The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mattress recommendations

Our ancient full-size mattress is not sufficient for our combined back pain and assortment of animals that like to sleep with us. But we've never actually bought a mattress before. Any recommendations on brands, things to look for, etc.?
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Go try out a buttload of them. All different types and different brands of each type! And read up online of best types for whatever aches/pains you may have or for whether you're a side or back sleeper, etc.

We recently went through mattress hell, and let me tell you it's almost a full time job to find the right mattress for a couple when there's chronic pains involved.

For us what *finally* worked was a memory foam, but it had to be the type with a *thick* layer of the really soft squishy foam on top. AND...it had to be on an adjustable frame. Like a hospital type bed that you can raise or lower the head or foot of the bed. That combo made an enormous difference for me while still keeping my husband comfy too.

But lordy did we have to go try numerous mattresses for a long time first. And go back and re-try and go back for comparisons, etc. And we had to take the time to lay on them for a while, not 5 minutes only. A little embarassing at first, but the stores were all pretty understanding. 20 minutes trying the ones we liked worked well, gave it time for any pains or aches to show up.

And we did end up with a knock-off type from a Bob's Discount Furniture store. The mattress we found before that, that worked the best was a Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme. That model with the adjustable frame was $5,000! Ouch! A very comparable one in comfort and with a better waranty at Bob's came to $1400.

Go try them all! And maybe try posting what types of aches and pains...and how you sleep. (side or back, etc) My issues are chronic pain in the joints...mainly shoulders and hips. And I'm a side sleeper. (not a good combo) So for me there had to be a lot of weight distribution, a lot of give to protect the joints and the adjustable frame helps relieve a *lot* of pressure on those areas and keep me on my back more than my sides. It's made a huge difference in both how much sleep I get and to lessen daily pain a whole lot.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Sleep Number Bed by Select Comfort (Pillow top). Best money we ever spent!!!!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

1 members found this post helpful.

Yup, it's too hard to guess what you might like!

I just bought a mattress for my spare room and I was pretty irritated with the new styles. They pretty much did away with the flipable mattress of old.
    And everything is too soft and pillowtop. After trying a whole bunch the salesman asked me, "why don't you just sleep on a hard wood floor?".

I have a new older style flipable matterss that is nice and firm. I bought one of those 1.5" memory foam toppers from Wallmart for it and the set up is perfect for me.

Just remember, you can talk them down BIG TIME. Also, just a few weeks ago there was a Groupon for Mattress Firm. You might be able to find it again...

The mattresses I go for are standing along the back wall of the stores. I ended up with a totally doable queen mattress for $250 and I talked him into free delivery. The first quote for the $250 mattress was $450. I threatened to go to Sam's as I opened the door to leave. Works like a charm.

I suppose to get a really nice pillow top mattress that you will sink into, these days you'll spend 1K or so.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Yeah, I've got one of those nice Cali King sized pillow-top mattresses. It's comfy but a pain in the ass to move.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Husband is a side sleeper, I am side or stomach. I get lower back pain; not too bad, but if I sleep wrong it's aggravated. He gets back pain and sometimes shoulder/neck if he sleeps wrong. He likes a really firm mattress, I kind of like to sink in, but that does seem to bother my back so I guess I should resign myself to a firmer one. We do have a 2" memory foam topper that I like a lot.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Sleep Number Bed by Select Comfort (Pillow top). Best money we ever spent!!!!
    I second this.

Without it one of us would be very unhappy since he requires a really hard bed and I require a really soft bed.

Love love love our new memory foam; icomfort Prodigy by Serta. Has completely cured my low back issues; my massage therapist can't believe the positive changes...

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I have lower back issues, DH is heavy, so a traditional mattress was not an option. We went with the Tempurpedic, I hate squishy, so no pillow top or anything. I love it. I was just traveling for 13 of 15 days and missed it so much. It is comfy for back, side or tummy sleepers. My fave part is not feeling like a storm tossed vessel every time DH rolls over
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Purplnurpl is right about the negotiating mattress prices. Pretty much every place was willing to negotiate and by a healthy amount! Seems they worry when you decide a mattress isn't for you and try to leave. There wasn't a lot of wiggle-room in the actual Tempurpedics...BUT...they will start tossing all sorts of incentives to you. So even though we walked away from the $5k set up that was heavenly...they offered not just free delivery, free mattress removal, etc but they also threw in $300 worth of pillows, $400 in high thread count sheets and a $450 gift certificate to either Home Depot or Targets, our choice. (I think there was a third store, but can't remember what it was) They added another incentive every time I glared at Mr Blue for contemplating buying something that price. Although honestly...if that was going to be the ONLY thing I found that relieved pain and let me sleep then $5k would've been spent.

And what's with the mattresses not being flippable anymore? I wonder why...they still seem to have the same life/warranty. Not that it's a bad thing, I once got a mattress wedged *tight* between the boxspring and the ceiling trying to flip it, LOL! I felt like an idiot for that one.

