The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cheapish cob bridle?

Any pointers for a cheapish cob bridle? I don't need reins. Dove has a wee, delicate head. Imagine I could put together something reasonable but it would require digging through containers of tack and .... eh .... effort.

Is there anything out there that's not expensive and not crap, or should I suck it up and spend some time figuring out what I have on hand?

What is cheapish?

I have a Bridleway bridle that I won in a COTH contest. My mare has the typical typey, petite TB mare head: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...92944982_n.jpg

I want to say they go for around $100? Beautiful, gorgeous quality leather out of the bag. It's been in regular use for about six months now and is still gorgeous, broke in quick and I get compliments on it from everyone.

What is cheapish?

I have a Bridleway bridle that I won in a COTH contest. My mare has the typical typey, petite TB mare head: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...92944982_n.jpg

I want to say they go for around $100? Beautiful, gorgeous quality leather out of the bag. It's been in regular use for about six months now and is still gorgeous, broke in quick and I get compliments on it from everyone.

I don't know if you're planning on going to Rolex, but St├╝bben makes some nice ones & always has bargains at their tent.
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Default They're even on sale right now!

Check out the Pinnacle line of products from Schneider's Saddlery.

I've owned more than one and have for the most part been very happy with the quality, although my most recent purchase did bleed a lot (onto my hands) initially. After two or three rides and cleanings it stopped though.

They have many features you'd expect to see in much more expensive tack and feel pretty nice. My last one (before the one I just bought) I used for two years and then sold at a swap meet for almost as much as I paid for it! The reins are mostly garbage (plain flat leather) but you said you don't need them anyhow.

Edited to add - they're even marked down $20 less right now!
    Last edited by JWB; Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Additional information
    The rebel in the grey shirt

1 members found this post helpful.

Heck I like the Premier line from Schneiders too. I wouldn't be embarrassed to show in those even. They're about $40 and the cob size fits my Arab beautifully.

This one and some of the others smartpak has are very nice for the price and come in cob http://www.smartpakequine.com/plymou...x?cm_vc=Search
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

The horze bridles are very nice, I've seen three of them in person and they are nice quality. Although I got mine for %50 I wouldn't mind paying full price if I wasn't so cheap.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Bartville?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I agree with the Schneider's offerings, and also I have had tremendous luck with inexpensive Bobby's bridles and like their sizing on the cobb bridles--both TBs have very cobb-sized heads! (and our Cobb pony has a horse-sized head, go figure!)

http://justbridles.com/

You can even by them by the piece. Like I need a cob cheek piece, cob noseband, but horse everything else. Range from cheap to pricey

1 members found this post helpful.

I like these: http://www.horse.com/item/kincade-ra...dle/SLT900531/

they are pretty, break in well, and hold up nicely. plus, affordable!!

Simkie, I tried to send you a PM but your box is full. I have a brown cob size Bobby's from my retired eventer that I have no use for. I'd be happy to send it to you either to check out the quality or to keep. Feel free to PM me!
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

College football season is HERE!!!

www.skylineequine.com is where I got my mare's bridle. They are surprisingly nice for how cheap they are.