The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blankets for Shipping?

Let me preface this by saying I've never shipped a horse commercial before and this is seriously the most stressful part of our move. The horror stories I've heard!

Herself is going to be leaving mid-March for KY, so I'm assuming that it's still going to be chilly in VT. She's full body clipped.

Should she wear a blanket for shipping? My biggest concern is that she's going to sweat from the nerves, then get chilled. I was thinking a fleece?

She's not getting shipped in boots, since she's a kicker and the last thing I need is for her to get tangled up and panic. I don't know if that makes a difference with the sweating/not sweating factor though.

I don't have a company lined up, since I need a destination point first, so I'm not sure if she'll be going via semi or not.

So many questions, so much stress! Success stories will be much appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I'm sure the more experienced shippers will comment but I would think that as long as the trailer is enclosed, she would at most need a light, breathable stable blanket, maybe something with wicking, like a fleece cooler that has surcingles, buckles, etc. The more horses inside the trailer, too, the warmer it would be.

Kentucky's average March high is 56, low is like 30s.

1 members found this post helpful.

If it were me, I'd probably use something like this
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/thermo...x?cm_vc=Search alone or as a base layer, depending on the temp
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Talk to your shipper for advice. When we shipped from OH to FL in January, the shipper told us what they wanted and how they would de-blanket on the way. Horses started with a medium weight blanket with sheet underneath. Shipper took the blankets off when they stopped in TN or GA - but I'm sure that would depend on the temps that day.

They also suggested no leg wraps because of the scenario you describe.

Horses did great but that's due to the great shipper we had who was very experienced on the route.

Thanks everybody! I like the looks of that sheet, so off to order!

Oldernewbie- Do you mind PMing me who you used?
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Let me preface this by saying I've never shipped a horse commercial before and this is seriously the most stressful part of our move. The horror stories I've heard!
    Of my three times I've used a shipper, it has always been worth it and a great experience!

All three times my horses went naked, per the shipper's request. If a bandage or blanket came undone in the trailer, the horse may get stuck and cause a problem. They also said if it came off, they would not put it back on (completely understandable, IMO). Given all my trips were 15+ hours, I said "alrighty" and everyone turned out fine.
    I once hauled my horse to the hospital in -10oF in a blanket, and within the 30 minute trailer ride there, he was sweating buckets.

We ship horses commercially from frozen PA to hot FL every Jan/Feb and our shipper unblankets along the way. Our horses have always arrived in great condition. We always use Brookeledge.

Keep in mind that IF the rig has 5 or 6 other horses inside of it that it will be pretty warm with all that body heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Thanks everybody! I like the looks of that sheet, so off to order!

Oldernewbie- Do you mind PMing me who you used?
    Happy to say it out in the open - it was C & W Horse Transportation

http://www.candwhorsetrans.com/

I would suggest calling them rather than email.

If you want other suggestions, do a search in this forum - lots of threads about recommends/do not use.

I've used Brookledge and Worley's. In fact, just shipped a horse from Cali to Florida with Worley's. Every time I've shipped commercially in winter I've been told to send a blanket or sheet, but they've never used them on the truck. It gets pretty warm in a rig full of horses

Ditto what others have said - when i've had horses shipped more than an hour, in the company of other horses, we do so without blankets - they get too hot, plus don't want to run the risk of them getting tangled in it, *should* something happen.