The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you go out in public smelling like horse?

I was just thinking about this today. I often wonder if I'm numb to the horse stink smell, and people think I reek, or if I'm ok.

I clean stalls in the am, go inside, take a shower, may or may not wash my hair. Clean clothes, off to work. I wonder if my hair smells like horse? No one has ever said anything.

I also pick stalls at night in my pjs, then go inside and climb right into bed. Is that gross? It doesn't bother me. I dont' have road apples on my clothes, but I'm just not concerned about it!

Am I the only pigpen?

1 members found this post helpful.

I go out in breeches and barn boots after cleaning ten stalls.

Anyone at the fancy organic co-op near the barn who gives me a face gets the "You don' KNOW ME!" look.

I am not driving back in the opposite direction to change, and I'm not peeling out of my fleece breeches in the cold barn aisle either!

I have often gone out in public smelling like horse - I work at a farm! If we have a hard day and need a pizza and beer or margaritas and queso dip, we go straight to the restaurant. I think we get faster service too...
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

I regularly pop into the grocery store on the way home from working at the barn, and last year I went Christmas shopping after a riding lesson. I once had a cashier ask if I had been around horses, to which I blushed and apologized, but she just laughed and said she missed the smell!

I guess we really are immune to the aroma of eau de equine.
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I go straight home for a shower after doing barn work (eg, stalls) but definitely stop by the grocery store on my way home if i've just been riding. If its been really hot though I'll usually shower first - smells are more obvious in the heat. I do notice "the smell" more since my time away from riding so try to be more aware of it.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I generally combine trips to the barn with errands to run. I do usually try to wear more obviously breech-y breeches and keep my boots or half chaps on, so that I at least look like a rider and not just a very dirty and smelly person.

It's an entertaining conversation-starter, at least. I stopped at a cupcake place on my way home from a lesson, the owner asked me since I ride if I knew so-and-so (much like "oh, you're from New York, do you know..."), and lo and behold, she boarded at my barn. (:
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Oh yes, quite frequently. And I wear jeans and paddock boots, not breeches. And one or another disreputable old coat, in winter. So I just look like a grubby farm worker, not an equestrian.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I do routinely, and I have little excuse as my horse is at home. We might just be that rural here, but I've gotten compliments on my boots even when they have manure on them
    Quarry Rat

Absolutely.

Is there anything wrong with this?

I have smelled WORSE people at the grocery, et al, than horse.

I have actually never thought about me smelling after doing horses. I have thought about b.o. but not smelling of horses.

Better to smell of horses than perfume.

I do that often, but usually only locally. Used to have my own groupies of little old men and a few women of that same generation that had farmed with horses follow me around because they missed the horse smell so much They are mostly gone now, and much a sadder place because it was good listening to the stories. I think what I do in winter is worse - go to town smelling of diesel fuel and smoke from pushing snow all day long
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I frequently run errands after beng at the barn, there is nothing on my side of town and I'm not about to go home, change and clean up, then drive all the way back across town to get my groceries. I also occasionally go to a very casual restaurant in horse clothes. No one has ever complained..either I'm too scary looking in breeches and tall black boots or this area is just horsey enough that people have figured out what's going on and aren't offended.

I did have trouble at work once. When BO and BM were out of town, I took AM feeding duty as the barn is on my way to work. I was just throwing hay and graining, in and out in 20 minutes, and I'm already 1/2 way to work, so I just kept going and went to the office. No complaints until the day I managed to step in a big pile of manure and didn't notice it until I'm sitting in my cube and people around me started asking what smelled like horse sh%#t. They were quite surprised to find that it actually was horse sh%#t.

oh yeah. in the winter i'm in breeches and boots so there's an obvious explanation for the aroma; in the summer i change into shorts and sandals before i leave the barn, so i will occasionally get a confused look as ppl sniff the air behind me. but as others have said, i'm not going to drive all the way home to shower and change just to go back out to the store that's on my way home from the barn in the first place.

i also get into horse conversations with the cashiers, etc, it being a horsey area.

i used to help out a couple of friends with their farm animal shelter; if you want a smell that just. won't. quit, clean out a goat barn.
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Of course.

Is horse a bad smell?

Still a lot of farm country here, so I will go out with barn clothes on. I am more aware if it's summer and have been sweating both from smell and everything sticking to me (dirt, hair etc). At foaling time always go between bed and the barn in the same clothes, never thought about that being a bad thing
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I live in the backwoods of VA. We all smell like livestock of some kind. We all have trucks full of dirty stinky dogs too. Now if our hair was done and we were clean everyone would think it's bull riding night. LOL

3 members found this post helpful.

All the time. Most of my errands are on the way home from the barn so I frequent the grocery store, pet store, and Target in my nasty barn clothes. I know I smell, especially in the winter when my coat gets so disgusting I can notice the smell, but whatever I don't want to go home first.

I did have to retire a watch to barn-only after sitting at work one day realizing that something on me smelled distinctly barn-like. I determined it was coming from my wrist.

HAHa! I love these! Last night was cleaning a poopy tail night, complete with baby oil to coat the tail and all sorts of other potions.

I came inside smelling like baby and poop. I washed my hands/arms but the stink never went away. I can still sorta smell it on my hands after many washings and a shower.

I routinely stop at Kroger on the way home from the barn. I smell of horse and my boots smell of horse crap since I've groomed, ridden, groomed, and then done chores as minor as topping off one or two buckets to mucking out several stalls, to turning in all the horses.

Don't care what others think about it.

Actually, I may have made a non-horse person smell of horse today.
    As I was driving down the street to my work, I saw a few people surrounding someone lying on the sidewalk. We went from warm enough to rain to bitterly cold, so all coated surfaces are a sheet of ice. 4 months pregnant lady had taken a heck of a tumble, and my coworker (who had also stopped) had called an ambulance. I have a navy wool quarter sheet that I keep in my truck for emergencies, so I added it to the pile of blankets that people were bringing to keep her warm til the ambulance came (15 minutes later - in town!!!)
    I got teased by my coworker because he noticed the faint traces of horsehair on the wool .
    As for day to day - will often stop into our local grocery either from doing chores or riding - and our cashiers know me well so we often get asked about the boys.
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I try to do a cursory clean-up (change out of barn mucking boots and barn coat, and wash hands well), but if I have things to do I just go do them. I live in a very horsey town so nobody bats an eye at someone shopping in riding clothes. I figure if people think it's fine to go out reeking of cigarette smoke, cologne, or laundry sheets I can't possibly be more offensive than those!