The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What do you use for PC Anti-Virus Software? [multiple choice allowed]

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Symantec (formerly Norton)

9 27.27%
  • McAfee

2 6.06%
  • Bit Defender

2 6.06%
  • Microsoft Security Essentials

4 12.12%
  • Other (please identify in thread)

17 51.52%
  • Don't remember

0 0%
  • Whatever came loaded on my PC

1 3.03%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anti-Virus PC Software

What do people prefer as their anti-virus software for PC? I've tried a number of them over the years, Norton-now-Symantec, McAfee, Windows Security Essentials, and know of others such as Bit Defender.

I was surprised a couple years ago when my father's PC somehow picked up some virus, possibly through Facebook, that neither Symantec not McAfee seemed to be able to remove. While I was skeptical of Microsoft's *free* Security Essentials, the price was right and I had no other alternatives at hand, so I loaded it and in about three very very long passes -- and it took all three -- the virus was eradicated, interestingly apparently detected the last two times at nearly the end of the scan.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Stopzilla working 100% for several years now, after getting viruses twice with Macafee, and having to pay them 90 bucks to clean the computer.

I have free McAfee from work. They are kind enough to offer full (lifetime) protection for home machines of employees.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I have two different systems. On my desktop, I have Kaspersky and, on my laptop, I have ESET Smart Security. They're different because the guy who helped me set up my laptop and the wireless network that I installed at the same time recommended ESET but I still had time to go on the desktop's system and then just never bothered to change it over. Both work well. I haven't gotten any viruses on either machine, and I also don't get spam. I'm not computer smart enough to know why they work, but I'm just happy enough that they do.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

GFI Software Vipre Business. We like them because they cover all of computers (5) for one price. And it can all be controlled from our server without having to individually go to each computer to update, for example. We've had no problems with it.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

i have panda, it's free online. seems to work.

I have Avast. Basic is free. Recommended to me by several computer professionals on separate occasions.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I have Kaspersky and Malwarebytes on my work computer. And Norton and Malwarebytes on my personal laptop.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

On my Windows machines, I use MSE. It's free and works fine. The one and only real problem with Windows is IE, which is pretty insecure even on it's highest configurable security settings. You basically have to make the browser all but useless to keep it relatively secure.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

AVG free. So far, so good.

1 members found this post helpful.

I also have AVG, and it is doing it's job so far.
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

Corporate symantec. IMO there is no one product that will catch everything and depending on which virus is currently propagating one av will beat out a other. So I picking by ease of administartion and how finely I can customize it.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

The one thing I've noticed is that a lot of A/V programs aren't as user-configurable as they used to be. I remember how great McAfee was in the early 2k years and I had great control over the settings and what it did when viruses and other threats were found. Now everything is dumbed-down and idiot-proof. I don't think that even the pro/corporate software is as advanced as it I remember it being when I started in IT.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

We use Trend Micro around here, on home and office (about 10) computers. Never had a virus or any problems with the program.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Default AVG for me

I have had Norton's and Macafee in the past with no complaints, but when I would take computer in to shop, repair guys would recoil in horror. I now use free AVG.
    Actually, a couple of weeks ago, I did get both puters hacked. When I took them in, he put a cleaner on with Malware bytes. He said to run it once a week. While I was at the bank that day to close my accounts and open new ones, I saw on TV the DOJ's computers were hacked. You must be vigilant, and keep scanning. UGH
    Another killer of threads

Norton and McAfee used to be great. Now, they are complete "bloatware." They bog your system down and make it so slow that it is ridiculous. No computer professional would ever recommend it.

Most computer pros recommend home and small business users to use AVG or Avast. Both have free versions that are great.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I use Symantec but I also run Spybot and Malwarebytes to pick up non virus junk you can acquire. Every so often I'll run CCcleaner to clear my computer out and an online virus search to catch anything else. I also keep any files and pictures I can't stand to lose on a flash drive just in case.

There are other programs you can use if you still think you have a problem but many of them have a habit of deleting things that could also be necessary for your computer.

AVG, free version. Has worked well for me for several years.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    Stopzilla working 100% for several years now, after getting viruses twice with Macafee, and having to pay them 90 bucks to clean the computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    I have free McAfee from work. They are kind enough to offer full (lifetime) protection for home machines of employees.
    Another vote for Stopzilla. I had both McAfee (thanks to work) and Stopzilla for a while. McAfee never caught a thing, while Stopzilla was busy protecting me.

I also run Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

I've used AVG Free for years and never had any problems.