Oh, and if you do go for a memory foam, make sure you ask if it's the type that "sleeps hot" or the newer type with air channel built in or gel added. Although I saved $3600 buying the one I did and it's COMFY as hell, it's the type that stores and builds up body heat. I can only imagine what it's going to be like in summer, I may roast to death. But I've been looking up "cooling" top pads made for this and they're affordable. I hope they work. I loathe being hot and sweaty.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

For me, only a tempurpedic will do. I have had multiple surgeries (in addition to spinal problems) and after the surgeries, I was forced to sleep in one position. Mine is an original--so I can't compare to the different types and other brands that there are out there in memory foam mattresses now but I wouldn't trade the one that I have for anything.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyclubrocks View Post
    Love love love our new memory foam; icomfort Prodigy by Serta. Has completely cured my low back issues; my massage therapist can't believe the positive changes...
    I have the Icomfort too. I bought it for the guest bedroom. It doesn't get hot like the tempurpedics. I have a Serta Black, and like the icomfort better. Wish I had gotten one for my bedroom.

They aren't flippable, because if they are pillow top they only have a top and bottom. A conventional non-pillow top is flippable, because it has a flat surface on both sides.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Beauty Rest True Energy, Bryanna ET Plush.

This mattress we bought Sat during a president sale. woo hoo.

We currently have a tempur pedic cloud supreme which is a few years old. We are now in "hot dog" buns when we sleep. IOW the mattress has sunk. Yes, SUNK. We have turned it, not flipped it - can't. This is our SECOND tempur pedic to go to the hot dog bun status. First one got very very firm hard, so we got a softer one. And, no we have not had them 25 years.

Imagine the continental divide in the mattress. When I sleep on my side my hips are down in the valley or on the side of the mountain. If I sleep next to my husband we roll into the valley. Good, but not always good. wink wink.

To avoid the hot dog bun on my side of the bed, I have tried sleeping in the middle on both the buns edges. Well that is a bit on the crowded side. Mr. Rmh is on his side, then a 11 pound dog at his legs/feet, then the another same size dog, and then me. This is a king bed and it is crowded. Plus since I get hot and cold and hot and cold, toss and turn toss and turn due to the uncomfy nature of the bed, oh and also there was a *huge* dog fight (terriers) under the covers in the pitch dark, we are awaiting the new mattress with great excitement.

We have decided ALL mattresses are only good for maybe 5 years then we toss. I hate the disposable way the earth has become. We will keep the current tempur pedic like we did the other one. But still, we now live in a toss out society sadly. Maybe we could go back to sleeping on hay bales??

To answer some perspective questions as to WHY the tempur pedic has dropped so I can feel my hip (now sore) on the next level down, and it is firm and my hip hurts. Husband says the same thing:

No we do not live in bed.
    We are very healthy and not overweight - ie 500#'s. We are correct or less for our heights and weights.
    No kids have jumped on the bed. Dogs neither.

We have not had the tempur pedic last 25 years. BOTH sunk where we slept over time, a few years each.

Friday at the latest is when the new Beauty Rest will be delivered. I am excited. It also has air chambers so it will keep us cooler than a tempur pedic, although we didn't have heat issue. I think I have more of an issue temperaturewise with the tempur pedic is that they are very cold in the winter, and we live in da SE.

We did cut the tempur pedic mattress from king to queen and it is upstairs. Will do the same with this other TP.

Tempurpedic, classic not pillow top. Have had 3 years and not a bad night yet.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Give it time. You will be in a hot dog bun, just you wait and see.

I had a classic, and then a cloud supreme.

A weanie roast may be in your future! Just think you will already have the buns to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    This is our SECOND tempur pedic to go to the hot dog bun status. First one got very very firm hard, so we got a softer one. And, no we have not had them 25 years.
    Well, the originals (with at least 8" of memory foam) are warrantied for 20 years. If it didn't make the 20 years, I most certainly would have pitched a b!tch on the warranty.

There are less expensive memory foams (including tempurpedics that are cheaper) that have only 4-5 inches of memory foam (there is 4-6" another foam, not just the expensive memory foam.) Most of those only have a 10 year warranty.

I am on year 13 with my original 8" foam tempurpedic and it is like new. If it doesn't make it to 20 years, I can assure you that they will hear from me!
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

I did an extensive amount of research on memory foam mattresses that were not Tempurpedic - it wasn't in my budget. I ended up purchasing this one http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Innovati.../dp/B003CT37L0 in a Cal King and is is seriously the best bed for an amazing price.

It was a risk because although I had tried out memory foam, I had never slept in one for a night before and my SO and I have very different tastes in beds - he prefers really soft, I prefer firm. This bed is the best of both worlds. We've had it for a year now and there's no sagging or compression. Some reviews complain about the initial chemical-y smell when you get it, and it definitely did smell, but we let it air out in our bedroom for 24 hours with the windows open, slept in the guest room that night, and it was fine the next day. It needs at least that amount of time upon receiving it anyway to expand to proper size.

So if you want to spring for memory foam but can't justify spending the price a tempurpedic costs, this bed was totally worth it for me.

If you're a Sam's Club member, they have Serta Memory Foam mattresses on sale for ~1K right now, with free box springs and a $200 Sam's gift card thrown in.

I'm thinking about buying one also.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

We currently have a tempur pedic cloud supreme which is a few years old. We are now in "hot dog" buns when we sleep. IOW the mattress has sunk. Yes, SUNK. We have turned it, not flipped it - can't. This is our SECOND tempur pedic to go to the hot dog bun status. First one got very very firm hard, so we got a softer one. And, no we have not had them 25 years.

Whoa, now I'm *really* glad we didn't get that! I'd have been livid if I spent that kind of money and ended up with a dented mattress!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte