricate. Frankly, I think it would look good between your shoulder blades with the head on your neck or with the whole thing on the small of your back. Both of those sound nice to me.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I tell you, the palm of the hand really, really smarts. Really smarts.
    I LOVE my Chickens!