The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Walmart is on my way home, so I often shop after the barn. One time I was in the checkout line. I'm obviously horsified- wearing breeches, boots, and a red/black plaid horrifying ugly barn coat. I have hay in my hair, and overall it's obvious I'm country. So there is a woman in front of me checking out, and a guy behind me, impatiently waiting. He kept doing the "shopping cart creep" where they just keep moving their cart closer and closer to you, even though you can't go any faster since you're just waiting in line. I was being respectful of the woman in front of me and giving her space, since I know I have a smell radius. Well, the man behind me kept creeping, until he hit the smell radius. I was watching him out of the corner of my eye, and the expression on his face was priceless. He settled down and waited impatiently at a much more respectful distance

1 members found this post helpful.

My rule is pretty much anything goes if you aren't going to be in close proximity to anyone for more than a minute or two.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

I go places like the grocery store or gas station on my way home from the barn. There simply aren't enough hours in the day to do everything I need to do, let alone change clothes so I don't chance offending a few folks. I've honestly never really had much of an issue with it until I moved to the next town over recently. I've never gotten SO many dirty looks from people in the grocery store before for wearing my breeches! And the funniest part is, these people were dressed even WORSE than me (threadbare PJ bottoms on 50+ year old women, a guy in blue windpants with the white stripes down the sides paired with shiny dress shoes, etc). I don't care what others wear in public, but I did find it amusing they were giving me such obviously horrible looks when they weren't exactly dressed up themselves!
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

City of delusion in the state of total denial

In college I was running late coming home from the barn and showed up in my capacity as a TA wearing jeans and field boots. That was the day that the professor had the flu and asked me to teach class.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I forgot about the grocery store manager. I have horses at home and some boarded a few miles away. There is a grocery store in between. I have a HUGE personal space bubble. HUGE doesn't even cover it. I was in line and I felt something in my hair. The store manager, MANAGER, was pulling hay out of my hair. I didn't give a hoot about the hay in my hair. I was completely skeeved out by the manager touching me. GROSSSSSSS

Short answer is yes... unless I'm going somewhere nice, obviously. In which case I would shower and change.

Horse, goat, dog. I don't really care. Smells better to me than most perfumes!

Of Course. I try not to have fresh manure on my shoes / boots though.

Once I had been bitten by a particularly mean horse. After a couple people at the barn packed me in ice, doused me in some sort of iodine to clean the wound and wrapped me up as best they could with horsie first aid stuff, I really needed a glass of wine, so stopped at the liquor store on my way home.
    In hindsight, I'm surprised they served me - I had spent 30 minutes alternately in tears, in shock and hyperventilating. There was dried blood, torn T-shirt ... I can only imagine what I looked like.

I typically do, but never get looks. Of course, I live in a farm town who refuses to upgrade its status from village, where typically all the other customers are farmers or equestrians.

I do find, though, that if I go elsewhere most people are more interested in my tall boots and breeches than the smell that might be coming off of me. Or, at least that's what I tell myself! ha!
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

I do farrier work as well as farm for a living. I'm way past caring how dirty I am. I often run errands while I'm out trimming and you can get pretty dirty hanging on to horses legs. I simply ignore any odd looks and generally I don't get that many...not that I notice.

Yep, just went shopping at Macys today and had my barn shoes on!. Felt a little bad for the guy in the shoe department, but scored some really nice boots!

If I didn't go out smelling like a horse, like diesel, like whatever...I'd never go out, LOL!

No way am I showering and changing to run an errand or go get gas or grab a coffee. I'd never get anywhere and would only be "stinky" again within minutes of getting home.

However I live in a pretty agricultural area for CT. My town doesn't have stores really (or a post office, streetlights, etc) so I go one town over and that's all dairy farms. So they "smell' worse than me, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Yes, all the time. The barn I ride at is near a lot of shopping so I sometimes pick up things on the way back. My dentist is up that way too, so an eleven 'o clock appointment is perfect timing to ride in the 9:00 lesson before. I work there in the summer too (camp) and I often stop at Starbucks on the way home.

Took my boyfriend out to the barn and we went out to lunch after, tall boots and all. Asked him if he was embarrassed. Said I looked too hot to be embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    I also pick stalls at night in my pjs, then go inside and climb right into bed.
    Oh, I didn't see that at first..........

All the time...grocery store, gas station, local non-fancy restaurants, etc.

I was recently asked by a total city girl where I got my breeches since apparently equestrian "fashion" is now "in". Had a good giggle about that.

I also spotted someone in faux riding boots with spur looking things on the backs but they weren't real spurs. I did a double take like, what's the point!?

I went to the grocery store on the way home yesterday. OF COURSE I had to run into someone from my new job.....

Oh this reminded me of the time my daughter and I were in Krogers,having come from the barn! We're back by the meat counter and the lady next to us was picking up a pkg. of hamburg,then sniffing and put it back down,pick up another sniff and put it back down.Well.I'm 1 to crack open the gallon milk jug and smell it,so I didn't think too much of it.It dawned on me that we had come from the barn,so I just thought,oh she must smell horse! I say"Mam,that's just horse-" She threw the package down and left quickly to ring the meat counters' bell that's when we realized she thought I meant horse meat!!

3 members found this post helpful.

Yup. Although I usually keep body spray in my purse so I will usually spritz before stepping out of the car.

Yeah, flowery spray and horse smell. I'm sure I smell lovely!

To me, it falls under the category of "work dirt". There is nothing wrong with "work dirt" at the grocery store or on any other everyday errand.

Just as I would not expect an auto mechanic, asphalt/road worker, construction worker, chef or line cook etc.. to go home to shower before doing what they need to do on the way home, someone coming from the barn is sporting "work dirt"... It, and the smells, associated with all smelly occupations, are exempt.

I've given up trying to be spotlessly clean. I clean mud off my shoes/boots at work bc I wore them in the mud to feed my 4. There is hay in my Subaru. Dog paws are on my jeans.